Our Sponsors:

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 3:48am

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, Rubber Tanto. I will do my damndest to be polite and respectful. I've been trying the whole time.

I'm thinking that if I had agreed to spar, or fight, but then asked to do it at a later date, it would've been seen as still backing out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 8:05am

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why do you care that someone would think you backed out? If it was giving you the heeby jeeby's at the time, it was right to decline. Like I pointed out earlier, none of us were there. We don't know what the "feeling" in the room was when you got the invite. You made the right decision for yourself at the time.

IF you are going to invite him and his students, be polite. Make sure that you let him know you are extending the invitation as a friend. Make sure that is why you are extending the invitation. Make sure that the other participants of the TD know that it is a FRIENDLY get together and not a chance to "own" a ninja. That could ultimately cause problems for everyone involved. Also, be prepared for him to decline the invitation. It doesn't mean he is afraid. It may simply mean that as an adult, like most of us, he has other priorities (family, work, chores, etc.). I mean let's be honest, I would much rather spend the weekend in bed with my wife than hanging out with a bunch of sweaty guys. Any wife jokes and I'm sicking Pl4zm4 on you fuckers. :)

And I will second what Daniel was saying. It is funny that the general party line on here is all ninja are LARP'rs and useless, but you were right in backing down from a sparring match. It's not really a poke at you, dude. It's a poke at the usual suspects wringing their hands saying, " ooooh, good move to back out, he may have turned it into a real fight and hurt you". I guess Ninja's get one point for intimidation. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 1:15pm

Style: Bujinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad credit
    Dweidman, are you still in the booj? Are you still doing BBT?
    Yes and Yes.

What are your views on street vs. sport?
    I think only idiots assume that someone who trains for the ring can't make the switch to the street as soon as things change.

You seem to agree with alive training, yet you don't think I should sparred the guy either? Why?
    I doubt it was dangerous -- but I wasn't there. I also doubt it would have been a numbers game. But who knows.

I agree that you shouldn't have done it -- only because that was your gut instinct.

From what I can get you were more pissed about all the other guy's on here saying that BBT was weak, but then saying that they shouldn't've threatened me and that I was in over my head. I can see what you're saying, it is like trying to eat your cake and have it, too.
    Yep Yep.

What do you think I should've done? Worded the question different or not have asked it at all? Just sparred the guy? What do I do now about inviting them to the TD? Don't do it? Word it very carefully?
    Public exchanges are poor form for risky topics. You knew before you asked that it was a "touchy" subject. If you were really interested in throwing some leather with him -- a private discussion with an explanation would have been the best route.

For what it is worth -- when I am sitting with a bunch of my friends -- and someone asks me to spar because all the "other" arts do it -- I get the impression that he wants to make a point about the uselessness of my training. I would not assume it was friendly. Almost like you want all of my friends see me get stomped. So... just another perspective.

I haven't turned down a good request for the past 5 years as long as someone approached me the right way.

I keep 2 sets of MMA gloves and headgear in my car.

Just as a side point -- why are you bent on getting them to the next TD? Most "ninja" types don't like MMA style training... It doesn't sound like he wanted to do much sparring before -- so why would he want to go to a TD? According to your description -- he doesn't need much "alive" training -- if you were worried about him killing you. Or am I reading that wrong?

Anyway.

-DW

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 3:27pm

Style: Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I said I'd be disgusted from contacting the again because the behavior that was described came off to me ass assholish. Granted I was'nt there, but I don't like assholes. BBT or not.

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 7:15pm

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dweidman
    I think only idiots assume that someone who trains for the ring can't make the switch to the street as soon as things change.

Sigged for its conciseness and the fact that it comes from a Boojer.
    I think only idiots assume that someone who trains for the ring can't make the switch to the street as soon as things change. - dweidman

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 7:58pm

Style: Bujinkan, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bet those other guys in the room were all secretly hoping you and the SF guy would spar.
    Maybe then then they would be able to actually see what it looked like, and hell.....if it didnt look so bad maybe they would finally be able to try it. I think there is a misconception in the BJK that sparring is really hard to do, or always a really brutal hardcore thing . IMO most people dont know how to start sparring in a progressive way.

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 12:01pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, let me say one more time, I DID NOT ASK HIM TO SPAR. I said to the whole room that I had heard from ninjas and outsiders that there wasn't sparring, or "randori" in Budo Taijutsu, but that I had experienced training that I felt was "alive." I told them I was confused, and asked if there was sparring or randori or not. I then got challenged, and I DID NOT BACK DOWN, I told him it depended on his definition of sparring. I never got an answer. Oh, there was a lot of verbal Ninjutsu, but no answer. That instructor told me at the beginning of training that if I didn't quit crosstraining with others and call myself a Taijutsuka he wasn't going to show me certain things. While that sucks, it was MY damn stupid ass who hung around for a year.

But, as much as I hate to admit it, Dweidman's right, it was a touchy subject and I should've have just not said anything, or done it more privately.

He's also right in saying that ninjas don't like MMA sparring, and me inviting them will get me nowhere.

I'll admit it's probably just my subconscious desire to save face. But then again it's not like I have a reputation to protect, so **** it.

I'll have to see about getting the guy's and gal's at the TD to maybe go at it with Dogbrother rules, only with wiffle ball bats or something instead of sticks. Wiffle ball bats sound too safe? Heh, I blinded a friend for a week by accidentally hitting him in the eye. Hmmm... gotta buy goggles...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 10:10pm

Style: Bujutsu / Muay Thai / MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

But, as much as I hate to admit it, Dweidman's right, it was a touchy subject and I should've have just not said anything, or done it more privately.

He's also right in saying that ninjas don't like MMA sparring, and me inviting them will get me nowhere.

Well not all BJK people are against MMA rules or throwdowns. I like them, and at the next TD, two fellow students from my dojo plan to come along too.

Just ask him.
    Nothing to lose, Nothing to gain, I say.

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 12:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got some konigun ninjitsu guys there too.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011