Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 7:56pm

Style: Koei-Kan, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosetherumfood
    If you want this to mean anything you are going to have to get specific. Any phenomena in physics can be described as "incredibly complicated", but many times the mathematical model used to represent it needn't be complicated. The basic projectile kinematics that you learn in high school actually do accurately predict phenomena, that's why you learn it. Just because something can be explained using a more complicated system doesn't mean that it has to be. Many times the simplest models are accurate enough. I'm not saying that I really saw anything too worthwhile in his science section. I'm just saying that you have to actually point out what he said about what physical situation and why his explanation of the physics involved doesn't suffice. As of yet you haven't made any worthwhile criticism.
    I'm not going to get into a pissing contest. If you want to think that the human body is rigid and everything is explained by that, then go ahead. Personally, I'm tired of seeing crap like this get passed off as deep insight. And you learn basic kinematics because that leads to more advanced studies and you have to start somewhere. If you ever get a chance, take a look at a study conducted by someone in the field of kinematics, especially involving human kinematics. You will never see things in their basic forms because they are inadequite.
    Last edited by FredGarvinMP; 12/13/2006 8:00pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 10:12pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FredGarvinMP
    I'm not going to get into a pissing contest. If you want to think that the human body is rigid and everything is explained by that, then go ahead. Personally, I'm tired of seeing crap like this get passed off as deep insight. And you learn basic kinematics because that leads to more advanced studies and you have to start somewhere. If you ever get a chance, take a look at a study conducted by someone in the field of kinematics, especially involving human kinematics. You will never see things in their basic forms because they are inadequite.
    So you're "not going to get into a pissing contest," you're just going to continue to argue the point, huh?

Putting your recommendations for my reading aside; I completely agree with you that it's silly for anything that he said in his science section to be passed off as any sort of deep insight what-so-ever.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2006 6:15am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Phrost, did you ever get a reply from Randi?

Posted On:
    12/17/2006 10:40am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nada. Oh well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2006 12:11pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to be all argumentative and stuff, but I have seen pretty simple looking models for human gait -- reducing all the forces from the various muscles to a few force vectors and using that to look at forces through the joints during gait, for example.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456