Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/22/2007 12:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lot of 10s here in grappling and striking, what competitions does the club compete in and how well have they done?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2008 2:33pm

Style: Heal-Jitsu..yet again :-(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's Otis Berry. He is the head Krav maga Instructor and also teaches all of the Muay Thai classes and one MMA class on Friday nights at 7 PM. It's sad that i know all of this. I'm there every day that the gym is open. it's called not having a social life.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2008 2:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cough/Cool
    I have heard nothing but bad things about this school and instructor. I had a friend that checked it out and described the grappling as 'sloppy'. Is this still the case? Sure Jeff might be a salesman but things could be a lot worse. How is the academy now that they have Pedro and Aaron, do they teach there often?
    aaron riley teaches there 2x a week. his classes are techinical but boring. he rarely goes into striking. its mainly groundwork. he's also a pretty boring guy,

i believe prof. sauer teaches 2 or 3x a week at the school.
    jeff teaches the other bjj and no-gi classes except for the saturday no-gi which is taught by Patrick Hawk - very technical instructor. great personality.

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 2:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lklejne1:

Wow. I never made any judgments as to the cleanliness of the place and I said specifically that I didn't do BJJ in my short time there. The only interaction I had with Jeff was him saying, "So, you trained Krav Maga out in D.C.? It's a real ****-hole out there, isn't it?" He bashed their lack of permanent facilities (at the time), instructors, and students. I felt like I held my own pretty good just upon walking through the door for a former **** D.C. student.

My "unabomber" post was because I find this site amusing but quickly grew bored of the forum because of people like you. Do I really have to point out the irony of you wanting criticism in public followed by the line, "You are just a forum *****, stop bitching and moaning and grow a spine,"?

Jeff may be a fine teacher, but I never saw it. All I got was the sales pitch and bashing the school across town. Not very professional. If you enjoy training there, perhaps next time you should write your own positive review, as did some of the more reasonable posters, instead of this nonsense.

Posted On:
    7/12/2008 8:15pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been training at Jeff's for a few months now and I couldn't be happier with the school. The school has an amazing group of instructors and just recently added Sensei Maurice Allan (7th degree judo black belt, Olympic wrestler, and World Sombo champ) who teaches judo. I am a brown belt in judo and came to the school looking to cross train so this addition is great for me. Professor Sauer's instruction is worth the price of admission on its own in my opinion. Patrick Hawk does an excellent job teaching the submission wrestling class and has a wealth of knowledge and experience. I can't comment on the other programs personally because my focus is judo and bjj but the students I talk to speak highly of the instructors. If you are in the area and want to know what the school is like the best way to find out is to come in and try some classes. I have a hard time believing that who ever said that Jeff was more of a salesman than teacher has honestly taken a class with him. Jeff's school has a great atmosphere with alot of great students. check out the website at www.jeffgordonmma.com and prof. Sauer's at www.pedrosauer.com if you want to know more specifics about the school or professor Sauer's experience.

Posted On:
    8/23/2008 5:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a comment on the Krav Maga program. First, I got a heavy sales pitch from Jeff Gordon on Otis Berry and his Green Beret background, his being only 1 of 25 Krav Maga black belts in the US, and what a great facility they had. Well, the facility IS nice.

I only took 6 classes, but 4 of them went like this: Otis comes out, plops down on the floor indian style, and barks orders for the next 30 minutes of exercise stations (pushup pyrimids, 25 lunges, 2 minutes shadow boxing, etc). All the while telling a story about a gun he bought at a local gun shop. There were maybe 40 people in the class and except for the 3 cute girls, he hardly knew anyone's name. This was either a 5:30 evening class or a 6:30 evening on a weekday. Also 2 Saturdays. Nice big classes, but also kind of an impersonal zoo. The other two classes were actually pretty good. I think he just gets bored sometimes and zones out.

He did not acknowledge or talk to the new people/ trial lesson people in the class at all. I was quoted a price of $150 a month for a 6 month contract.

I would definately tell someone who is interested to watch at least 2 or 3 classes first. That Otis guy is a real question mark as far as his commitment to the class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2009 11:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

JEFF GORDON MMA in GAITHERSBURG, MD

Jeff Gordon MMA is no longer in Germantown, MD. They have relocated to a space in Gaithersburg, MD for the past year.
    200 Girard St.
    Gaithersburg, MD

I have posted a previous review but need to make some updates:
    New additions:
    • added another 3,000 sq ft to the school.
    • added a Judo program which is spearheaded by Maurice Allen (7th degree black belt and former Olympian)
    • added a crossfit program on Mon, Wed, Fri and Sats
      • purchased a whole crap load of equipment for the crossfit program
    • Added "open ring" sparring times for the boxing class
    • added showers to the men's and women's locker rooms
    • Jeff Gordon is now a brown belt in BJJ
    • There is another brown belt (aside from Jeff) assisting Prof. Sauer with the BJJ classes
    • Jeff has added a Women Only open mat on Saturdays from 1PM-3 PM which is open to women from any school. There is NO mat fee.
    Aside from that - everything is pretty much the same. Pedro Sauer teaches BJJ 2x a week at the school. Jeff and the other brown belt teach the rest of the BJJ classes. Guest black belt instructors will come in from time to time to teach class.

Aaron Riley still runs the MMA program.
    The MMA program now has it's own room with a full cage.

Otis Berry still runs the Krav Maga and Muay Thai programs. Otis has 3 assistant Krav instructors. Every now and then there will be Krav Maga vs Muay thai sparring sessions where both classes will combine to sparr each other.

what i like best about this school is that you can come in at any time during open hours to roll, sparr stand up or use the weights. Using the weights - as long as a cross fit program is not going on and the space isn't being used - it's open to all students.
    if there is any open space that isn't being used - you can roll or sparr , even in the boxing ring.
    Last edited by dinnerpig; 1/08/2009 11:33am at . Reason: update

Posted On:
    2/03/2009 5:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

JG MMA

Hey, I've been in the grappling class w/ Jeff for a few months now. I have to say that I'm very happy with the program/instructor. A few of you guys mentioned that Jeff is a salesman more than a real instructor and I have to disagree. It's true that he's not a traditional Sensei with all the bowing and "master" stuff, but that's what I like. If I ask him a question about a technique he'll give me a straight answer instead of a cryptic metaphorical one. He's also not afraid to roll with people in the class which gives me more faith in his abilities. Plus, he's a small guy so he can't just muscle his way through moves like larger instructors might, he has to be very technical.

Aliveness: This is kind of a vague category. You get what you put into it. Nobody sleeps during instruction though. My one potential complaint about "Aliveness" is that the beginners class doesn't have too much time for sparing/rolling built into it. That being said, any student is welcome to stay after class and roll on their own time.

Equipment: Everything is new and in good shape. no complaints.
    Gym Size: It was big when i joined but they have since added another couple thousand square feet. It's very spacious.
    Instructor/Student Ratio: I wish there was more one on one time during the larger classes but Jeff will answer any questions.
    Atmosphere/Attitude: friendly yet serious. There isn't too much horseplay.

Grappling Instruction: This is my first grappling school but everything is going well so far. I've dramatically improved after a few months of classes. Each move is explained and every detail is explained and justified. Every hand/foot/hip/head etc. position has a logical reason for why it gives you an advantage over your opponent.
    Last edited by Darkmoq; 3/30/2009 9:56am at .

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 3:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ???????????????????????

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 4:08pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!