Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 7:33pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    What would've been easier is just posting a picture of a human skull, pointing out that

1.) there is no "nose bone"
    Sorry but, yes there is. There are two of them actually, very well articulated so most people consider them just one. The thing is that it is not like a spear in the middle of your nose that you can push into your brain with a strike, instead, it looks more like a house roof. Now, try to imagine pushing a house roof into anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    2.) even if there were, your brain is entirely encased in your cranium, one of the hardest bones in the body.
    The skull is more than just one bone, but you are right, as whole is pretty damn hard. Although one of its weak points (weak compared to other parts of the skull) is precisely above the the nasal bone, where the frontal sinus is located (just an air space). Still, imagine pushing a house roof against anything, and even if you could, the nasal bone is barely larger than the frontal bone thickness at the place where it is located.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 7:42pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Further to this, and its been a while so forgive me, doesn't the Nasal Bone require a direct strike (perpendicular to the face) to break? I seem to remember that a glancing blow (see upward palm strike everyone keeps citing in this myth) would most likely cause soft tissue damage as opposed to fractures of the face.

Glancing blows to the face that result in breaks are usually breaks of the jaw (mandible) or orbital bones.

Then again its been a while so I might be off a little.

TKD

I figured everyone else was posting pics....
    Last edited by TKD Black Belt; 12/03/2006 7:45pm at .

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 7:57pm

Style: BJJ (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have heard it theorized that if the nose was first broken, then hit, it would kill them. However, personally, although an interesting theory, I severely doubt it.

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 8:13pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gr81disp
    I have heard it theorized that if the nose was first broken, then hit, it would kill them. However, personally, although an interesting theory, I severely doubt it.
    Exactly, the myth as I have heard it requires first a downwards blow to break the nose, then an upwards blow to drive the bone into the brain.

It sounded like bullshit the first time heard it, and still does now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 8:50pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    Further to this, and its been a while so forgive me, doesn't the Nasal Bone require a direct strike (perpendicular to the face) to break? I seem to remember that a glancing blow (see upward palm strike everyone keeps citing in this myth) would most likely cause soft tissue damage as opposed to fractures of the face.

Glancing blows to the face that result in breaks are usually breaks of the jaw (mandible) or orbital bones.

Then again its been a while so I might be off a little.

TKD
    Perpendicular to the lateral surface of the nose would probably be more appropriate. In this way you could (provided enough force), get a nice bilateral nasal bone fracture with septum (the bones that say "ethmoid" and "vomer" in the 2nd picture) fracture and dislocation, all in one really cool combo, just like the pic you posted.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 8:54pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Uber Geek Moment

Uber Geek Batman moment as a time out.
    in Legends of The Dark Knight #62, Bruce Wayne identifies the Leopard Blow more specifically as a move in which one uses the heel of the palm to drive the "nasal bones" into the brain (this ability is a common urban legend in the martial arts). In the Richard Dragon miniseries, however, the Leopard Blow is clearly depicted, both in the art and narration, as a maneuver wherein one first draws the hand back and above the head, and then thrusts it forward with the fingers straightened, driving them through the skull and brain. Both Batman and Richard Dragon have learned the Leopard Blow from Shiva, but choose not to use it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Shiva
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 9:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Either way, it's not like the septum is a free-floating chunk of bone that can 'spear' through to the brain. That's similar to saying you could kick someone in the ass hard enough to break off their coccyx (tailbone) and jam it into their liver...

I am sure if it was hit hard enough (Say with a sledghammer or an automobile) it could break in such a way as to kill someone.
    With that in mind, I don't think it was the nose bone penetrating this kid's brain that killed him...
    http://www.videovat.com/videos/315/car-crash.aspx

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 9:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do & JuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know for a fact this is an actual technique. It is unquestionably possible. As proof, you can see it done by Bruce Willis the "Last Boy Scout" movie.

In fact, I'm sure that any martial artist should be able to perform this technique with the speed, trajectory and accuracy that would be needed to make this a realistic technique with nothing more than a little practice. Yes, it is a very precise maneuver, but any martial artist who has reached the level of zen that I have sees the rest of the world as if it is in slow motion. This is similar to how Neo can dodge bullets, which until that movie was thought to be impossible.

That is why I have created a training dummy, which I will be selling for $29.95. Watch for them soon in all your lethal death technique magazines and gift stores. Here is a preview:

Thank you and may the tiger strike protect you.

Cya

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 10:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :qright5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9u8fXaE-tk

Evidence on film that you guys are full of ****.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 10:49pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah the lazy fekker just knew when it was time to have a nap.

...bearing in mind that offered the same evidential value to the effectiveness of the aikido technique seen in the film... Bruce Willis is such a bad-ass he should fight in UFC with that kind of uber seagal ability.

...I couldn't make out his Magic Pants though, quite disappointing really
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast