Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 1:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

wing chun wooden dummy

does anyone here use a wooden dummy for either wing chun or any other style for training? i dont' have much exerience with it and was wondering if it's worth having...

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 1:12am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since owning one turns your into a complete dork, I'd say buy a heavybag instead. Note that the bag only counts if hung from a moving chain and not made out of a duct-taped corpse.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 1:20am

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, and make sure it's made out of canvas or sand instead of human screams and the tears of small children.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 1:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    Since owning one turns your into a complete dork, I'd say buy a heavybag instead. Note that the bag only counts if hung from a moving chain and not made out of a duct-taped corpse.
    lol nice.....yeah i was also thinking of getting a heavy bag.....what style(s) do you practice?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 1:45am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    those wooden dummy things are useless and gurantee you to never get laid. get a heavy bag.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 2:00am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    plus they seem to cost a fucking fortune.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 3:46am

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.woodendummy.com/prices.html

Three. Hundred. Dollars. Shipping.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 4:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jesus you can get a paralyzed man for cheaper than that, and you can position him however you want.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 6:53am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a couple in my gym but they're rarely used.

Supposed to help with sensitivity training, which can't be a bad thing if it actually works. Also conditions the arms too and builds up strength/muscle endurance that you can't get from weight training.

I did a BJJ/Kali seminar with Rick Young a while back and at the end we just did about 15 minutes of Chi Sao or whatever it's called from Wing Chun. I didn't find it useful specifically for my training but damn, it does hurt your shoulders and arms after 10 constant minutes!

If it does condition the arms well then i might learn some of the sets. Would surely be of some use when it comes to using the arms to block high kicks/knees etc?

But in reference to your first question, i wouldn't bother wasting the money on one myself.
    Last edited by spirez; 12/03/2006 6:56am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 7:53am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless you are training wing chun, I wouldn't consider a dummy.

If you are training wing chun, I would suggest that you spend your time on a heavy bag for a considerable length of time before starting to work on the dummy.

In wing chun, the dummy is not really used for sensitivity, or arm conditioning (though arm conditioning can sometimes be a secondary benefity). It is used to train proper technique, footwork, and transitions (at least that is what I was taught).

For most wing chun people the dummy is just another empty form (IMO). Without the applications ("decontructing the dummy"), it is useless. Legend has it that Yip Man only taught the actually applications of the dummy to about 5 people or so. I'm not sure how true that it, Tom Kagan would be a good one to ask.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast