218308 Bullies, 4093 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Watch and Shoot !

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second Class1 year registeredCreated Album picturesTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 6:22am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitetiger
    Its true I know jackshit about takedowns, but I also have a concept on reality
    Find an instructor... Do some training... Welcome to Bullshido Retard.

Thank you; That is all.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

The Bottom Brick

Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 7:01am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its true I know jackshit about takedowns, but I also have a concept on reality and I know what would work, Im not blaming the "master" on the DVD maybe it was his friends fault, he might of been overacting or something,
    Im not gona go off about whats effective and what isn't
    but I seriousley doubt that tapping on somebodey's knee and flicking their wrist isnt gona send them hurling to the ground like that,
    I DO know that much
    What was the name of the DVD and the Master.

Public service here at Bullshido, we have to tell people what to avoid.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 7:18am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    un-throw it away and mail it to someone here to review it.

An American Hero!

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/10/2006 2:07am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea do what Pauli said, that would be a good idea. Or just tell us what it was and who did it. For realy good takedowns you want a dvd (assuming your looking for video) with wrestling, Judo or maybe some BJJ vids.

Go down to your local library and look through their video section. Chances are good that they have something. At my library they have a big wrestling series by Dan Gable a Judo series and even some Karate DVDs. They even had a bunch of Paul Vunak stuff. Check it out.

Check out LimeWire for any ripped stuff like Bas Ruttens DVDs although I dont know if he has much on takedowns on the vids.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/10/2006 10:41am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im goin into college to study law enforcement, Im taking a four month course and from then on, Im going to the police academy.
    I thought that it might be important to learn some take downs locks and throws cus Goju doesnt have alot of those.
    so I buy a DVD in the special interests section at videoliquidators, (an instructional DVD on takedowns and grappling counters)
    I watch about 4 minutes of the DVD and I throw it away, (video liquidators has a no refund policy)
    these takedowns in the video might work on some hollywood movie or somethiing choreographed, but these wont work in a real confrontation (for instance)

take down number 3, all the guy did was grab the attacker by the wrist and tap him on the knee with his foot, and he goes flying through the air doing a complete flip and landing on his back

I really dont see how these throws would work in a real confrontation
    Im beggining to wonder if Im just looking at it the wrong way, maybe it was hard and the guy was so good he just made it look easy
    but Im still pretty sure the DVD is crappy

Im thinking of just going to the BJJ school across town now

note to self: dont rely on choreography in a life or death situation, the attacker might not want to play along
    Sounds like a hiza guruma. Totally legit technique.

An American Hero!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    12/10/2006 3:43pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HAHA I told you there was a throw like that!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2006 4:51pm

Style: None. Again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As soon as he described the throw I thought "hiza guruma?"

It's a perfectly useful technique, but one that looks like total shite when demonstrated with proper technique due to uke's ukemi. It's only when you see it in actual competition that its usefulness becomes clear.

The problem, mostly likely, is that a lot of videos fail to properly explain the concept of kuzushi, leaving the viewer with no fucking clue why they can't throw their cousin Timmy the way Scary Throwing Guy threw Less Scary Getting Thrown Guy.

Whitetiger: The way this technique works is by offbalancing your opponent forward, then taking away their ability to step. Pull them towards you, then put your foot on their knee so they can't catch their balance. If you look at the second image FLMike posted you can see this in action. Guy in blue is on his left foot, and guy in white has taken away his ability to step with the right foot. Since guy in blue has lost his balance forward all guy in white has to do is continue with the pull to put blue guy on his back.

That said, you can't learn takedowns and throws from a DVD. Start taking judo. It's way cheap most of the time.

Posted On:
    12/10/2006 8:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watch about 4 minutes of the DVD and I throw it away, (video liquidators has a no refund policy)
    Ever hear of e-bay? ;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 1:30am

Style: Kuk Sul Do/Capoeira/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    Urso please kill yourself for recommending Aikido for takedowns. Have you ever wrestled?

Kill myself? Did you not read the post? I said to add to is stand up. Aikido was added for a well rounded game. Do you not thing Aikido has throws? I only wrestled 4 years, 3yrs highschool and 1 yr freestyle. I may not have the college level of wrestling but it did help when I added BJJ. You need to calm down with the killing quotes. I was trying to give the guy some options as a Peace officer. There are many small joint lock in Aikido that are not allowed in BJJ or MMA. Think before you speak.

" a man is judged by his words and actions"

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Achievements:

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 1:57am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP: why don't you go to a college or highschool nearby and explain your situation? tell them you are going into police academy and was reccommended to go to a few wrestling practices to get an idea of how to restrain baddies.

There should be no problem, just try and bring along your own partner so they don't have to have one of there wrestler's practices wasted on teaching you rather than training. Stay on the side, practice with your own partner and your good!

Urso: I'm surprised you aren't used to being attacked by te Bullshido hoard, you put Kuk Sul Do and Capoeira in your style field. Prepare yourself for the onslaught.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast