Thread: How do TKD! WTF?
12/08/2006 3:57pm, #21Originally Posted by Hannibal MAP
12/08/2006 4:04pm, #22
Originally Posted by Sirc
- Join Date
- Dec 2006
- JKD & Mok'bara
Even the most untrained of thugs can still swing a punch in a fight and make it work. The same cannot be said of the "flash" techniques, which cannot be made to work be people who have trained in the damn system!
You are basically taking a 1% probability technique and applying to 99% probability situation. You are saying "This technique doesn't work in most cases but someone can do it so it must be good".
If after years of practice the percentage chance of success is still not great then the technique is useless
"some people" is not empirical evidence either. Once every blue moon "someone" may land one and it works. But these are so few and far between that it barely merits mention. It is crutch similar to the "too deadly to spar/compete" arts.
12/08/2006 4:21pm, #23
I didn't say it was a good technique. All I'm saying is that people can make it work.
And by people, I mean awesome people. And by awesome people, I mean me.
Last edited by King Sleepless; 12/08/2006 4:32pm at .
12/08/2006 4:33pm, #24Originally Posted by Gabster the Bad Elf
12/08/2006 4:39pm, #25
Sirc, for faggotry above and beyond the call of TKDuty, I present to you this award.
12/08/2006 4:48pm, #26
I give you a B+.
12/08/2006 5:08pm, #27Originally Posted by Sirc
From the current WTF rules:
1)Fist techniques: Delivering techniques by using the front parts of the forefinger and middle finger of the tightly clenched fist.2)Foot techniques: Delivering techniques by using the parts of the foot below the ankle bone.
1)Trunk: Attack by fist and foot techniques on the areas covered by the trunk protector are permitted. However, such attacks shall not be made on the part of the back not covered by the turnk protector.2)Face: This area is the faxe excluding the back of the head, and attack by foot techniques only is permitted.
1.Legal Scoring Areas
1) Mid-section of the trunk: The part covered by the trunk protector
2) Face: The whole part of the face including both ears
2.Points shall be awarded when permitted techniques are delivered accurately and powerfully to the legal scoring areas of the body.
3.The valid points are divided as follows.
1) One (1) point for attack on trunk protector
2) Two (2) points for attack on face.
3) One (1) additional point shall be awarded in the event that the contestant is knocked down and the referee counts.
4.Match score shall be the sum of points of the three rounds. 5Invalidation of points: When a contestant performs an attack to score through the use of the prohibited acts, the points scored shall be annulled.
In pre-tournament conferences for the judges, we were always instructed that the technique had to be powerful (e.g. either you see the guys head whip back, it knocks him out, it doubles him over, or you can clearly hear and see the hogu bing pounded hard) and land cleanly (i.e. not blocked at all) to score. Of course, this leaves a bit of intepretation on the part of the judges and has led to a lot of contreversy in scoring. The IOC nearly kicked TKD out of the Olympics because of this, which is why they have developed electronic hogu for the next Olympics (pressure sensors that only activate if hit hard). Oh, and for smaller local tournaments, I've often found that judges are woefully ignorant of the rules and tend to be biased towards competitors from their own school.
For the record, I hate the whole no punches to the face and no leg sweeps rules and hope that if the ITF merges with the WTF that the rules are changed to at least allow punches to the face. They need to put the "kwon" back in Tae Kwon Do.
Last edited by TEA; 12/08/2006 5:10pm at .
12/08/2006 5:13pm, #28
How new are these rules? Because they extended the point scoring to all the way to your back except for your spine.
12/08/2006 5:19pm, #29Originally Posted by Epicurus
Also, I fractured my friend's ribs once through a hogu with a hook (to be objective, he was standing still at the time, and I got to wind up pretty good) but the ones in the video here look more invincible than the one my friend had on...
12/08/2006 5:32pm, #30Originally Posted by Sirc
I cut and pasted these rules straight off of the WTF's web site. http://www.wtf.org/site/rules/competition.htm IIRC, the rules were changed to allow for strikes to the back, except for the spine, back in 2001 or 2002. Prior to that, the rules prohibited any strikes to the back, which I thought was pretty gay. If someone over shoots a kick or you redirect it with a block and expose his back, I think you should by all means be allowed to kick the **** out of 'em. In my first TKD school (non Oly sparring with punches to the face, leg sweeps and limited degree of takedowns) we were taught to redirect kicks and pound the **** out of someone from behind, especially if they're bigger than you.
If I were on the Rules Committee, I'd not only get rid of the "no punches to the head" rule, but also the "no throwing the opponent by grabbing the leg" rule and make it a single point for a clean takedown.