Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 8:59am

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm looking for a gi with these specific features

Right, so I'm going to buy a new gi at the end of this month. I have two gis at the moment, on of which I will put into retirement when I buy a new one. My first gi is really stiff and thick. I think it's a double weave, and it has a huge, stiff collar. The problem is that it doesn't breathe at all and it's very uncomfortable to train in. I also feel like it severely limits my mobility.

My second gi is a basic Koral. I love it, except for two problems. The collar is way to flexible and easy for my opponent to handle. Second, and this is the big one, the sleeves are WAY to easy to grab because thay are so thin. If someone gets a good grip on this baby, the grip is unbreakable.

Therefore, I'm looking for something in the middle. I don't want my gi to be stiff and feel like I'm wearing a full suit of armor, yet I want it to be a bit heavier than my Koral. I've been looking at the Atama gold weaves and the new Gameness Platinum. Does anyone have any idea about what gi I'm looking for? Heavier than a Koral, but not a full double weave.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 9:12am

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks like you have you tried reading the big gi megathread that is stickied at the very top of this fourm. Therefore, why didn't you post this in there with your other post?
    Last edited by eviechu; 12/04/2006 9:15am at .

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 11:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because I don't think anyone actually reads that thread anymore. If a mod really, really wants to move that post into that thread (which btw is full of non-gear related crap at this point), feel free to do so.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 11:44am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like my Atama Gold Weave a lot. It's light and soft, but the collar and sleeves are thick enough to annoy someone.

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 5:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Either Atama or Gameness would suit you fine - I have both and really like them. Also the M-Kimono gi's are great.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 5:39pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try Keiko Raça, I think you'll like it - my second favorite gi after my Koral MKM. The gi pants are definitely the best I've found.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 11:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love my Bad Boy (Atama) gi. Some people I roll with hate it because it is so thick and heavy. It's hard to grip, really rough.

This thing can stand up on its own it is so thick.

Of course, it's not very comfortable to roll in. And if we do gi chokes, my back looks like I've been lashed with the cat 'o nine tails a hundred times afterwards.

If gis were a suit of armor, this would be a plate armor of extra thickness +3.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 1:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSLightsOut
    Try Keiko Raça, I think you'll like it - my second favorite gi after my Koral MKM. The gi pants are definitely the best I've found.
    Is the MKM thicker than the cheaper Koral? Honestly, it seems to me as if the MKM is just the standard Koral for an extra :20bux: for a few patches. :icon_scra What actually makes the MKM better?

EDIT: After looking over the Atama website I honestly don't really understand why I should buy the "mundial" over their classic gi either. The argument for me shelling out an extra 40 bucks is basically that it looks a little nicer and has no seam in the back.

On the other hand, if there are people who actually buy a $300 gi because it says Wanderlei on it, I guess you can sell anything...
    Last edited by PoleFighter; 12/05/2006 1:15am at .

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 2:06pm

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you want something heavy but still breathes check out the Howard Combat Kimono standard single.

http://howardliu.com/catalog/bjj/single.htm

I have one, it was my first gi. It's heavier than most other single weave kimonos, but not stiff. I've been pretty happy with it.

I recently upgraded to an atama mundial and I must say it's worth the money if you're looking for a competition gi. The tapered sleaves make a difference and while it feels just as strong as my HCK kimono it's considerably lighter (read: cooler).

1 warning on the HCK, his sizing is a lot different than other kimonos. I wear an A3 kimono, A2 pants in atama and most others, Howard recommended an A5/A4 for my height/weight (5'9", 185lbs). It was huge when I first got it. Took a lot of washes in hot water and drying in high heat to get it to fit me the way it should.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 7:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How does the HCK standard single last? is it durable?

How comfortable is it, and do you know how it compares to the competition gi?

I'm thinking of buying one over the holidays.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast