C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 8:07am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    Since owning one turns your into a complete dork, I'd say buy a heavybag instead. Note that the bag only counts if hung from a moving chain and not made out of a duct-taped corpse.
    Since you wouldn't know what owning a wooden dummy does to a person hadn't you tried, and since you'd never talk out of your ass instead out of experience, I guess that makes you a complete dork too.
    Have a nice day,
    Tonuzaba

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 8:17am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kgubbins
    does anyone here use a wooden dummy for either wing chun or any other style for training? i dont' have much exerience with it and was wondering if it's worth having...
    Are you going to open a thread on every single piece of martial art accessory you find on the Net? Sorry, but a wooden dummy is of interest to people who practise styles that utilize dummy-training. If you'd practise such a style, you could ask your instructor if you need to own one instead of using the one at the gym. If you train another style(s), only buy a wooden dummy if you got LOTS of spare money, space and neighbors who aren't going to be disturbed by the noises the wood makes when trained on properly...
    Now to all the loudmouths crying about heavy bags: the possibility of owning both the dummy and the bag obviously did not appear to you...
    Buying punching bags is certainly less expensive and you can use them without extensive special training, which is not the case with the wooden dummy. Even if you'd get one, you wouldn't make much use of it without knwoing what techniques and how to practise on it.
    So, next time, think before posting questions like these.
    It's like asking if one should buy a Formula1 racing car, despite not being a Formula1 driver nor planning to become one...
    Tonuzaba

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 10:20am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba
    Since you wouldn't know what owning a wooden dummy does to a person hadn't you tried, and since you'd never talk out of your ass instead out of experience, I guess that makes you a complete dork too.
    Have a nice day,
    Tonuzaba
    I submit this to the original poster as proof that people who own wooden dummies are simply not smart enough to hit something that moves.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 12:30pm

Style: Muay Thai/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're using the dummy just for practicing the wing chun wooden dummy form or drilling individual techniques, just use the one at the gym.

I don't really see a reason to get a wooden dummy for yourself unless you're really desperate to spar and haven't been able to find a sparring partner or if you plan to train with it more often than you have time to go to the gym for whatever reason.

I honestly don't think I've learned much from using the dummy that I couldn't have learned via other means.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 12:36pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *looks at DarkXacreD style field*

OMG, I'm sorry.

Hey southpaw, you are wrong unfortunately. There are other styles that use a wooden dummy they just don't advertise the fact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 12:45pm

Style: Muay Thai/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    *looks at DarkXacreD style field*

OMG, I'm sorry.
    um...what?

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    There are other styles that use a wooden dummy they just don't advertise the fact.
    I'd still take sparring (or drilling with another person) over training with the dummy.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 12:50pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXacreD
    I'd still take sparring (or drilling with another person) over training with the dummy.
    You do two of the most insulted styles on this board.

If you look at the quote you edited I was responding to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw
    Unless you are training wing chun, I wouldn't consider a dummy.
    Notice you took out the name "southpaw." Wasn't speaking on sparring or drills. Was informing southpaw that, unfortunately, other styles like the wooden dummy.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 1:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw
    Legend has it that Yip Man only taught the actually applications of the dummy to about 5 people or so. I'm not sure how true that it, Tom Kagan would be a good one to ask.

I'm not exactly sure how I managed to gain a reputation as some sort of expert on the 'nun-who-must-not-be-named' style's politics. Most of what I say is conjecture based on simple observations and insight. In this case, the whole idea of someone who says 'only me/select few' has never been able to pass my sniff test which can tell me whether they are full of ****.

But for the sake of argument, suppose it really was 'only 5'. The secret is out! Everyone of their classmates who got close to those people would then know it also. Unless what was learned was ****, there is no way someone could be taught something but still manage to keep whatever it was a secret. They had to practice it. And if they practiced it, that means every one of their training partners became aware of it, too.

Regardless, it doesn't take a super-intellect to figure out what to do with a dummy if that person already has the requisite experience with their training partners. Whatever a practitioner brings to a dummy is what they get out of it. While I suppose it is possible someone could learn a lot from working with a dummy, it is impossible for a dummy to teach anything. It's just a dummy.

In light of the above, I've always felt the 'only 5' to me, is someone trumpeting misplaced ego. I dare you to try and get anyone saying 'only 5' to name the other 4. Regardless, either they/their sifu/lineage is always one of the five.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 2:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is It Fake: I do know there are other styles that use a dummy...I just can't speak to them b/c I don't know jack about them. Admittedly, my comment was a bit confusing.

Tom Kagan: Your reputation is well-earned b/c you have a lot of wing chun experiences w/ some very well-known WC people.

I do agree w/ your comments...I believe Duncan Leung actually mentions in his book that he is one of the few who actually learned how to apply the dummy...but I'll check that. I do know that as a person who trains in a kwoon under his lineage, it is a word-of-mouth 'fact'. No surpise there I guess.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 3:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd buy it for novelty.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast