Quote Originally Posted by bitparity
Actually i wanted to have some kind of supplementals for some takedowns for gi and no-gi bjj. At our gym, we have seperate gi BJJ, takedown wrestling, and submission wrestling (basically no-gi bjj) classes, there's also a judo class but it's at a time slot that I can't reasonably attend at.

Basically I've spent all my time in the gi BJJ classes, but have almost no concept of taking a guy down to employ what I've learned outside of the classes. I've started to attend the takedown wrestling classes, but I have utterly no clue what I'm doing. I remember in the early months of taking BJJ, it took forever to form the mental map of the whole heirarchy of positions, and after that it helped out greatly, but I have no such concept for takedowns, gi or no-gi.

Which brings up an interesting side question. Which would be better to learn for taking people down in BJJ if my classes don't teach it, wrestling or judo? So no, I'm not taking wrestling to learn wrestling. I want to learn wrestling so I can take people down to use BJJ on them.
Well, you obviously shouldn't buy a wrestling for MMA DVD, lol.

What is your primary purpose? Do you want to get good at trad BJJ or at no-gi BJJ/sub. wrestling?

If you want to work on your traditional gi game, then you should find a good judo throwing instructional.

If you want to get good at your no-gi takedowns, then you should find a good wrestling instructional.

I can help you with wrestling DVDs, but not judo ones. The only judo instructionals that I know of as being good are the Masterclass Series judo books (I would suggest starting out with the 'Grips' book by Neil Adams).

In any case, here are some DVDs (in no particular order) which could help your takedown ability:
  • Back to Basics, Defending Leg Attacks, and Two on One by Gene Mills (http://www.genemills.com/video.htm). I suggest you buy Back to Basics if you're a beginner.
  • Dan Gable's Wrestling Essentials by Dan Gable (http://www.dangable.com/videos.html).
  • New wrestlers, including myself, have a BIG problem setting up their shots. Being good at takedowns means you have to drill a lot (with setups), improve your speed and reaction time, and you also have to be able to set up your opponent from multiple positions (Russian arm tie, inside tie, overhooks, underhooks, wrist control, etc.). So beginners should check out some of the drilling, setup, and handfighting DVDs found at sportsnationvideo.com.