Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 4:33pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe, just maybe it is possible to drive one of the bones in the vicinity of the nose into some part of the brain. I mean possible in the "tornado driving a straw through a tree" sense. (Not very likely.) The likelyhood of one of those small bones causing enough damage to kill you instantly is quite small. The likelyhood that the *impact* will not kill you instantly and allow you be actually killed by the bone is even smaller.

So, I would have to say it is possible to kill instantly by driving the nose bone into the brain. It's just highly improbable. Sort of like the possibility of spontaneously transforming into a penguin (approx. 2 to the power of 240,000 to 1).:new_scatt

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 5:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can transform into a penguin at will. It's part of my training in Ki breathing.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 5:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    What would've been easier is just posting a picture of a human skull, pointing out that

1.) there is no "nose bone"

and

2.) even if there were, your brain is entirely encased in your cranium, one of the hardest bones in the body.
    In the later picture you will see the ethmoid bone--the slightly spikey bone in the middle.

There is a slight . . . slight . . . slight chance a fracture will tear the veins or worse arteries that can lead to "t3h d34dly." Severe fractures to the floor of the anterior fossa [The space in front that contains the ethmoid, sphenoid, and frontal bones.--Ed.] can tear vessels, which can lead to infarcts of the brain, swelling, bleeding, and nastiness-oh-my. The impact can also damage the frontal lobes--which sit on a rather rough floor of the anterior fossa not adequately shown in the drawing.

This can happen from more mundane mechanisms like a fall with fracture or a car accident.
    I am unaware of this happening in a fight.

However, as others indicate, you can damage the frontal lobes without killing someone--lobotomy or more properly "leukotomy" and contussions.

Most, if not all, "t3h d34dly" strikes to the head involve a severe head injury with secondary deterioration--swelling, a fracture causes bleeding. The classical "temple shot" is a variation of that--fracture the thin part of the squamous temporal bone . . . this severes either the middle meningeal artery or vein . . . blood accumulates . . . person dies . . . "t3h d34dly d3l4y'd Touch . . . of DEATH!."

More like a hard shot . . . a very hard shot. It is also not instantaneous. The guy may go "out" but he is not dead . . . yet. The "classical" story is someone who is knocked out, "comes to," walks about as blood accumulates until he falls asleep and shuttles off from this mortal coil. One of the reasons for the "keep them awake" story.

If you cannot keep the person awake . . . gee whiz you have a problem!

That is rather different from a "bone causes instant death!" myth.

The force--energy--required from a punch to fracture the floor of the anterior fossa, as you suggest, to do what the myth requires would be more than sufficient to not only knock someone unconscious, but to do other damage . . . particularly when his head hits the pavement!

So to target this--to "plan" do hit someone to drive a bone into their brain . . . is ludicrous LARP'ng. "Iron Mike" Tyson evoked it in the beginning of his career to scare opponents.

--J.D.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 5:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent point, Doc. If someone can use a hammer to drive an icepick through the eye socket and then destroy part of the frontal lobes by moving them all around (read here, a transorbital lobotomy), what chance does a little chunk of bone have, especially considering that the bone can't get to the brain anyway?

Unsurprisingly, Doc. X is correct again - the impact of the head against the ground has a higher probability of causing more serious damage than the rising palm strike to the nose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobotomy

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 5:41pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnjunkie
    Dude I'm not quite sure to why you posted that link since it was in the start of the thread, but hey, I'll let it slide and thank you for spreading the article some more.

Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    - See this will take some time to hash out here. The vast majority of posters balance their posting style between covert humour and outright hostility. You get people like Red Elvis and Askari that will just nail you to the wall but in a loving way. Then you'll get posters like myself, Der and Doc X who will give you just enough rope to hang yourself and then point and laugh. If you're lucky you will never run into Omega on a bad day as you'll most likely spend the rest of the afternoon digging the size 13D out of your ass!

Hope this helps.

TKD
    Lol thx for the heads up. You should consider joining the adopt-a-noobie-organization where you might find me on the up-for-adoption-list. Nah just kidding, I can see why you are one of the more respected posters in here. Props to you for the info.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 5:49pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Dammit, Donnie. Why you gotta get all smart on us?" Doctor X:icon_wink
    Last edited by DevonHartigan; 12/04/2006 6:38pm at .

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 5:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humm
    Nah the lazy fekker just knew when it was time to have a nap.

...bearing in mind that offered the same evidential value to the effectiveness of the aikido technique seen in the film... Bruce Willis is such a bad-ass he should fight in UFC with that kind of uber seagal ability.

...I couldn't make out his Magic Pants though, quite disappointing really

Yeah..."The Last Boy Scout"...wow...

I asked my wife....(Mrs. Oldman34, RN, CLNC, BSN, Lead Clinical Nurse, ER Head Nurse for 8 years) if it was possible to kill someone like this. After she finished laughing and asked me if Doc X put me up to this....

She said. "No."
    There is no bone in the nose that can be broken loose and driven into the brain. The end of the nose is cartilidge and the nose itself is a small protrusion from the skull. She said that if you were hit in the nose hard enough (she has seen this happen to a patient that got hit by a 2x4) that death would come from the blunt force trauma that either caused the brain to swell or from the crushing of the occipital or nasal bones. which would also cause swelling and possible internal bleeding in the brain. She called it a hematoma (spelling?)

She also said that the chance of someone striking you hard enough (with one blow) with their hand to crush these bones is so astronomical that it is near to impossible. She did say that repeated blows could cause this type of damage but again, death would come from brain swelling, or bleeding caused by the blunt trauma.

She also told me to take my Magic Pants off, and leave her the hell alone....

P.S. She said if I jad a good pic of her I could post it in the BBC for Iscariot.

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 6:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost
    Unsurprisingly, Doc. X is correct again -
    Cannot . . . find . . . room . . . in . . . signature. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Oldman34
    She said if I jad a good pic of her I could post it in the BBC for Iscariot.
    Want to borrow one of mine?

Et cetera. . . .

--J.D.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 6:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    Cannot . . . find . . . room . . . in . . . signature. . . .

Want to borrow one of mine?

Et cetera. . . .

--J.D.
    Got any that show her clitty? I prefer the ones where she is shaved if you still have them.

BTW, she REALLY hates you now. I will tell her you care.

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 6:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would be more worried about what she will do to you with that oyster fork.

--J.D.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast