Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 4:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkmoq View Post
    Hey, I've been in the grappling class w/ Jeff for a few months now. I have to say that I'm very happy with the program/instructor. A few of you guys mentioned that Jeff is a salesman more than a real instructor and I have to disagree. It's true that he's not a traditional Sensei with all the bowing and "master" stuff, but that's what I like. If I ask him a question about a technique he'll give me a straight answer instead of a cryptic metaphorical one. He's also not afraid to roll with people in the class which gives me more faith in his abilities. Plus, he's a small guy so he can't just muscle his way through moves like larger instructors might, he has to be very technical.

Aliveness: This is kind of a vague category. You get what you put into it. Nobody sleeps during instruction though. My one potential complaint about "Aliveness" is that the beginners class doesn't have too much time for sparing/rolling built into it. That being said, any student is welcome to stay after class and roll on their own time.

Equipment: Everything is new and in good shape. no complaints.
    Gym Size: It was big when i joined but they have since added another couple thousand square feet. It's very spacious.
    Instructor/Student Ratio: I wish there was more one on one time during the larger classes but Jeff will answer any questions.
    Atmosphere/Attitude: friendly yet serious. There isn't too much horseplay.
    Striking Instruction: I put a 10 here because I've heard good things but I've not taken any striking lessions yet.
    Grappling Instruction: This is my first grappling school but everything is going well so far. I've dramatically improved after a few months of classes. Each move is explained and every detail is explained and justified. Every hand/foot/hip/head etc. position has a logical reason for why it gives you an advantage over your opponent.
    You inflated these rankings, you moron. Take out the 10 for striking, read the goddamn rules for Aliveness (HINT: It's not vague), and reconsider the rest. Scores this high mean you guys are running the state championships and have a facility akin to the New York Knicks.

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 4:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This review is about the gi - BJJ program

Parking is free and easy. Friendly and respectful students. No one is trying to hurt one another. Someone earlier said that the mats are cleaned twice a day. if that is so, then it must be only with anti-bacterial because the mats are still gross with hair and sock lint. The bathroom isn't very clean either.

About Pedro:
    Amazing technical knowledge 10/10. He is a great person to be around when he is there. Pedro Sauer is friendly but usually only speaks with people that understand Portugese. It appears that Jeff decides the moves Pedro Sauer teaches. The moves appear to be based on what Jeff is having difficulty with. Pedro Sauer doesn't roll. He misses classes occasionaly and he only teaches two nights a week max. If he misses a class Jeff teaches.

About Jeff:
    He didn't give me a big salespitch, but he did put pressure on me to sign up right away and sign a long contract for a large sum of money. Jeff is those most immature person in the rooom and makes rules that he doesn't follow. Some of Jeff's moves are suspicious. He should teach only brand new guys and have the Saturday brown belt teach classes if Pedro Sauer isn't available.

instruction level:
    Pedro Sauer: 10/10
    Jeff Gordon: 5/10
    Saturday brown belt: 8/10

Go to several classes before you commit. Very friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Concerning the drawbacks If anything changes I'll keep you posted.
    Last edited by BJJalltheway; 3/26/2009 6:55pm at .

Posted On:
    3/27/2009 10:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I justified every rating I gave with an explanation. Write your own damn review if you have a problem with mine.

I don't know what your problem is but I invite you to **** off.

Posted On:
    3/27/2009 7:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bjjalltheway what do you mean that the moves are suspect?

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 10:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Darkmoq,

you put a 10 for stiking instruction because "you heard good things about it." That is not the purpose of this thread.

mrehohl,

Jeff's move didn't work realistically for me or my training partner. He was impatient explaining the move and he kept repeating "pretty basic"

I decided to move along to another gym but I recommend this place to anyone because of Pedro Sauer and the good atmosphere.

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 10:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gracie Jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi I am a member of the Jeff Gordon mma and this is my review and thoughts about other posts.
    It Has the best Bjj instructor of BJJ in the world. I dont say this,the abhu dhabi Combat club says that. He is a living legend trained with Rickson Helio all the brothers snce young.
    Pedro Sauer's gave black belts to : ww.pedrosauer.com
    Rycky Lundell, Jeff Curran,Greg Nelson who trains sean sherk and Lesnar to mention just some.
    Aaron Riley UFC Veteran fought: Pride, Bodog not my words just the truth.
    Theres: Krav Maga, Muay Thai, Crossfit, Boxing. Just to mention some.
    The place has a boxing Ring, a Cage, locker rooms and yes Air Conditioning.
    Jeff Gordon is a Brown belt under Pedro Sauer I am not here to say I like his personality but he knows his stuff.
    Theres no trash talking about other schools only new guys that have come from other schools,that like to talk bad about the school they came from. But theres nothing a good chocke can do.
    The place is Huge you can roll do weights train your stand up.
    More space than any martial school in the area.
    The enviroment is relaxed no pressure.
    We have 3 brown belts that joined from schools in the area Why ???
    and two black belts that are there often?
    Why do you think this is happening?? because the place sucks?? Try it youre self.
    You would be surpriced maybe you find youre old buddy that realized that bigger dryer,better instruction,good modals ,is worth every single penny. Try it
    http://jeffgordonmma.com/jeffgordonmma/
    Do your own research don let people influence in your brain THINK,IS BETTER THAN GOSSIP.

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 10:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gracie Jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The place is good, If you are smart enough to understand good teaching, good modals is fine. no pressure.

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 10:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, I changed the striking category because you had a valid critique. Initially I didn't want to put N/A because that would arguably imply that JGMMA didn't offer striking...but w/e.
    I'm not changing the other ratings though.

I noticed, you and 1point2 commented a few minutes apart from each other. Is that a coincidence? Cause that guy can go **** himself.

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 3:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some people at the school had mentioned that there were people online talking **** about the school. We tend to get these people coming in and trying out the school who can't keep up. People either decide that they want to get better and keep coming so they can learn, or they quit and move on to somewhere that they can be the big fish in a small pond.

Bjjalltheway how much bjj experience do you have? How is it that everyone else in the school doesn't have a problem understanding the instruction but you couldn't seem to figure it out? In my time training I have never had a question go un-answered or a technique taught that was "ineffective". Your first post says that Jeff's moves are suspiscious and then you said that you couldn't understand 1 move. How long were you even there? And then you say that Jeff pressured you into signing up. Jeff doesn't deal with signing people up or talking about people's membership. He has the front desk guy deal with all of that. I tried to talk to him about upgrading my membership and he told me himself that he doesn't deal with that. He probably told you that when you talked to Eric at the front desk that if you signed up for a longer contract or pre-paid that you could get a better deal. Thats what I was told when I signed up. You don't even know who this mystery brown belt who teaches on Saturday's is but we are supposed to respect your judgement on people's teaching skills? I guess Professor doesn't know that I don't speak Portugese because he talks to me. Your baseless attacks on people's character is insulting. This is a guy who was respected enough by Rickson and Helio Gracie to get a Black Belt from them. Now he has some idiot who can't understand simple instructions puttting statements out there about how he ignores people who aren't from Brazil. I'm pretty sure I know who you are, and if I'm right and you are the three or four stripe bluebelt from another school that came by, your Jiu-jitsu sucks. I'm not sure you can even call it that. You should come back and see how suspect the moves are. I'll be sure to break it down so that you can understand, after you wake up.

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 2:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, I am from the academy and I would like to respond to posters that mentioned in this thread about the potential for grudge matches. I have been training for about two years at Jeff's school and have yet to see anything even closely resemble that. People train light and do not try to kill eachother. I think many of the positives have been covered so I won't bother repeating too much but Professor Sauer is a phenominal instructor and he does not let anyone get out of control muscling or slamming one another. He tells everyone to roll light and they listen. We focus on technique and not strength.
    As MrBJJ mentioned there are several high belts that attend the school. Some of these high belts are instuctors at other academies. I see it as a high compliment to give Professor Sauer to drive from far away and come to his class and already be an instructor.
    Here is a way to look at the benefits of the academy for people that like math and worry that they are over paying. To attend a Professor Sauer seminar is $195 ($180 for non affiliate members) for 12 hours www.pedrosauer.com . Professor Sauer teaches at Jeff's school two times a week for an hour and a half each session so that is approximately 14 hours of his time per month. You are not paying $195 per month at the academy so that is worth admission alone. not to mention the rest of the week is filled with classes taught by Jeff, Douglas, or a guest instructor and there are several times to roll open mat. I don't have to run a cost/benefit assesment of gym membership because I know I am getting a good deal plus I love Brazilian jiu-jitsu and I work with a great group of guys.

Jesse

P.S.

Pat and Aaron make striking a 10
    Last edited by Jesse123; 4/04/2009 5:45pm at .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast