Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 2:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Goju karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The crapiest $13 I have ever spent

Im goin into college to study law enforcement, Im taking a four month course and from then on, Im going to the police academy.
    I thought that it might be important to learn some take downs locks and throws cus Goju doesnt have alot of those.
    so I buy a DVD in the special interests section at videoliquidators, (an instructional DVD on takedowns and grappling counters)
    I watch about 4 minutes of the DVD and I throw it away, (video liquidators has a no refund policy)
    these takedowns in the video might work on some hollywood movie or somethiing choreographed, but these wont work in a real confrontation (for instance)

take down number 3, all the guy did was grab the attacker by the wrist and tap him on the knee with his foot, and he goes flying through the air doing a complete flip and landing on his back

I really dont see how these throws would work in a real confrontation
    Im beggining to wonder if Im just looking at it the wrong way, maybe it was hard and the guy was so good he just made it look easy
    but Im still pretty sure the DVD is crappy

Im thinking of just going to the BJJ school across town now

note to self: dont rely on choreography in a life or death situation, the attacker might not want to play along

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 2:35am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabster the Bad Elf
    How does the saying go?

A fool and his money...
    to spend my money on this crap, you're probly right

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 3:05am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no bjj if you're looking at takedowns. go take some judo.

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 3:09am

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or rastlin' of course. BJJ has some takedowns but incredibly inferior to those two styles.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 3:10am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So a guy who knows jackshit about takedowns buys a DVD on takedowns and then calls it bullshit? Wowzers...

Maybe it was complete crap though, whats it called? Who made it? Names?

There are throws that go exactly like you describe. Get a classic wrestler tie-up with one hand getting hand control (wrist grab) and the other on his hand. The hand grabs across the body. Start settping back then put your foot on his knee or behind it to block it and circles backwards. Sorta like a trip.

So was it like a wrestler takedwon or Aikido?

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 3:34am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the whole thing is... it's so hard to find wrestling when you're an adult unless you know someone. i did wrestling in highschool and my shot is one of the greatest things ever, I appreciate it to a ridiculous degree... but i'm not sure if i could learn it now that i'm nineteen.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 3:39am

Style: Kuk Sul Do/Capoeira/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitetiger
    to spend my money on this crap, you're probly right
    Everyone makes these kind of mistakes. I remember doing the same thing when I was 12. Not poking fun. You had some humble pie, now it is over. BJJ would be a great thing to look into. Try cross training with your stand up game. Add some wrestling, judo or Aikido it will all help.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 3:53am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Urso please kill yourself for recommending Aikido for takedowns. Have you ever wrestled?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 4:29am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vinhthekid
    the whole thing is... it's so hard to find wrestling when you're an adult unless you know someone. i did wrestling in highschool and my shot is one of the greatest things ever, I appreciate it to a ridiculous degree... but i'm not sure if i could learn it now that i'm nineteen.
    Did you just refer to yourself as an adult because you're nineteen? The only reason that you wouldn't be able to learn takedowns now is if the summer after highschool you were crippled in a car accident. Several MMA places that I have looked at teach the exact same takedowns that college wrestling coaches teach.

Whitetiger: Just go to the bjj place across the street. Even the best dvds are still just fucking dvds. Do some actual training. And if you're planning on throwing people you might want to learn some groundfighting in case that they don't instantly die after being thown. And you should have read through the forums on here enough to know that the best "grappling counter" is grappling.
    Last edited by goosetherumfoodle; 12/09/2006 4:37am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 5:39am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    So a guy who knows jackshit about takedowns buys a DVD on takedowns and then calls it bullshit? Wowzers...

Maybe it was complete crap though, whats it called? Who made it? Names?

There are throws that go exactly like you describe. Get a classic wrestler tie-up with one hand getting hand control (wrist grab) and the other on his hand. The hand grabs across the body. Start settping back then put your foot on his knee or behind it to block it and circles backwards. Sorta like a trip.

So was it like a wrestler takedwon or Aikido?
    Its true I know jackshit about takedowns, but I also have a concept on reality and I know what would work, Im not blaming the "master" on the DVD maybe it was his friends fault, he might of been overacting or something,
    Im not gona go off about whats effective and what isn't
    but I seriousley doubt that tapping on somebodey's knee and flicking their wrist isnt gona send them hurling to the ground like that,
    I DO know that much
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast