Sponsored Links Spacer Image

**** you math class

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 12:16pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I figure if I get fat like this guy I'll shoot like him too. Maybe the extra weight will make me more stable in the wind too.

Posted On:
    12/10/2006 12:38am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate people.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46324

Abs are made in the kitchen. do more legwork and circuits 3X a week in between HIIT days. don't work your abs so much. they need rest to grow like any other muscles. do more compound movements. work your TA.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/10/2006 3:29am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "less weight with more reps" is total bullshit, at least RE getting cut. That's just a way of doing extra cardio.

To look cut, you have to A) Get the muscle and then B) get it to show. Low weight high rep weightlifting is not a good strategy for either of those, and if it worked for the poster above, I'd say that's a coincidence.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    12/10/2006 11:22pm

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's hope you weren't talking about me.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 2:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually it was directed to whitetiger. I'll avoid an "or what," because I'm awesome.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitetiger
    If you're trying to get ripped you need to cut fat with cardio and you you need to more reps with less weight, if you do it the other way around you will just gain mass
    if you are going for a six pack, you should do atleast 800 crunches a day with some abdominal medicine ball training
    this is what my personal trainer has had me doing for 6 weeks now and Im starting to see some results
    this also may very on your body type
    I a relitively stocky build with broad shoulders, but it will probly work nomatter what your build is
    Good Lord. I'm going to have to break my hiatus because of this post.

Dude, sorry to say, but that doesn't make any sense, in particular about doing 800 crunches a day being a must for a six pack, as well as the more reps by less weight part. I no longer care much to keep a 6 pack (it's a lot easier to get one than to keep it), but I can tell you this:

There is no single recipe or magic formula than can apply to everybody. To get ripped, first you need to have the muscles to show it, and then it requires a shitload of work and playing with your diet, cardio and weightlifting. Independently of that, very few people do that much ab work, the people I know that keep a 6 pack most of the time (and not just for the time around a competition or show.) Most of their ab work they get indirectly from front squats and **** like that. Ab work is usually done as a footnote.

And high reps with less weight, it depends. That **** only works for preventing injuries, for fixing muscular imbalances, or when recovering from an injury. High rep with high intensity, on the other hand, that works: Pyramids, partial reps, rest-and-resume, alternating sets. That works for many things, but it may not necesarily help in getting cut. Everybody is different and will respond differently to this type of exercises.

High reps with too low of a load, that's just a waste of time.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 1:39pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    then perhaps you're just a latent samoan.
    Something wrong with Samoans?!

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 1:41pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitetiger
    If you're trying to get ripped you need to cut fat with cardio and you you need to more reps with less weight, if you do it the other way around you will just gain mass
    if you are going for a six pack, you should do atleast 800 crunches a day with some abdominal medicine ball training
    this is what my personal trainer has had me doing for 6 weeks now and Im starting to see some results
    this also may very on your body type
    I a relitively stocky build with broad shoulders, but it will probly work nomatter what your build is
    DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYTHING IN THIS POST.

Ok, cutting down fat and doing cardio is fine, but everything else is total bullshit.

To think you paid someone to teach you straight up fallacies is depressing.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 2:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Good Lord. I'm going to have to break my hiatus because of this post.

Dude, sorry to say, but that doesn't make any sense, in particular about doing 800 crunches a day being a must for a six pack, as well as the more reps by less weight part. I no longer care much to keep a 6 pack (it's a lot easier to get one than to keep it), but I can tell you this:

There is no single recipe or magic formula than can apply to everybody. To get ripped, first you need to have the muscles to show it, and then it requires a shitload of work and playing with your diet, cardio and weightlifting. Independently of that, very few people do that much ab work, the people I know that keep a 6 pack most of the time (and not just for the time around a competition or show.) Most of their ab work they get indirectly from front squats and **** like that. Ab work is usually done as a footnote.

And high reps with less weight, it depends. That **** only works for preventing injuries, for fixing muscular imbalances, or when recovering from an injury. High rep with high intensity, on the other hand, that works: Pyramids, partial reps, rest-and-resume, alternating sets. That works for many things, but it may not necesarily help in getting cut. Everybody is different and will respond differently to this type of exercises.

High reps with too low of a load, that's just a waste of time.
    El macho breaks his foolish and inexplicable hiatus to bring up some good points.

One thing you have to remember about a 'six pack' is a lot of the guys you see with a full six pack, you see them the two days a month they cut until they have one - for a photoshoot, or a bodybuilding event, or whatever. Guys that can walk around at a comfortable walking weight with a six-pack are kind of lotto winners.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123