Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 2:18am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dealing with a brawler?

I just had my first mma fight this past weekend.

Now I always thought my boxing was "ok", nothing special, but adequete.

This dude I am fighting comes out just completely swinging for the fences, I mean throwing Tank Abbot style bombs meant to decapitate me.

I won the fight, (his ground game was horrible, I owned him on the ground badly, broke his collar bone when I took him down).

But what bothers me is that my boxing, which I thought was ok, looked like ****.

I dont know if my school just doesnt spar hard enough (16 oz gloves + headgear), or his sloppy ass unorthodox boxing threw me off or what (most people in my gym try to box vs throw bombs trying to decapitate). '

But whatever I didnt feel prepared for this style of attack, thank god his wrestling and ground game were shitty, as I had no problem putting him on his back and getting mount and pounding his face till he tapped.

Anyone else ever been throw off by a less boxer with more raw power with an unorthodox style? (Guy was stronger then me for sure)

Oh yeah, another lesson I learned is that 16 oz gloves and headgear, doesnt compare to 4oz gloves, not at all.
    Last edited by Niceguy; 12/05/2006 2:27am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 2:25am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 2:26am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why are you doing mma fights and training with 16oz boxing gloves? surely at least some of your training should be with lighter gloves?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 2:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    why are you doing mma fights and training with 16oz boxing gloves? surely at least some of your training should be with lighter gloves?
    yeah, we do spar with the lighter gloves closer to the fights, but you do realize the potential for injury goes up alot with those 4 oz knuckle covers?

I dont make the rules at my gym, if it were up to me, we would spar more in 4 oz gloves, but our coach has us put on the 16oz and headgear most of the time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 2:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok reading these descriptions I am:

Inside-fighter

In-fighters are often considered the most exciting boxers to watch. This style favours closing inside an opponent, overwhelming them with intensity and flurries of hooks and uppercuts. They tend to be agile on their feet which can make them difficult to evade for a slower fighter. They also tend to have a good "chin" because this usually involves being hit with many jabs before they can maneuver inside where they are more effective.

Notable in-fighters include Mike Tyson, Shane Mosley, Jake LaMotta, Ricky Hatton, Marco Antonio Barrera, Antonio Margarito, Julio César Chávez, and Joe Frazier.

The dude I fought was most definetly a brawler

If the out-fighter represents everything classy about boxing, the brawler (also known as the 'slugger', 'hard hitter' or 'one puncher') often stands for everything that's brutal and dirty in the sport. Sluggers tend to lack finesse in the ring, but make up for it in raw power, often able to knock almost any opponent out with a single punch. This ability makes them exciting to watch, and their fights unpredictable. Many brawlers tend to lack mobility in the ring and have difficulty pursuing fighters who are fast on their feet. They prefer the harder, slower punches (such as hooks and uppercuts) and tend to ignore combination punching. Their slowness and predictable punching patterns (single punches with obvious leads) often leaves them open for counterpunching.

Famous brawlers include Cruz Horua, Arturo Gatti, Eric Esch, Sonny Liston, George Foreman, Rocky Marciano, Manny Pacquiao, Mike Tyson (after his prime), Nigel Benn, Gerald McClellan and former featherweight champion Naseem Hamed.

Here is most likely what happened:

Brawlers tend to overcome in-fighters, because the in-fighter likes to be on the inside, where the hard-hitting brawler is most effective. The in-fighters flurries tend to be less effective than the power punches of the slugger, who quickly overwhelms his opponents. Two famous examples of these include George Foreman defeating Joe Frazier and Mike Tyson knocking out Joe's son, Marvis Frazier (in just 30 seconds).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 2:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabster the Bad Elf
    How were you moving when he was coming at you? You just go straight back? Moving more to the side? Gotta think of some fighters like bulls. They come charging and swingin, where do you want to be to do the most damage and in some cases, the most frustration.
    to be honest i always move forward, i am short for my weight and have to get inside to land any effecitve punches usually

i think his power bomb style was just a bad match up for me

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 2:17pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It'd be helpful to have your sparring partners rush in on you and approximate this style of wild brawling so you get used to handling it. And in the early stages, the 16 oz gloves are a nice precaution, because what you really want to learn to handle isn't just the how to deal with a straight moving haymaker style, but how to handle the aggression and power that makes that kind of fighter dangerous.

Learning to evade laterally get angles is useful even for an inside fighter (OK, I stated the obvious there. Its good for everybody really). When boxing opponents with more reach (happens often at my gym) it's essential for me to mix crashing in from the front and slipping to the sides to keep them guessing enough and create openings. Otherwise, no lateral movement = eating repeated jabs against longer opponents. However, I have to agree with the categorized assessment that brawlers are usually tough match for inside fighters, so lateral movement might only help you enough to avoid getting crushed by the initial wave. Your ground game is really the best counter, as you already know.

And from a muay thai standpoint, kicks should open up even more options against a brawler. But my MT vs aggressive brawler sparring experience is rather limited, so perhaps others can expand on this area. I know it seems obvious that a good leg kick is a helpful longer range weapon, but I know how fast brawlers can close distance. So more experienced people might have ideas about how to employ kicks w/o having a brawler simply eat it on the way in and then unleashing his/her haymakers at a proximity where you can't kick anymore.

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 2:42pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jimmy makes some really good points. Angles, angles, angles. Don't stand there in his gunsights, or he will mow you down. Slip and angle off. Chop him with leg kicks. But most importantly, develop your punching power. It's amazing what a little power punching will do to back a brawler off. If every time he comes in, you slip and land a blow that sends him reeling, he'll be less likely to just bull rush wildly.

Once you've established a little respect, then you can box the hell out of him from the outside. Your entire goal should be to either slow down his rush, which power punch slip and counters and leg kicks should accomplish. Either that, or use his forward momentum to set up a takedown if he's tipping forward, which is what it sounds like you did. Hip and shoulder throws are a gimme, fireman's carries can be pretty easy too.

But if you want to keep it standing and hold your own, angles, leg kicks and power will serve you well. Jabs can be a good distracting deterrent as well, if you can throw them nice and stiffly.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 2:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't fight MMA and spar lighter than you do so I might be FOS

But I have always found leg kick kicks and kicks in general a good way to throw someone rushing at you off their game.

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 4:25pm

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Niceguy:

No plan survives contact with the enemy. There's no easy way to deal with some guy trying to rip your head off. It's completely different from having a friendly boxing match.

Blocks and parries loss effectiveness. Besides no one wants to even stand in the path of a jackass that's throwing bricks.

The only thing you can do be light on your feet, and keep out of range while you size him up. They burn out.

What a minute...you are so funny.

Whats the answer to a brawler?

Grappling. You bastard. Touche.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast