Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 12:09am

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinshoryu
    The skull is more than just one bone, but you are right, as whole is pretty damn hard. Although one of its weak points (weak compared to other parts of the skull) is precisely above the the nasal bone, where the frontal sinus is located (just an air space).
    Interesting thing about that is I've heard most of the damage to that part of the skull resulting from impact behind the head rather than in front of it. I sorta remember a biology class in '99, (been a while, so wait for confirmation), that the teacher explained that many people lose their sense of smell after a minor car accident from impact from the rear. The more recent neocortex region of the head is more jagged and less smooth than the encasing of the brain to the rear, and impact from the rear causes the head to jolt forward, letting the front of the skull sever the olfactory nerves, resulting in a loss of smell following even a minor car accident.

Of course, my memory may be fuzzy, but that's what I remember him saying.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 12:37am

Style: Injured for 1+ years

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, thanks Shinshoryu for injecting some reality into the conversation, b/c people are passing off alot of speculation as fact.

So, in addition to what you said let me also point out that the brain isn't entirely encased in the cranium. There are openings where nerve bundles travel in and out, eg: the optic nerve, the spinal cord, etc.

But all of this is minor anyway. The title-holder for worst statement on the thread goes to:

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Shi Dist
    Lets assume, for the sake of contradiction, that the nose bone could be broken to a point where it could protrude into the brain. Would that cause death? Look at the case of Phineas Gage, who had a 1.25 inch diameter iron pole shot through the front of his brain and survived. Therefore a tiny bone invading the same region of the brain is not going to cause the necessary trauma to instantly kill you.
    Uh.. that's why you know his name over 100 years later, b/c it was a miracle. Much tinier trauma frequently causes death or a myriad of other weird effects. Some rare individuals have survived severe damage to half of their brain, but *many* more die from a single tiny clot. A tiny bone jammed into your brain would very likely be enough to do it.

But yeah, i agree the move is b.s.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 12:47am

Style: Injured for 1+ years

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Uber Geek Batman moment as a time out.

"in Legends of The Dark Knight #62, Bruce Wayne identifies the Leopard Blow more specifically as a move in which one uses the heel of the palm to drive the "nasal bones" into the brain"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Shiva

Damn batman... you're slipping.

Well if it helps to redeem him any, I remember watching a batman cartoon a looong time ago (like early 1990s) where Alfred sees Bruce and Robin practicing their fighting, out back. Bruce drops the kid to the ground pretty fast. Alfred asks them what they're practicing and Batman responds:
    "Jiu Jitsu!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 6:55am

Style: Bujutsu / Muay Thai / MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EDIT: bah! my internet connection is so **** tonight it didnt display properly so I just posted something someone else had just posted!
    everything hurts...I'll go get drunk now...
    ~Nick
    Last edited by Rubber Tanto; 12/04/2006 8:10am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 7:53am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fact that nobody has refuted the evidence in this thread, must mean that the evidence has been persuasive enough to bust the myth in the minds of the people still believing in it. I'm kind of surprised that no one has presented some freakscanario where it would work, and actually believed it and meant it. Looks like this will be a short thread after all.

Btw does anyone have some ideas as to how to tell the difference between irony and idiocy? I think I might be enviromentally damaged after encountering countless of morones on the internet(especially in the youtube commentary sections), so that I can no longer tell whether people are being ironic or just plain stupid. I have however learned that people on this forum definitely are the ironic kind:thumbsup:

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 11:13am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the uppercut to the nose that Ray Mercer gave Francesco Damiani did not send his nose into his brain, then nothing will.

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 11:17am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just watched "a History of Violence" where Viggio Mortenstein kills some sap with- repeated blows with the heal of the hand to the nose. Get ready for a whole new generation of believers- afer all, it was in the movies, so it must be true!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 11:25am

Style: FMA & judo-ultra noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 11:36am

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DevonHartigan
    The fact that nobody has refuted the evidence in this thread, must mean that the evidence has been persuasive enough to bust the myth in the minds of the people still believing in it. I'm kind of surprised that no one has presented some freakscanario where it would work, and actually believed it and meant it. Looks like this will be a short thread after all.

Quote Originally Posted by DevonHartigan
    Btw does anyone have some ideas as to how to tell the difference between irony and idiocy? I think I might be enviromentally damaged after encountering countless of morones on the internet(especially in the youtube commentary sections), so that I can no longer tell whether people are being ironic or just plain stupid. I have however learned that people on this forum definitely are the ironic kind:thumbsup:
    - See this will take some time to hash out here. The vast majority of posters balance their posting style between covert humour and outright hostility. You get people like Red Elvis and Askari that will just nail you to the wall but in a loving way. Then you'll get posters like myself, Der and Doc X who will give you just enough rope to hang yourself and then point and laugh. If you're lucky you will never run into Omega on a bad day as you'll most likely spend the rest of the afternoon digging the size 13D out of your ass!

Hope this helps.

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 2:39pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2 Things,

I was taught in Marine boot camp back in 1971 that you could not kill someone doing this, but there was a good chance he would wish he was dead and

Some one should send this to myth busters, I'll bet they could do a pretty good show on it.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast