Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 6:26pm

Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sick as hell, any advice?

Basicly I have missed out on two fighting experiences up to date because although I do get ill rarely, when I do, its often for long periods of time. The last time this happened to me I was out of training for a week and school for 10 days (because thats how long my note was and school blows), and this time I've been out of commission since last friday obviously causing me to not be able to fight, since I'll probably be returning next week, and because it will be a while till I'm back 100%.

It might be fight training, but when I get sick I have severe asthma, 102 degree temperature, and lots of mucus, causing me to throw up anything I eat or drink. Obviously my doctor is going to give me a corticosteroid, Prednisone, but it makes me feel even worse because it irritates my stomach so severely, and I often lose 10 pounds in 1 week from incidents like these.

While the obvious solution would be to go to a doctor, they all do the same thing, try and give me Asmonex and then just give me Prednisone when I'm sick.

Anyone have any similar experiences, or know what to do? Obviously I don't expect a miracle cure, but anyways you found to keep your weight managed when sick or even feel a little bit better would be great. Thanks!

Btw, I lost 6 pounds already and i'm down to 136.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 9:09pm

Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will give you an advise that if you take, may help you.
    Seek an alternative procisioner. Homeopathy or an ND.
    You may have some allergic reaction that causes asthman that you don't know about.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 9:14pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MM4Guy
    Basicly I have missed out on two fighting experiences up to date because although I do get ill rarely, when I do, its often for long periods of time. The last time this happened to me I was out of training for a week and school for 10 days (because thats how long my note was and school blows), and this time I've been out of commission since last friday obviously causing me to not be able to fight, since I'll probably be returning next week, and because it will be a while till I'm back 100%.

It might be fight training, but when I get sick I have severe asthma, 102 degree temperature, and lots of mucus, causing me to throw up anything I eat or drink. Obviously my doctor is going to give me a corticosteroid, Prednisone, but it makes me feel even worse because it irritates my stomach so severely, and I often lose 10 pounds in 1 week from incidents like these.

While the obvious solution would be to go to a doctor, they all do the same thing, try and give me Asmonex and then just give me Prednisone when I'm sick.

Anyone have any similar experiences, or know what to do? Obviously I don't expect a miracle cure, but anyways you found to keep your weight managed when sick or even feel a little bit better would be great. Thanks!

Btw, I lost 6 pounds already and i'm down to 136.

Why are they giving you prednisone? Do you have a history of respiratory probelms? See if they can give you a prednsone shot. This is what they give me. It gives a boost but without having to take the step down dosages.

AS far as throwing up goes...try this....eat crackers, and drink small amounts of flat coke. It will stay down. I do it when I am having drainage problems and get vomity from it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 10:06pm

Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeh I do have a respiratory I had extremely harsh asthma growing up, and it comes back for peiods of 1-2 weeks every 5 months.

I just got my first prednisone shot 2 days ago, and it is infinitely better. The reason I got it was because of the stomach problem. I'm actually going to ask my doctor from now on.

I've been drinking Coke Syrup, but the weight is still a problem.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 10:39pm

Style: crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A friend of mine is on prednisone and it does some odd **** to you. I'd try to get away from that ASAP.

If mucous is a strong problem for you I recommend cutting dairy altogether out of your diet for a few weeks and seeing how you feel. Dairy is one of the biggest contributors to mucous buildup.

Do you have crohn's disease? I've seen prednisone prescribed for that and your mention of a "stomach problem" got me wondering.

Definitely check into your allergy situation. You could be aggravating your situation with choices affecting something you might not be aware of.

Also, do -not- drink soda if you're sick. It's one of the worst possible things you can put into your body at any given time, let alone during illness. Water is your best bet.
    Last edited by Zaii; 12/06/2006 10:42pm at .

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 10:48pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this is not the answer to your question,but I tried zicam for the common cold. And that stuff worked awsome for me! I start feeling better within a few hours of takeing it. I was skeptical at first, but it kicks ass on a cold!

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 7:13am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaii
    A friend of mine is on prednisone and it does some odd **** to you. I'd try to get away from that ASAP.

If mucous is a strong problem for you I recommend cutting dairy altogether out of your diet for a few weeks and seeing how you feel. Dairy is one of the biggest contributors to mucous buildup.

Do you have crohn's disease? I've seen prednisone prescribed for that and your mention of a "stomach problem" got me wondering.

Definitely check into your allergy situation. You could be aggravating your situation with choices affecting something you might not be aware of.

Also, do -not- drink soda if you're sick. It's one of the worst possible things you can put into your body at any given time, let alone during illness. Water is your best bet.
    water actually aggravates the mucus drainage in your stomach. I said FLAT soda....

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    weight = calories = eat more. If you can stomach shakes have one every few hours.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 1:21pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ/Boxing/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, shakes and ice cream are the way to go, they will pack the lbs on if you have enough. Also chicken, lots of chicken.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 6:16pm

Style: crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    water actually aggravates the mucus drainage in your stomach. I said FLAT soda....
    It's better to be hydrated than not, and you should be coughing that **** up instead of swallowing it.

Flat soda is still soda. It doesn't change the hideous nutritional value or what the contents do to your esophagus and intestinal lining.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast