Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 8:23pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cardio...what does it do?

I work on my cardio about 2 hours a week. Until recently I jumped rope for 20 minutes at a time. My knee has been hurting a bunch and the Doc told me to lay off the rope.

This got me to thinking.....what exactly am I working out when I do Cardio? Abs? Heart? The muscles that help me breathe?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 8:42pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It helps you burn calories, and it improves the cardiovascular system (Heart and Lungs).

hmmm... Are you new to jumping rope? Or, do you usually have knee problems?

You can just walk for cardio exercise. Also, there are countless other things you can do to improve your cardio. Jumping rope is only one of them.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 8:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao
    It helps you burn calories, and it improves the cardiovascular system (Heart and Lungs).

You can just walk for cardio exercise. Also, there are countless other things you can do to improve your cardio. Jumping rope is only one of them.

I have had knee problems in the past. I just started walking Monday for my cardio.

WHat muscles does cardio target?

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 9:16pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34

WHat muscles does cardio target?
    Well the skeletal muscles (deltoids, quadriceps, etc.) being targeted depends on the exercise you're doing. With cardio however, working the skeletal muscles isn't the point, but the point is to work your cardiac muscles that make up your heart (and to a lesser extent, the smooth muscle that lines your arteries). Cardiac muscle is involuntary and the only way to force it to work harder and eventually better is to perform "cardio" exercise (cardio, cardiac, get it?).

As far as your knees go, have you thought about swimming or using a recumbent bike? Both take the stress off your joints (especially swimming).
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 9:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    Well the skeletal muscles (deltoids, quadriceps, etc.) being targeted depends on the exercise you're doing. With cardio however, working the skeletal muscles isn't the point, but the point is to work your cardiac muscles that make up your heart (and to a lesser extent, the smooth muscle that lines your arteries). Cardiac muscle is involuntary and the only way to force it to work harder and eventually better is to perform "cardio" exercise (cardio, cardiac, get it?).

As far as your knees go, have you thought about swimming or using a recumbent bike? Both take the stress off your joints (especially swimming).

Thanks for the cardio answer. So I am working the muscles that pump my blood right?

No swimming here...not many indoor pools, and I live just outside of Memphis so you know what the weather is like.

I hate the recumbent bikes. I used to have one but just couldnt make myself use it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 9:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What muscles does it target? The ones you're using.

I know this is a controversial point, but the heart doesn't move the body around. Performance is measured in skeletal muscle function.

Does the heart exist to service the skeletal muscles, or vice versa?

Does the tail wag the dog?
    Last edited by Nid; 12/06/2006 9:38pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 10:04pm

Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oldman I have the same problems. I dislocated my knee last December, and my knees been hurting when I rope and run ever since. I still rope for 20 minutes, make sure you are wearing shoes which seems to help, and roping on a soft surface, its like jumping on a pillow in the ring, as opposed on wooden floors or the street. I also bike/jog on the grass. I don't swim, but I imagine that would be the best because of the minimal impact and the nature of the muscles being used.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 7:10am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MM4Guy
    Oldman I have the same problems. I dislocated my knee last December, and my knees been hurting when I rope and run ever since. I still rope for 20 minutes, make sure you are wearing shoes which seems to help, and roping on a soft surface, its like jumping on a pillow in the ring, as opposed on wooden floors or the street. I also bike/jog on the grass. I don't swim, but I imagine that would be the best because of the minimal impact and the nature of the muscles being used.

I wear shoes and have some floor mats made for MA's that I jump on. Still hurts.
    I found out the hard way about not wearing shoes..stepped on a green army man my kids left out.

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 3:18pm

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My girlfriend rehabilitates her knee with a stationary bike, but my ex stepmom was a BMX racer with a bad knee. The doctor said interval and especially high interval biking helps the ligaments the most out of anything. Find yourself a track.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 8:59pm

Style: Shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao

He does TKD, they all get knee and hip problems. I highly reccommend the magical elliptical machine. Zero impact cardio and you can get one hell of a workout.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast