Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 10:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actuallly have a story that is relevant here...but I want to get off here so I will make it brief
    Out drinking with a few of my rowdy Native buddies about two years ago and this one kid (22 yrs or so) is talking tough all night about BJJ and how fucking badass he can be etc. etc. this kid weighs about 145 lbs soaking wet and I am listening to him all night thinking about how I would love to punch a hole in his chest..but , anyways, when we are walking home he gets pissed off at one of my buddies (apparently he called him a ***** or something) and grabs him and snaps an armbar on him.
    I watch this and think "Oh Christ" . The kid knew I was a fighter with a bit of a rep so he is trying to impress me or something....so I calmly walk over to him and tap him on the shoulder.(they are lying on the ground and he has the armbar nice and tight) I tell him if he doesn't let Trevor up right now I am going to smash his face in.
    He lets Trevor up (by the way Trevor is about 75lbs heavier and could likely kick this guy's ass, he wasn't expecting a 'friend' to do this to him) and I spend the next few minutes diffusing the situation.
    Later on we are at an after hours bar and I lecture the kid on being too eager to show off his stuff. I told him that if he kept going around and pulling **** like that eventually he will get hurt by someone.
    Anyways, point being - instead of nicely tapping him on the shoulder and warning him I could have just stomped his head while he was lying there. This was not a stranger, though. And I knew I could get him to let my friend go If I just warned him...BUT I could have kicked him senseless.
    You have to be aware of your surroundings. Armbaring a guy with a group of rowdies around CAN be a very, very bad idea.
    Good Night!
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 12:21am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^Jacks off to Bruce Lee posters

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 12:47am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cracky, your post should be in asterisks, not "^^^"

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 10:00am

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice to know this thread turned into a "Why BJJ doesn't work on teh str33t" because **** knows I've never heard any of these arguments before on the 4 million threads we have on it here............
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 10:08am

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ
    Yeah, unless the guy you are armbarring has a few buddies around who will stomp your head and make you pay for busting their pal's arm.
    Have any of you ever been in a streetfight?
    Have you ever been to school?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 10:10am

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    If he is armed with a nuculer weapon?

Of course, only chain-punching works in that situation.

--J.D.
    No, those situations are what TKD invented uber high kicks for.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 10:46am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When reading Ozz' posts, just remember, neg rep is your friend.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 11:55am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ
    Yeah, unless the guy you are armbarring has a few buddies around who will stomp your head and make you pay for busting their pal's arm.
    Have any of you ever been in a streetfight?
    I freaking hate that god damn argument! "Well what if he has a lot of friends around him that will stomp on your head? Or what if he has a knife or a hand grenade? What if what if..."

If he has a lot of friends around, they will probably come and stomp on you or beat you up anyway, no matter what freaking technique or punch you use. In general it is a bad idea to get into a fight where you are outnumbered or outgunned. If people don't know when or where to use a technique or skill, then of course it can end badly.

And also the typical condescending "Have any of you ever been in a streetfight?"-argument. Just because you this one time in bandcamp fought a 5'th grader and won, doesn't make you a tough guy know it all. People that have never been in a fight might know as much or more than you do.

*edit* And that stupid guy in your story was a brilliant example on when it doesn't work. But if you change the situation and he had been alone with him it might have worked(though he probably would have gotten thrown to jail for excessive violence if he had broken his arm). Things aren't that black and white, and I admit that BJJ is probably not the best selfdefense, or offense for that matter, on the street, but it is good to know.
    Last edited by DevonHartigan; 12/06/2006 12:03pm at .

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 12:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...it is a bad idea to get into a fight. Period. With anyone.

Legal repurcussions. What if the mofo stabs you in the chest
    out of nowhere? Nothing wrong with walking away or running away.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 12:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    ^^^Jacks off to Bruce Lee posters
    Is that better or worse than jacking off to Adolf Hitler posters?
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast