Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 10:58pm

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well... I was just answering your question. The SBK it prolly most trained in TKD anyways and I was using it as an example.

Plus... I agree... you gotta have your bread and butter when it comes to KB or MMA.... but a SBK, a spin hook, or even an axe if you can use it can only add to your game. If you want to give me a tech that you figure is common in TKD, I'm sure I can find a person or two who use it effectively, but obviously, a spin hook is never gonna replace a jab.

Same with MT if you look at it. Flying Knees for example are a low percentage, high risk technique... but are nice to add to the arsenal if you can pull them off.

I'm not trying to debate that WTF TKD makes great fighter... but it has some things to add in terms of techs and footwork/evasion. It's good to know what's out there I say to learn to deal with it.

Hell... look at sport BJJ. Some techs will get you murdered if you try them in MMA (like shrimping out of mount)

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 11:08pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydermv
    Well... I was just answering your question. The SBK it prolly most trained in TKD anyways and I was using it as an example.

Plus... I agree... you gotta have your bread and butter when it comes to KB or MMA.... but a SBK, a spin hook, or even an axe if you can use it can only add to your game. If you want to give me a tech that you figure is common in TKD, I'm sure I can find a person or two who use it effectively, but obviously, a spin hook is never gonna replace a jab.

Same with MT if you look at it. Flying Knees for example are a low percentage, high risk technique... but are nice to add to the arsenal if you can pull them off.

I'm not trying to debate that WTF TKD makes great fighter... but it has some things to add in terms of techs and footwork/evasion. It's good to know what's out there I say to learn to deal with it.

Hell... look at sport BJJ. Some techs will get you murdered if you try them in MMA (like shrimping out of mount)
    If you're already mounted shrimping isn't going to make things worse. Your opponent should rightfully be murdering you.

Even though WTF seems continuous and hard contact etc. anyone who compares it to a kickboxing/MMA match can see that something is just drastically off. Though TKDers and MTers seem to both practice low percentage moves like you said it just seems like the MTers are vastly superior at the basics of stand up the majority of the time.

I cite MT's dominance in kickboxing as an example in the face of TKD being the most popular MA in the world.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    12/10/2006 3:57am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The systems are irregardless.

If the SBK, and the tactics surrounding it's use are valid, thenthey are vaild no matter who is throwing the SBK, the TKDer, the Kyokushinka, the JKDer.

Technique in the end is nothing.

Strategy and tactics are the determining factors.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2006 10:54am

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    If you're already mounted shrimping isn't going to make things worse. Your opponent should rightfully be murdering you.

Even though WTF seems continuous and hard contact etc. anyone who compares it to a kickboxing/MMA match can see that something is just drastically off. Though TKDers and MTers seem to both practice low percentage moves like you said it just seems like the MTers are vastly superior at the basics of stand up the majority of the time.

I cite MT's dominance in kickboxing as an example in the face of TKD being the most popular MA in the world.
    Absolutely, but the better option would be to pull your opponent in and bridge, rather then push on his legs and shimp so you get your face pounded even worse.

MT rule set is less restrictive... and I agree... but the point I was trying to make is... a little flash is good.

Charlie Don't Surf

Posted On:
    12/10/2006 3:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydermv
    David Liouaseau
    Yerkan Silmaz
    Stephan Bonnar
    Benny "the Jet"

Just off the top of my head.... ****... look up spinning back kick on Youtube and you'll see tons of KB matches ended with an SBK.
    Don't forget Dennis Alexio. Kicks courtosy of TKD, BTW.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345