Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2006 9:51pm

Style: euro renaissance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My first BJJ class

So I just had my first BJJ class last Thursday and thought I'd post a few observations.

First off, a bit about the school. I went to Absolute Jiu-Jitsu in Bristol, TN run by Dee Smith. Dee seems like a really down to earth guy who runs a fast paced, fluid, professional class. I was a little struck by the fact that nobody was wearing a uniform. I understand that BJJ has a much more informal demeanor than other arts, but it still felt a bit weird to me. He does offer gi classes, so it's not like this is the only way he operates.

The building is located in a residential area, but looks to be a purpose built structure, not some garage or shed set-up. There was a nice padded floor with padded walls on three sides. There was no lockeroom as I could tell, and only a small restroom.

The beginners class that I took as my trial class was made up of mostly guys in their late twenties, with a few in their thirties, as well as one who was probably in his forties. There was one woman who I think is the older man's wife who must be of similar age. About twelve students total. Dee would demonstrate a technique, then we would practice it for a few minutes. He would demonstrate it again whereupon we would switch who was performing the technique. I thought this was very effective so that we could get a fresh view of the technique immediately before practicing it in the second group.

He doesn't do contracts, and twice a week training was going to run $60 a month. Is this a good price? It seems like it to me.

I'm a little torn between taking classes at this school and getting a regular gym membership. I can't do both because of the money drain. I'm leaning toward doing the twice a week classes at Absolute and weight workouts twice a week at the college gym where my wife works but isn't as nice as the place I would pay to join. Then I add in sword workouts within the week and on Saturday. I'm gonna be wiped by Sunday!

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    12/10/2006 10:10pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations! You're almost a real person now.

60/month for 2/week? How long are the classes?

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    12/10/2006 11:01pm

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless the classes are 30 minutes long, it's a good price. Do you spar? If not, it's ok because it is the beginners class. However, if people who are there a couple of months are not sparring, I'd be worried. Good luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 1:44am

Style: euro renaissance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So rolling is a different class. This was the technique class. When I asked him about how long till a student should roll, he pretty much said whenever you felt ready for it, but he recommended a few months. It looked like after that class that some of the other new folks were doing some rolling with the more experienced guys. That seems like a good transition to the regular rolling classes. Is this the norm?

The classes are about an hour.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 2:00am

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno, two one hour classes per week with no rolling is kind of weak. I am of the opinion that guys should be rolling within their first week or two, because even if you don't really know what's going on, rolling can be great "imersion" learning. This is assuming of course that you're rolling with a guy who will show you things and not just submit you every 5 seconds. Rolling is also really the only way to learn balance on the ground.

Do these classes actually start on time, or do they start on brazilian time, ie 20 minutes late? $60 a month doesn't sound too bad...I'd say go for it...some bjj is always greater than no bjj, but I guess I'm a little biased.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 2:07am

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah, did you like it? For some people bjj is like a crack addiction, but it's not for everyone http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48892

But with no contracts, you might as well try it out for a month and see how it goes.

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 2:15am

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    60 bucks for 2 hours a week isn't a bad price, but it isn't the steal that it sounds like. I pay 180 for 6-10 hours a week, so on the low end it's comparable. In my philly school, members need to wait a few months before they can roll. So it's not a sign of bullshido or mcdojoism or anything like that I rolled within my first month at my old school and I like that system better.

As an introduction to BJJ it sounds good. It's also good if you are pressed for time during your week. However, if your looking for more long term time consuming BJJ, you might want to look elsewhere or perhaps see if that school has better programs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 2:50am

Style: Kuk Sul Do/Capoeira/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So the class runs about an hour, right? Well, I'm not sure if you are getting enough of a workout. Our warm ups last about 45 min, we practice a technique, and then we roll for about 30min. I get the best workouts. It may be something to do for now since you are new. Look at it this way-- what is your goal? Do you want to get in shape? Do you want to compete--much later? Or, do you want to do the class so you can brag about training? I not poking fun. If you are looking at fitness and learning BJJ, I would look at other schools in your area. If you are totally out of shape, stay with this school and switch when you are ready. Before I started training BJJ I weighed 260lbs. I was a fat black belt in Kuk Sul Do. I did capoeira for about 3 years and lost some weight just to add it back when I stopped training. Now I compete with a weight of 177lbs. Right now I am nursing a back surgery so I'm a little heavy at 190. I plan on training again later this week and get back down to about 180. (very easy to do when training bjj three days a week)

Good luck.

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 4:21am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelbum
    He doesn't do contracts, and twice a week training was going to run $60 a month. Is this a good price? It seems like it to me.
    As I'm paying $170 a month here in the UK and also only making two classes (though if I was in the area long enough per week, I could technically make seven), I'd say thats an excellent price. :icon_wink

So rolling is a different class. This was the technique class. When I asked him about how long till a student should roll, he pretty much said whenever you felt ready for it, but he recommended a few months. It looked like after that class that some of the other new folks were doing some rolling with the more experienced guys. That seems like a good transition to the regular rolling classes. Is this the norm?
    At my class, we were rolling from the first lesson. However, at Roger Gracie's, the beginners do 'specific sparring', where you start from a certain position (e.g, in someone's guard) with a predetermined goal (e.g, pass the guard or sweep if you're on the bottom), after which you restart. IMO, I'd say roll as soon as you can, but like thomaspaine mentioned, only if you're either with higher grades who are willing to help out (which from my limited experience so far, they normally are), or fellow beginners not too far off your level.

Quote Originally Posted by Urso
    So the class runs about an hour, right? Well, I'm not sure if you are getting enough of a workout.
    Depends on your fitness levels. The classes I go to are also only an hour, and I'm fairly happy with the workout. Before starting, I thought an hour was a bit short, but that was before I experienced rolling with three or four people one after the other. I find grappling to be a hell of a workout, but then I'm not especially fit. :icon_wink

Also, where I train the beginner classes are an hour, whereas the advanced classes are 1.5hrs. Maybe shovelbum's place does something similar?

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 5:23am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What may not be understood from Slidey's post is that the fee is for any number of classes you can make per week.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast