Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 3:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well when I'm kickboxing I use the modified kickboxing stance that I was taught back in Nashville. I still have my hip dropped back and my shoulder pointed forward, but it's squared just enough to keep my legs pointed forward to allow for better lead leg round kicks and leg defense. I recommended the boxer T just because this was a "boxing" video.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 4:45pm

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No argument: if he's going to pure-box, the T is clearly better unless you're somebody really light and REALLY technical like KoKo Kovacs). But if boxing is just a part of his toolkit and a small part at that (judging by both the arm punching and the strategy of getting to the clinch and letting his size work for a takedown), then he may need to keep squared so as not to throw off everything else.

Like I said, I didn't actually disagree with anything you'd said here. "Nothing to see here, move along..."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 7:59pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said before, appreciate the comments.

Lotsa stuff to work on between now and the next time. I'll see if he is willing to ramp it up and really get to it when we touch gloves next.

For the record, I know I was arm punching. This was the first time we had ever worked out together and we agreed to keep it light and freindly. Now that we know each other better it should be no problem to focus more on form and let loose.

So anyone else? Any positive comments?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 8:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just so ya know, the intensity/contact level of sparring should have no effect on your technique. In fact, your technique should be BETTER at lighter contact levels, since you're not working against as much resistance and things aren't as wild. It can still be very beneficial to do light contact work like this, so long as you're still focusing on keeping the same technique.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 8:28pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AMF: Nice stuff. My computer's sick so the video was too choppy for me to say anything about your technique after watching quickly, I'll reboot and watch again sometime soon. I just wanted to say rock on for boxing, rock on for sparring, and most importantly rock on for posting it here. I guess I'll have to post videos of me sparring now (read: getting beaten by my friend who I outweigh by 30 lbs)... and have everyone tear into me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 9:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Just so ya know, the intensity/contact level of sparring should have no effect on your technique. In fact, your technique should be BETTER at lighter contact levels, since you're not working against as much resistance and things aren't as wild. It can still be very beneficial to do light contact work like this, so long as you're still focusing on keeping the same technique.

Ya know what kid? You're right.
    No more excuses from my end, train harder, work on the things that were suggested. :thumbsup:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 11:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Positive feedback: you have a good knack for slipping when you don't duck. Oblique body movements plus a counterpunch could be very productive for you at your reach level.

Are you coming to the TD? (I can't commit yet until I talk to the boss, but I intend to, we could play some).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 9:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The one in Dallas FW area the 19th of Jan? If work doesn't tie me up too much I should be able to make it. It's far enough out to plan for the only issue is driving time, I am coming from way South (Aransas Pass).
    Is there a location yet?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 10:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, PanAmSilver's hosting, check the Throwdown forum.

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 1:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you're on pure defence try to visualize where you'd land a punch (were you actually punching). Keep your (imaginary) punches in sync with how your body is moving while you're ducking his punches. This will also help to keep your eyes on your opponent. It's hard to tell from the video but it looks as if you're covering up and not watching what he's doing. It can be difficult to do when somebody is swinging at your face, but you need to condition your self to keep him locked on in your sights at all times.

Second, donít cross your feet when you move, keep your stance fairly constant. Keeping your weight to your back foot (as already mentioned) will also help lower your centre of gravity a bit and give you a bit more stability.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12