Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 12:26am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DokterVet
    Ok, back up here for a second.

Link to the video referenced in the first post?
    (karate guy beatin up aikido guy)

EDIT: Nevermind, found it in the video section. Of course I will commit seppuku at once
    Please have your kaishaku post the video or I will call Bullshido on you :icon_eek:
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 8:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep. I've seen plenty who should have flunked "the test". And it is when you see people creep by, that you realize how sucky it is.

You see, I worked my butt off for belt testing. Practiced for hours. So it was a real bummer to see people who DIDN'T work get promoted! That was the first time the scales fell from my eyes and I started to see what it was really all about. Belt money!!! Cash flow!!!!

It is like real life. You work your ass off for da' man. Then there are people who WON'T (not "can't"....won't) work and yet they're allowed to live anyway. Yes, I know quite a few perfect examples of white trash who won't work (not "can't"....WON'T). They should be herded up and executed in white trash concentration camps.

I'll shut up. I hate people. And, yes, SHEEPLE deserve to get screwed. When you agree to check in your brain at the door, then you deserve everything that is coming to you. The people at Jonestown deserved what they got. The old Wing Ki Do guy getting pwned by the karate guy in that video deserved what he got. The Heaven's Gate people who chugged down the phenobarbitol to hitch a ride on the comet got what they deserved. People who spend thousands of dollars to learn the deadly pressure points hidden in kata who get in a real fight and get their lights punched out get what they deserve. People suck!

If you stand for nothing, you'll FALL for anything.
    "Why are you so hateful, Jkdbuck?" Because I work in customer service 55 hours a week. I'm drowning in a bottomless pit of human stupidity!!!!

p.s. Speaking of bottomless pit of human stupidity, be sure to check out the exciting AR549 threads!!!!
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 8:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humm
    Go back to lurking, RETARD.
    Go back to your badass aikido, fuckbubble.

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 8:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's been said that lack of information is a prelude to belief in ****, and this is no doubt true. But also on the flip-side, intelligent, educated people can fall deeply into irrational and absurd ideas becuase they are very good at coming up with smart sounding reasons for nonsense. This is dealt with in Michael Shermer's book "Why People Believe Wierd Things".

I assume a good number of us here have experience in poor training styles. I would also assume that many of us at one time believed in the validity of what we were doing. I'm talking about 90-100% compliance, no sparring, highly styleised and unrealistic attacks and defences against those that depend on compliance in order to "work".

At that time, why did you believe that it was valid and would function under pressure?

For me, as I said before, it was mostly intellectual. I thought that if it looked like it would work and it made sense to me in my own head, then it must be good. I always held the scientific method in top regard but mistakenly thought that testing was not possible due to iy being t00 d34dly, so checking it through with your head was all you could do.

I think this is the stagnation that most martial arts out there were stuck in untill stuff like the UFC and MMA became public. Nowdays you have to have an intellectual dodge to explain away your style's failure to perform in open competition.

It would be interesting to get some stories about what used to go through people's minds while doing dead training and beliving in them.
    Last edited by Virus; 12/12/2006 8:56am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 9:17am

Style: Sub Westling, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Well as someone who used to believe in ninjitsu, (perhaps this is a testament to my extreme intellectual arrogance) I used to think that if it checked out well in my own head, then it must work. I put hypothesis over practice.
    I know one or two people exactly like that in aikido, it funny the looks I get from them when I say that aiki is nice but not as effective as MMA for real world application.

Whats even funnier is that they can't really tell me I dont now what I'm talking about as Im a senior aikido rank to them :)
    Last edited by DDale; 12/12/2006 10:05am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 9:22am

Style: BJJ, MMA, Judo, WTF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkdbuck76
    Yep. I've seen plenty who should have flunked "the test". And it is when you see people creep by, that you realize how sucky it is.

You see, I worked my butt off for belt testing. Practiced for hours. So it was a real bummer to see people who DIDN'T work get promoted! That was the first time the scales fell from my eyes and I started to see what it was really all about. Belt money!!! Cash flow!!!!

It is like real life. You work your ass off for da' man. Then there are people who WON'T (not "can't"....won't) work and yet they're allowed to live anyway. Yes, I know quite a few perfect examples of white trash who won't work (not "can't"....WON'T). They should be herded up and executed in white trash concentration camps.

I'll shut up. I hate people. And, yes, SHEEPLE deserve to get screwed. When you agree to check in your brain at the door, then you deserve everything that is coming to you. The people at Jonestown deserved what they got. The old Wing Ki Do guy getting pwned by the karate guy in that video deserved what he got. The Heaven's Gate people who chugged down the phenobarbitol to hitch a ride on the comet got what they deserved. People who spend thousands of dollars to learn the deadly pressure points hidden in kata who get in a real fight and get their lights punched out get what they deserve. People suck!

If you stand for nothing, you'll FALL for anything.
    "Why are you so hateful, Jkdbuck?" Because I work in customer service 55 hours a week. I'm drowning in a bottomless pit of human stupidity!!!!

p.s. Speaking of bottomless pit of human stupidity, be sure to check out the exciting AR549 threads!!!!
    But...but...I miss the big happy family where everyone succeeds....

lol...

I was reading on the MAP forums about how a lot of the masters had left, and how the curriculum was becoming watered down and the other KSW backbiting that was going on. This led me to start asking questions which was not particularly well-recieved, (in front of other students at times). Also, from time to time, I would send out (via email to everyone from our school) articles of interest to training. All of this eventually led to the email below:

Subject: RE: The role of nutrition in martial
    arts...good article

Good morning, could you please take my wife off
    your emailing list. One too
    many articles like this will cause her to get in
    your behind. So I am just
    saving you from a behind chewing, trust me you
    don't want it.

I notice that you are a big reader. You are
    always reading something and
    sending articles. I am not saying not to do
    this, but I hope you are
    spending as much time focusing on your forms
    techniques and other Kuk Sool
    priorities. If you spent as much time studying
    Kuk Sool as you do reading
    website articles, you could be great. And I say
    this because I see you
    struggling at times with the techniques and
    forms. That tells me that you
    aren't practicing and studying the curriculum
    enough. You can read all you
    want, but until you put what you read in motion
    is simply just reading.

PSBN

-----Original Message-----
    [mailto:]
    Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 3:45 PM
    To:
    Subject: The role of nutrition in martial
    arts...good article

"...the needs of the martial artist are the same
    as that of the elite
    athlete."
    http://www.brinkzone.com/articledetails.php?acatid=3&aid=23
    ...great site, as well; many good articles...

lol...nothing like the bitching of a wife to bring out your true feelings...

..only the real reason he wanted me to stop reading was I was upsetting the flow of his McDojang Ki, and pissing him off. "Stop reading, you need more practice!"...lol

:bsflag:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 10:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Undeclared

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    I would also assume that many of us at one time believed in the validity of what we were doing. I'm talking about 90-100% compliance, no sparring...

At that time, why did you believe that it was valid and would function under pressure?

It would be interesting to get some stories about what used to go through people's minds while doing dead training and beliving in them.
    Personally, I never did think it would. I also have some Bujinkan in my past, and the training went a lot like you say above. 90-100% compliance, no sparring. Intellectually it's all very interesting... you can see how it works theoretically, and that's fun and all.

But when I would go home at night, or the next day, I couldn't recall any of the training by gut, if you know what I mean. Basically, I never felt like the "knowledge" could be summoned up in an instant for any worthwhile effect. Except maybe the 'jump out of the way' technique.

I compare this to other training I've done with resistance (including kung fu!) and I feel like that knowledge is much more ingrained in my body. It's in 'the gut', and that's due to resistance training... having to overcome, not just "understand."

When you practice with people who are trying to keep you from doing something well (ie, resistance), they force you to do it better to make it work. This sinks in, and the skillset (whatever it is, and in fact, aside from its effectiveness) becomes 'real' at that point... not just intellectual.

I think I sort of transformed your question, Virus. You asked why we thought BS moves work, and I answered why I thought BS training methods fail. Sorry, but I hope you see the relevance.
    Last edited by FormatC; 12/12/2006 10:47am at .

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 10:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah stop reading and start hitting those pink fans or his wife will come after you.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 12:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. In fact, that's why I still train---I'm married! She will try to kill me one day.

Yes gringokahn, it is a sad day when a Pusabumnym gripes you out because your forms aren't pretty and you don't have the yoowonhwa. Look, the best way for you to look better is for you to imulate the Grandbastard Himself....get a few throwing dummies that will leap 5 feet in the air and and feign pain at the wave of a hand.

A complete martial artists exercises his mind and well as his body. Yes, one can read too much and not follow it with practice....but I seriously doubt that you fall in this category.

Things functioning under pressure is very important. How hard is it to get your mind to remember how to throw a good hook or to execute a snap-down and choke the crap out of somebody? Now....contrast that with kuk sool training methods. Yes, Virginia....there IS a Santa Claus and he says for you to glove up and spar like a monkey in heat!

p.s. Virus, I'd better never EVER hear about you putting down the pink fans. They are more deadly than any weapon ever devised by human kind. As a matter of fact, back in 1945, the Japapnese found out that we were going to drop pink korean fans on them, but begged for the atom bombs instead. President Truman agreed to their demand for leniency and ordered the Enola Gay to drop it's nuclear payload on 2 cities instead of the pink fans. Virus....you have to stop and ask yourself...."What would Japan look like had the Yankees dropped the pink korean fans on it instead of the nukes?" Well, it would look like a post-apocalyptic desert--sort of a wet dream for Mad Max.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 12:28pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, Judo, WTF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...but I can't even learn t3h d34dly pink fans until I'm at least a 3rd or 4th degree!

:lol:

you know something is wrong with your martial art when you obtaining a high level means the introduction of fluffy pink fans into the weapons training...

guk sa nim probably laughs a little gayly in side to himself a little every time he sees one of teh generals using them in a demo...

:gaygay:
    Last edited by gringokahn; 12/12/2006 12:31pm at .
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345