Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2007 10:32am

Style: Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    EXCEPT, Boxers and ADCC competitors are good at what they ARE allowed to do. A lot of the WCL fighters are just terrible.
    My point is not about the quality of the competitors, but the nature of the competition. People complain about the lack of clinching, takedowns etc. If you are going to complain about that, you might as well complain about every combat sport that imposes some sort of limitation on allowed attacks.

Anyway, the WCL is still pretty new, and I'm sure everyone is just trying to get used to the weird new ruleset.

Like I said before, I don't care for it, but it seems silly to fit the WCL into traditional kickboxing. It really isnt, and doesnt really pretend it is. It's something different. If you don't like it, shrug your shoulders and move on, and those that do, well, enjoy your shiny pants.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    3/23/2007 10:41am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been watching some more of this stuff and in addition to growing to like it quite a bit, I think the criticisms of "no defense" are over stated. The defense is just different, and heavily based on seizing the initiative with a flurry of attacks. But I saw blocking and head movement and everything one should see. It's rudimentary and looks sloppy, but part of that is the pace of the fight which is furious. This is not meant to be a 3+ round chess match of a fight. SO the fighters simply don;t have the time to hang back, bob and weave and pick their moment. They have to go in hard and strong. That's not a lack of skill on their parts, it's how you must fight to fit the ruleset.

EXCEPT, Boxers and ADCC competitors are good at what they ARE allowed to do. A lot of the WCL fighters are just terrible.
    Um, there's plenty of boxers and grappling competitors that suck ass too. And they get owned accordingly. The WCL is young. Give it some time. At the beginning it is not going to be uncommon to see a lot of mismatches. And more accepted venues like Pride, IFL, etc. are just as guilty of that anyway.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2007 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BOO!!
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789