• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 3:15am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Push-up Technique Questions...

Ok so Im doing push-ips, aiming to get 100 soon in a row and a thought occurred to me. Sometimes I do them with the elbows in like a close grip bench and other times I do them with the arms apart like a regular bench. I know Im using more or less tricep/chest/shoulder depending on the width but does it matter?

Im not talking about diamond vs regular style just the small differences in a regular push-up.

Is one way better when doing lots of push-ups (overuse injury related I guess)

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 3:21am

TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, whats a good goal? Im pretty sure Ill be able to do a set of 100 soon. Should I go for more or just different variations or slowing down?

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 9:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mixing it up in regards to width is good to build different parts of the chest and tri's. Try putting your feet at different heights as well. Always keep your back straight and your head up with your eyes looking forward.

A good standard would be to match the military standard for a person of your age. It might be different now but when I served I had to do 80 perfect pushups in two minutes to achieve a full score. This meant doing 80+ as not all were counted. In my platoon however we were held to a higher standard and had to perform minimum 100 in two minutes.

Try 80 in two with good form. Have someone watch you and the rule is hands slightly more than shoulder width to shoulder width apart. If you have to rest, do so with your arms fully extended and your arse in the air.

Now, take what I say with the understanding I have no formal education in sports medicine etc. Just what I took from the suck.

Ru Klas
    aka Red Elvis
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 9:54pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try five count up, five count down, five count in the down position and repeat. You'll get a hell of a lot more out of it than just cranking out a bunch in a row. A goal is whatever motivates you. If you want to do a hundred and that motivates you then go for it. Also try those handy dandy push up handles. That'll give you a greater range of motion. You can also try push ups on an exercise ball. Balance with your shins on the ball. It requires the use of a ton of muscles to keep from eating **** and rolling off.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 11:28pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have to touch the floor with your nose (as in go completely down) for it to be counted as a full pushup?
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 11:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by supercrap
    Do you have to touch the floor with your nose (as in go completely down) for it to be counted as a full pushup?
    Proper form dictates that your nose shouldn't be anywhere near the floor. Head up eyes forward puts your chin in a position where it might be close to being able to hit the floor if you have zero pecs. Try it and see. Your chest should hit first.

Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 11:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tabwyo
    Try five count up, five count down, five count in the down position and repeat. You'll get a hell of a lot more out of it than just cranking out a bunch in a row. A goal is whatever motivates you. If you want to do a hundred and that motivates you then go for it. Also try those handy dandy push up handles. That'll give you a greater range of motion. You can also try push ups on an exercise ball. Balance with your shins on the ball. It requires the use of a ton of muscles to keep from eating **** and rolling off.
    What he said. There are many variations of pushups. I haven't actually done regular ones in quite a while. I could list them, but I'm a lazy fucker. Try the cross fit website for a couple good ones.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 12:01am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ru Klas
    Proper form dictates that your nose shouldn't be anywhere near the floor. Head up eyes forward puts your chin in a position where it might be close to being able to hit the floor if you have zero pecs. Try it and see. Your chest should hit first.
    oops... yeas, chest on the floor. Got it.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 2:29am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not just use progressive resistance from lifting weights... doing 100 pushups.. what's the point?

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 12:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do use weights. I bench, Deadlift, Squat and do weighted chin-ups as well as powercleans and military presses.

Weight lifting is for strength. Bodyweight conditioning is for muscle endurance. 100 is just an a goal I have.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast