I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 8:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The general effectiveness of TKD kicks. v.fuhaters

Here's a short thread on the possible effectiveness of certain staple TKD kicks.

The tappy snappy roundhouse: What could it be used for? A quick jabbing roundhouse that can be used to close the gap really quick for getting your punches in and confusing your opponent as to why you just tagged him with such a slappy kick.

The spinning back kick: My favorite kick. Very effective if you can use it correctly. Also, since this is rarely practiced outside of TKD, it'll be one of those things that your opponent doesn't see coming. Can be combo'd with a spinning back fist and right into a cross so not to get caught off-guard should you miss. Should not be used without leading in with something.

The Spinning heel kick: In a kickboxing situation, the SHK can be used very effectively to counter roundhouses. Usually practitioners will fall after throwing them because they try to throw them with a jump as the roundhouse comes in. This usually ends up as a single attack that they throw to restart the fight. Otherwise this can be used effectively if said user opens them up with a combination.

Side-kick: Same with the SBK, not very many people use this, but can be used to catch your opponent off-guard. Also can be used as a great leg attack (ask the sanda guys). Comparable to the push-kick in some manners, especially if you find your opponent trying to flank you.

The flying kicks: Unless your opponent is punch drunk, retarded, over the age of 68 or just not facing you, flying kicks won't do you very much. I don't recommend them unless you're EXTREMELY quick.

Have a good day.

*flamesuit on*

Edit:

I forgot about the axekick: So the axekick is really only effective if you know how to use it. It needs to arch forward and not just go straight up and down. Watch any Andy Hug fight and you'll see what I mean when he uses his axe kick, he moves forward a little and his leg forces his bodyweight forward in an attempt to stomp on someone's face. A good counter and unexpectedness type of thing.
    Last edited by King Sleepless; 12/08/2006 8:09pm at .

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 8:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to see you try any of that bullshit against someone who knows what they're doing.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 8:10pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, you're going to get SO flamed. If you han't started with the tappy roundhouse this thread might have been taken seriously. Oh well!

I have two good friends whose first style was TKD. One now does Kickboxing and the other just practices his TKD a lot. Both of them were blessed with a "T3h R34L" TKD school, so they love to spar (full contact, Kickboxing rules) and keep fit. From fighting them I've gained some insight into what's useful from (non-shitty) TKD as well;

Sidekick: Used like other styles use a push kick, to catch someone trying to close and offset the advantage of a taller fighter trying to close in order to punch them (i.e. me). Can be very powerful and non-telegraphic.

Spinning Back Sidekick: Don't see this one a whole lot, but every now and then it is used if I overcommit while trying to close in for punches, or if I slide in with my usual front kick or push kick (they spin to one side of my leg and kick me, yes I'm that slow).

Also while sparring with my Ex, who is ITF TKD, she has been able to catch me on a few occasions with a jab-spinning backfist combo, although once I knew to watch for it it stopped happening very often.

Also, my Ex uses a sidekick to the thigh to discourage me from closing to punching range; I don't know if this is a good idea or not, because she doesn't ever spar anything close to FC.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 8:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    I'd like to see you try any of that bullshit against someone who knows what they're doing.
    Oh geez. Not this again. Can't you say anything less generic?

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 8:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** that, you aren't sliming your way out of it this time. Those techniques fucking suck, there's been way too much 'leave TKD alone' bullshit around here lately.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 8:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** that, you aren't sliming your way out of it this time. Those techniques fucking suck, there's been way too much 'leave TKD alone' bullshit around here lately.
    Oh blah blah blah. I've made some of these techniques work well against other kickboxers and it works perfectly fine because they have no idea how to defend against things they rarely ever encounter. You're just an uncoordinated white guy. Go back to grappling.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 8:16pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47696

P.S: I think all the techniques Sirc lists except the sidekick and SBK are so low-percentage as to boggle the mind, but that doesn't mean it's not worth shooting them down with specific arguments. Against almost all those moves: Sirc, show me someone besides Andy Hug making them work in a real competition.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 8:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You fucking bitch, I fucking DARE you to try that garbage in MMA, **** your patty-cake kickboxing matches.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 8:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You fucking bitch, I fucking DARE you to try that garbage in MMA, **** your patty-cake kickboxing matches.
    Yes, yes, run back to your MMA cave, neanderthal. I better tell all those boxers that they shouldn't fight at all because boxing wouldn't cut it in MMA.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 8:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The difference being...boxing isn't MOTHERFUCKING BULLSHIT.
Page 1 of 19 1 234511 ... LastLast