I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 3:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal MAP
    If they don't work in the heat of the moment they don't work. In a fight they are worth approximately piss-all.
    There are a lot of people who can make it work. You either can or can't use it. Some people can punch, some can't. It's just another skillset that isn't practiced. It's impractical, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 4:04pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc
    There are a lot of people who can make it work. You either can or can't use it. Some people can punch, some can't. It's just another skillset that isn't practiced. It's impractical, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.
    This is questionable logic.

Even the most untrained of thugs can still swing a punch in a fight and make it work. The same cannot be said of the "flash" techniques, which cannot be made to work be people who have trained in the damn system!

You are basically taking a 1% probability technique and applying to 99% probability situation. You are saying "This technique doesn't work in most cases but someone can do it so it must be good".

If after years of practice the percentage chance of success is still not great then the technique is useless

"some people" is not empirical evidence either. Once every blue moon "someone" may land one and it works. But these are so few and far between that it barely merits mention. It is crutch similar to the "too deadly to spar/compete" arts.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 4:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't say it was a good technique. All I'm saying is that people can make it work.

Edit:

And by people, I mean awesome people. And by awesome people, I mean me.
    Last edited by King Sleepless; 12/08/2006 4:32pm at .

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 4:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabster the Bad Elf
    Textbook work and really work are two different things. Don't come in through the Thorton Door and out through the Dillman Door. Your post count suggests better of you.
    I'm really just trolling right now if you haven't noticed. There are some flashy techniques I love to use, but that's just me. Would I do it in a "real fight" probably not. I'd probably be either A. running or B. Stabbing.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sirc, for faggotry above and beyond the call of TKDuty, I present to you this award.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 4:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I give you a B+.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 5:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keeping your hands up will = them scoring points. Why? Because the rules are fucking gay. Even if you block the kick because you didn't fully cover the target they will get a point.
    This statement confuses me a bit. If you block a kick, how does it still hit you? A lot of the hits that he does make look like the shouldn't be scored in a tournament (at least not if I was a judge, and I have judged at a few tournaments before) because they completely lack power.

From the current WTF rules:

1.Permitted Techniques
    1)Fist techniques: Delivering techniques by using the front parts of the forefinger and middle finger of the tightly clenched fist.2)Foot techniques: Delivering techniques by using the parts of the foot below the ankle bone.
    2.Permitted Areas
    1)Trunk: Attack by fist and foot techniques on the areas covered by the trunk protector are permitted. However, such attacks shall not be made on the part of the back not covered by the turnk protector.2)Face: This area is the faxe excluding the back of the head, and attack by foot techniques only is permitted.

1.Legal Scoring Areas
    1) Mid-section of the trunk: The part covered by the trunk protector
    2) Face: The whole part of the face including both ears
    2.Points shall be awarded when permitted techniques are delivered accurately and powerfully to the legal scoring areas of the body.
    3.The valid points are divided as follows.
    1) One (1) point for attack on trunk protector
    2) Two (2) points for attack on face.
    3) One (1) additional point shall be awarded in the event that the contestant is knocked down and the referee counts.
    4.Match score shall be the sum of points of the three rounds. 5Invalidation of points: When a contestant performs an attack to score through the use of the prohibited acts, the points scored shall be annulled.
    (emphasis added)

In pre-tournament conferences for the judges, we were always instructed that the technique had to be powerful (e.g. either you see the guys head whip back, it knocks him out, it doubles him over, or you can clearly hear and see the hogu bing pounded hard) and land cleanly (i.e. not blocked at all) to score. Of course, this leaves a bit of intepretation on the part of the judges and has led to a lot of contreversy in scoring. The IOC nearly kicked TKD out of the Olympics because of this, which is why they have developed electronic hogu for the next Olympics (pressure sensors that only activate if hit hard). Oh, and for smaller local tournaments, I've often found that judges are woefully ignorant of the rules and tend to be biased towards competitors from their own school.

For the record, I hate the whole no punches to the face and no leg sweeps rules and hope that if the ITF merges with the WTF that the rules are changed to at least allow punches to the face. They need to put the "kwon" back in Tae Kwon Do.
    Last edited by TEA; 12/08/2006 5:10pm at .

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 5:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How new are these rules? Because they extended the point scoring to all the way to your back except for your spine.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 5:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    Anyway Sirc, do you usually need to have some sort of registered rank in WTF TKD to compete, or can you just show up and register to fight most of the time? I'd love to try it out, it would give me a pretext to regain my flexibility.
    Depends. If its a small local tournament, you can usually just show up and register. We had one in Hawai'i that was open to anyone who showed up. If its a sanctioned regional or state level tournament, you usually have to be a member or the national organization (e.g. USTU), although I've seen a few that allow you to register for the org at the door. Kind of like how state and regional rifle competitions require you to be a member of the NRA and the state association, but will let you join at the registration table.

Also, I fractured my friend's ribs once through a hogu with a hook (to be objective, he was standing still at the time, and I got to wind up pretty good) but the ones in the video here look more invincible than the one my friend had on...
    Rib fractures are still possible with hogu, although a little less with the more modern ones.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 5:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How new are these rules? Because they extended the point scoring to all the way to your back except for your spine.
    Are you saying that you don't agree with allowing strikes to the back, excluding the spine? Or that you'd like to see strikes to the spine allowed? Or that the rule set that you were sparring under didn't allow for strikes to the back?

I cut and pasted these rules straight off of the WTF's web site. http://www.wtf.org/site/rules/competition.htm IIRC, the rules were changed to allow for strikes to the back, except for the spine, back in 2001 or 2002. Prior to that, the rules prohibited any strikes to the back, which I thought was pretty gay. If someone over shoots a kick or you redirect it with a block and expose his back, I think you should by all means be allowed to kick the **** out of 'em. In my first TKD school (non Oly sparring with punches to the face, leg sweeps and limited degree of takedowns) we were taught to redirect kicks and pound the **** out of someone from behind, especially if they're bigger than you.

If I were on the Rules Committee, I'd not only get rid of the "no punches to the head" rule, but also the "no throwing the opponent by grabbing the leg" rule and make it a single point for a clean takedown.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast