Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 5:35pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Two more judo rules questions..

1. Does knee-on-belly count as a pin in competition? I asked an instructor and he had never seen it before and couldn't say for sure. If it does then that's really great because no pure judoka I've ever rolled with has had a clue how to escape it and it is really hard to roll to turtle out of.

2. If I try for jikogu jime/hell strangle/crucifix choke and don't get the choke at once, does it count as a pin for the opponent?

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 5:46pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGALEF
    1. Does knee-on-belly count as a pin in competition? I asked an instructor and he had never seen it before and couldn't say for sure. If it does then that's really great because no pure judoka I've ever rolled with has had a clue how to escape it and it is really hard to roll to turtle out of.
    This is a complete guess so take it with a pinch of salt but, if your instructor hasnt ever seen it before, theres a good likelihood a referee won't have either. So it all depends on how he reacts. Try and find a copy of the rules for whatever tourney you're competiting in and see if they define a pin, or if theres anything which specifically bans knee-on-belly or hints that it might.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 6:25pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGALEF

2. If I try for jikogu jime/hell strangle/crucifix choke and don't get the choke at once, does it count as a pin for the opponent?

knee on belly: in my experience no
    but its fairy easy to trainsition from knee on belly to something else, so if they dont start counting, just transition to side control or something (stupid compicated rules)

crucifix strangle: usually no, but i have seen a referee start counting at a local level competition
    this is a difficult situation, if they wont tap before the 25 seconds, its hard to let go and transition into something without giving them the upper hand, maybe someone else can help out here

judo competition rules suck

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 6:34pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. No for KOB. You may get stopped if your posture is too straight because it will look like you are standing up.

2. Okuri Eri Jime is a Judo waza also but it is usually uncommon. If your ref doesn't know it, it is a big issue with their ability as a ref.

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 7:18pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knee on belly (uki gatame) is no longer considered a pin under IJF rules. You're allowed to do it in competition and transition to something else, however. Besides, its freaking hard to pin someone for 25 seconds under knee on belly!

http://judoforum.com/index.php?showt...&hl=uki+gatame
    http://judoforum.com/index.php?showt...=knee+on+belly

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 9:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excuse me if these are stupid questions but I was wondering about some things too.

1. Was atemi waza always illegal in Judo even in the early days.

2. Why are leg locks and Kani Basami illegal?

3. How strict are judges on using wrestling throws in competitions?
    カンフー

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 9:26pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    !. Atemi has always been illegal

2. Kani Basami is seen as a dangerous attack to the legs. Leg locks have always been illegal in shiai as far as I know. I haven't seen any of the agreed upon rules during the establishing period of the Kodokan.

3. Wrestling throws are mostly legal if they are throws and gripping rules are followed. 5 seconds for same side/ pants grips and no drag downs. The big issue about some wrestling and other martial art's throws are the head first impact danger. Some suplexes can be judged as dangerous and the competitor can be DQed.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 9:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    okay thanks Mongo.
    カンフー

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 10:15pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kani Basami was banned primarily because Yamashita broke his leg by not performing ukemi from it in shiai. It's not really that dangerous, especially with lighter people.

Leg locks were banned sometime in the early 20th C because there was an unacceptably high rate and severity of injury. They were legal early on. Basically everything that is currently legal at high level BJJ competition was once legal in Judo competition.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 7:03pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i thought leglocks and atemi were taken out by kano so judo would be allowed into the olympics

kinda like the ufc added in more rules to be allowed
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast