Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 4:44pm

Style: ex-Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

DHEA supplement

Does anyone have any experience with the DHEA supplement? I am thinking about tyring it, but wanted some imput before hand. Obviously I would like some opinions as to its effectiveness, but I'm mainly concerned about the side effects. I'm hesitant to take any supplements beyond whey protein and creatine. I've been weight training for approximately 1.5 years but recently gained a good bit of fat due to a fractured foot bone and medication which eggaxerates weight gain. My main goal is weight loss closely followed by gaining muscle mass.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 11:48pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Scrapper is taking it, currently.

Did you do search function, n00b? For DHEA?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 11:58pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The MAYO Clinic says no. Just saw it in a book yesterday.

Although relatively little is known about it. However, documentation about the side-effects seems to have a lead over evidence of any effectiveness.

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 1:39am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    didnt you get the memo? It causes testicular cancer. Keep your boys safe, dog.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 5:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jubei33
    didnt you get the memo? It causes testicular cancer. Keep your boys safe, dog.
    No I didn't get the memo. Thanks for telling me. Like I said, I haven't really fooled with supplements very much.

And yes I did use the search function. The "Steriods in MMA" thread dealt mainly with 4-AD and contained only brief references to DHEA, though I suppose I should have included this in that thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 5:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    The MAYO Clinic says no. Just saw it in a book yesterday.

Although relatively little is known about it. However, documentation about the side-effects seems to have a lead over evidence of any effectiveness.

When was that book dated? The main reason I was considering taking it was the info I found on the Mayo Clinics website. Check out

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dhe...D9A5EE24ECC1DD

According to the article, DHEA does indeed fail to produce the extremely wide range of positive benefits being touted, but a few things like obesity and depression it may actually help.

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 9:12am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jokes aside, they were touting it for obesity on some show here in japan this morning. In it several people joined a non-scientific study to show the supposed effect on weight loss. All ten people ate two packs of natto for breakfast for a month and supposedly lost about 1-2 kg each. The thing that makes me skeptical is that not once did they say what thier eating habits were before the diet. Beyond that beans are fairly healthy for you in general, so its not too much of a leap to say that it might not have been the magic chemical.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 9:36am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The book was fairly recent, but I assume that they're updating the site regularly.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 10:33am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been on it for about a week now. Nothign to report, really.

My best friend is a clinical and research pharmacist, and his take is that it has some properties that can help create an environment conducive to the production of testosterone. The bodybuilding sites would have you believe it is this awesome steroid-like substance that will make you huge just by thinking happy thoughts.

Current research (per my friend) indicates that therapeutic doses of DHEA are almost side-effect free. I am on 150 mg a day, and have had no side effects. Most bodybuilder types take 2 or 3 times that much...so I can't vouch for them. They would argue that I am not taking enough to really benefit; but for ****'s sake...baby steps!
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    My best friend is a clinical and research pharmacist
    That owns my google-fu. I'd love to hear any other supplement opinions he's tossed around.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast