Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Community Corrections Officer supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cool Chin-up Bar

As some of you may or may not know, I recently got a promotion, and with that promotion I lost my chance to work out in a decently stocked weight room on my lunch breaks. Which means two things. First, I have to work out at home, which is much harder because of all the distractions and the time it takes up. Second, I have virtually no equipment. Seriously, I have one small barbell, one dumbbell and 80# of those plastic sand/cement filled weights. So pretty much I was relegated to doing shoulder presses, bent over rows, barbell curls, and triceps extensions. And most with a weight that is too light for me.

Ah, but then I received this cool piece of equipment. Everlastís multi-function chinning bar. Pull ups are great for me. Because of my bodyweight (about 185-190) they put me in about the 5-6 rep range which qualifies as lifting heavy. And there are so many great grip positions because of the design of the bar. I love neutral/hammer grip pull ups and it has a spot for those. Narrow and not so narrow grip spots (I canít really call it wide grip, since it is still only the width of a doorway. So Iíll hit about 5 sets, starting with neutral grip, then overhand/wide grip, then underhand narrow to hit the biceps, then back to neutral, though at the wider position.

The other thing I really like about this is you can set it on the floor and use it as a push-up station. I like it a lot better than doing regular push-ups. Gripping the bar is easier on the wrists, and feels more like bench pressing. And I can lower my chest all the way to the bar, which gives a little deeper bend than the old nose to the floor. Plus it has the varying grips, from wide (as wide as I bench) to narrow with a spot for a narrow neutral grip as well.

Iíve been hitting it several times a week for the last two weeks now and feel like Iím getting a great workout, and can see some results in shoulder, back and arm development. Throw in some rounds on the heavy bag between sets and/or exercises and Iíve got myself a nice little cross-training workout.

It hangs very securely, since it is not based on the in between the door frame spring loaded tension principle. Though you do need well attached door molding. I actually nailed up a couple extra boards on a doorway in an unfinished basement.

Anyhoo, I highly recommend it.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought ans "as seen on TV" doorgym from Walmart, which is basically the same thing.Yes it is fantatstic, but have you found that you lose about 3-4 reps of your totals when compared to a freestanding/gym bar? I think the leg position on the home unit makes the chin-ups a little harder...which is actually a good thing really!Anyway, everyone should own one of these bits of kit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Price?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got one of those.

I actually use a medicine ball for pushups instead of that thing though. Much better for stabilizer muscles.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    Price?
    Mine was about 50 loonies - I assume it will be about the same in U.S. and god knows what in sterling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    29.99 at the Big 5.

Phrost, a medicine ball is next on my list for home fitness equipment.

HMAP, (Truly, that is an unfortunate name. I almost didn't bother to respond to you! Then I realized you were someone else.) I tended to tuck my legs up in the gym anyway, to minimize swing, so I don't really notice to much difference. The only thing I really notice is that I can't do wide grip overhands like I could at the gym.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    29.99 at the Big 5.

Phrost, a medicine ball is next on my list for home fitness equipment.

HMAP, (Truly, that is an unfortunate name. I almost didn't bother to respond to you! Then I realized you were someone else.) I tended to tuck my legs up in the gym anyway, to minimize swing, so I don't really notice to much difference. The only thing I really notice is that I can't do wide grip overhands like I could at the gym.
    I'm finding this problem with my name quite a lot (check it out at newbietown!) but I am sticking to my guns - and my name!I do an "knee-tuck" at home but would probably kneecap myself on the gym unit if I tried it - I do more fo a "coffin drop" (i.e. dead straight) pull. Oh and I have to lock my arms out as well (because my employer does not count them otherwise!)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, that's cheaper than i thought it would be for nEverlast.
    I'll hafta check it out.

I want to get one of those half-bosu ball things. They cost more than a full ball though, which is kinda weird. I guess it's the base? *shrug*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do more fo a "coffin drop" (i.e. dead straight) pull.
    Man, I don't know if there's something wrong with my technique, or what, but I cannot do them that way without getting hella swinging going.

Nieldo, that was a sale price. But I have a feeling that it's one of those items that you can always find on sale somewhere. What's a "half bosu ball"? Is that one of those medicine balls with the handles molded into the sides?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    Man, I don't know if there's something wrong with my technique, or what, but I cannot do them that way without getting hella swinging going.

Nieldo, that was a sale price. But I have a feeling that it's one of those items that you can always find on sale somewhere. What's a "half bosu ball"? Is that one of those medicine balls with the handles molded into the sides?
    I actually do them relatively slowly rather than the hup-down-hup-down cadence that a lot of people do.This could be because at 6'2" ish I have quite long limbs...or maybe I am an uncoordinated cabbage! Either way try doing them slower on the coffin drop and see what happens

Page 1 of 2 12 Last