Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 5:58pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lethal-blow-to-the-nosebone myth

Well I just once and for all wanted to get rid of the lethal-blow-to-the-nosebone myth, after seeing that people actually still believe this to be true, in the "Help me end this f@$king argument about 'deadly' vital point striking" -thread. And I'm only talking about the myth that, a blow to the nosebone can cause the nosebone to break loose and rocket up into your brain, because any blow to the head might be lethal under specific circumstances.
    This thread's objective is only to enlighten those of you that believe everything they see on tv(i.e. those of you that probably has seen "The Last Boyscout" one time to many - and don't get me wrong, Bruce Willis rocks!). The rest of you can pat yourself on the head.

Some of you might say; "Dude, I've heard of this bloke who got kicked in the nose who freaking died because his nosebone got jammed up into his brain!". Well, then I'll say; "Get real retard! It was the blow to the head that killed him, and not the nosebone that got shoved up into his brain part!".
    You can of course die if you stick something long, sharp, and pointy up your nose, because there is a very thin plate that seperates the brain from the nose, but then I would just suggest that you'd stop playing with your chopsticks. Anyhow...

Here is probably the best article on the subject I could find after 5 min of googeling: http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=511
    (If you feel that the source or article is untrustworthy or any anything like that, then do some research of your own bitch!)

P.S. I hope this post isn't too aggresive for a firsttimer noobie-thread.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 6:17pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I totally disagree I mean one blow to the nose * Franklin vs Silva * could cause instant * Silva vs Jackson * death. I mean the sheer force of a knee to the head * Silva vs Sakaraba * wherein it would connect with the head * Shamrock vs Kimo * in and on the nose would cause * Yamamoto vs Miyata * damage so significant that if death was not the immediate result * Wanderlei vs Anyone * it would occur shortly thereafter!

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What would've been easier is just posting a picture of a human skull, pointing out that

1.) there is no "nose bone"

and

2.) even if there were, your brain is entirely encased in your cranium, one of the hardest bones in the body.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 6:22pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Voila

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 6:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    I totally disagree I mean one blow to the nose * Franklin vs Silva * could cause instant * Silva vs Jackson * death. I mean the sheer force of a knee to the head * Silva vs Sakaraba * wherein it would connect with the head * Shamrock vs Kimo * in and on the nose would cause * Yamamoto vs Miyata * damage so significant that if death was not the immediate result * Wanderlei vs Anyone * it would occur shortly thereafter!

TKD
    OMG Lol. I hope you are being ironic and me just not picking up on it! Did you even bother to read the whole thing. I totally agree that a blow to the nose can kill, but it wouldn't be because of the blow to nose, it would be because of the nose being a part of your head and thereby a blow to your head. I'm contesting the part of the nosebone getting shoved up into your brain part.

To Kidspatula, yeah I actually thought of doing that, but I thought it was going overkill on the thread.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 6:31pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Devon,

Just to bring you in on the irony, everyone that TKD BB listed lived through the experience.

There is a "Nasal Bone" though, and I am sure if it was hit hard enough (Say with a sledghammer or an automobile) it could break in such a way as to kill someone. However the palm strike at a certain angle version? If there was a pre-existing condition perhaps.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 6:33pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DevonHartigan
    OMG Lol. I hope you are being ironic and me just not picking up on it! Did you even bother to read the whole thing. I totally agree that a blow to the nose can kill, but it wouldn't be because of the blow to nose, it would be because of the nose being a part of your head and thereby a blow to your head. I'm contesting the part of the nosebone getting shoved up into your brain part.

To Kidspatula, yeah I actually thought of doing that, but I thought it was going overkill on the thread.
    I've just had this argument with a few people (note: Few = Far to many to remember) and I just happen to have these and multiple other examples off the top of my head to point out what a flawed statement this is. You can also look to hockey as an additional source of examples. Think how many goalies would have been killed (prior to masks by the way) or guys who play without face shields? Look at early football or even look to English PL football. Way too many examples exist to debunk the living death (reference back to Kenny) out of this argument.

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 6:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Devon,

Just to bring you in on the irony, everyone that TKD BB listed lived through the experience.
    Geez I'm so incredibly slow, looks like I really wasn't picking up on the irony. Nice way of proving your point TKD BB.:headbang:

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 6:45pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Considering the brain sits within the cranial cavity which is essentially a shelf, I doubt the nasal bone would be capable of penetrating the cavity, itís a myth and a dumb fucking one at that

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 7:19pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lets assume, for the sake of contradiction, that the nose bone could be broken to a point where it could protrude into the brain. Would that cause death? Look at the case of Phineas Gage, who had a 1.25 inch diameter iron pole shot through the front of his brain and survived. Therefore a tiny bone invading the same region of the brain is not going to cause the necessary trauma to instantly kill you.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast