Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 1:54pm

Style: PT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

gah, anyone have experience with ruptured discs

I'm curious as to whether any of yall have experience with ruptured discs (neck / C-spine). Apparently I have two, which caused a pinched nerve and a whole lot of stiffness and pain.

i think it started when someone used the can-opener on me (maybe my 2nd grappling class) and I kept training though my neck was beginning to feel sore.

I've missed a week of training, and the doc says to abstain until he says otherwise. He didnt give a specific timetable, so I'm posting here mostly out of curiosity. I've had an MRI done and he didnt seem particularly worried. Starting on steroids today.

If any of you have had any experience with ruptured discs - how long were you out of training? How slow did you have to take it once you trained again? Did you begin incorporating any special neck-warmups or precautions? When sparring? When grappling?

Any advice on how I can avoid this in the future would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by phuquedup; 12/07/2006 5:17pm at .

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 2:14pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think it started when someone used the can-opener on me (maybe my 2nd grappling class) and I kept training though my neck was beginning to feel sore.
    what asshole was applying cervical attacks to n00bs?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 2:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what asshole was applying cervical attacks to n00bs?
    Someone who got put in a kimura shortly thereafter. If I'd known, I would have applied a little extra pressure. Of course, i'm the ass for fighting through the crank instead of tapping.

This was a Krav class, and while the guy who put me in the can opener has a year + of experience (with Krav), I'm not sure how much grappling he has under his belt (obviously not a ton if a complete newcomer (to both Krav and BJJ) can put him in an improvised kimura...)

I don't really hold it against him, **** happens.
    Last edited by phuquedup; 12/07/2006 5:17pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 8:56pm

Style: Shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by phuquedup
    I'm curious as to whether any of yall have experience with ruptured discs (neck / C-spine). Apparently I have two, which caused a pinched nerve and a whole lot of stiffness and pain.

I've missed a week of training, and the doc says to abstain until he says otherwise. He didnt give a specific timetable, so I'm posting here mostly out of curiosity. I've had an MRI done and he didnt seem particularly worried. Starting on steroids today.

If any of you have had any experience with ruptured discs - how long were you out of training? How slow did you have to take it once you trained again? Did you begin incorporating any special neck-warmups or precautions? When sparring? When grappling?

Any advice on how I can avoid this in the future would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Dude, wow. THAT SUCKS. Personally, I would advocate building a stronger core (once you're all better of course) to give you the muscle to help you avoid injury, also, I strongly advise that you tap the moment you know you're fucked. It saves alot of pain.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 10:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, wow. THAT SUCKS. Personally, I would advocate building a stronger core (once you're all better of course) to give you the muscle to help you avoid injury, also, I strongly advise that you tap the moment you know you're fucked. It saves alot of pain.
    yeah. Thing is I wasnt fucked, I didnt even feel that much pain... and I "won". From now on, if I ever make it back to the mat, I'm gonna either ask my partner not to apply cervical moves, or tap the moment they even try for one. ****, same goes for triangles or anything else that puts pressure on my neck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 10:55pm

Style: Shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would then concentrate on building up your core strength. That's really useful in grappling.