Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 7:56pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Some interesting half guard techniques

Out of pure chance, I recently stumbled on what I thought were some interesting half-guard techniques that apply to a position I've been working on lately, namely what pretty much looks like an x-guard (as I understand it, I honestly don't know much about it since I don't train with anyone who uses it) except you wrap your legs around your opponents leg instead of forming an X.

Here are the links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlFwf...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOiFB...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHFDe...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN6yB...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY9R3...elated&search=

Anyway, this stuff fits perfectly into how my half guard game has been developing. What I'd like to know is if anyone on here has any tips on an instructional that covers this aspect of half guard, or BJJ-players that use this kind of half guard extensively.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    12/02/2006 2:49am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martin uses some of these with much success. Since he is currently the person I'm trying to emulate I've been asking him a little about them. He says an important key is never waiting for your opponent but constantly be on him by pulling and shoving in various directions. For the initial movement you must get very deep under him (get him high on top of you). For this there must be no hesitation whatsoever in your pull and some offbalancing is required.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2006 3:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow, great find there. I use (not very well yet but getting there) two different sweeps using the initial set-up shown by securing the arm underhook on the inside leg side then scooting down to control the hips and inside leg.

Lately, when rolling with my instructor, I am able to defend those sweep attempts when he tries them but he always switches into pulling X-Guard on me and splitting my base or actually pulling one of the half-guard sweeps shown in the vids. Great stuff.

I asked him to walk me through what he was doing last week and it is really fucking slick, though it is honestly a little beyond me right now. Too many other baseline techs to work on before trying to add these to my arsenal.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 8:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wicked, but so damn complex ....

Here is a link to a good series that is the same type of game.

http://www.mmalibrary.com/tech_display.asp?id=183

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 1:20am

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, they are simpler than they might appear. I am an avid half guard player though and have ended up in this position quite a bit so it might just come naturally to me, but I pulled off the first technique last time I was at the gym, with only having drilled it once.

EDIT: yes, that technique series is also very good, and two of those sweeps are the bread and butter of one of my instructors half guard games. Drill them a few times and you will see that they are simpler than they appear. Much simpler than a lot of the fancy guards people use.
    Last edited by PoleFighter; 12/05/2006 1:23am at .
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 9:08pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok...I have a looooong way to go!

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 2:07pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those look pretty sweet. One question though, for anyone of you has played with these.

As he makes the initial adjustment, might the guy on top just pin the guy's head with his hand, then plant his knee on the guy's head/neck? This seems like it would be a quick adjustment, and could really throw a monkey wrench in the sweep.

Any time a guy is getting shifty on me, especially if it looks like he's going to bridge, I tend to try smashing hit head to the mat. I was just wondering if anyone had tried that as a counter. (Not able to try it myself right now, due to knee injury.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 1:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get caught in half guard a lot too, just b/c I'm much less experienced than the other whites and I only manage to grab one leg a lot of the time while they are passing. It might do some good for me to look these over, though they might be too advanced...

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 2:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Those look pretty sweet. One question though, for anyone of you has played with these.

As he makes the initial adjustment, might the guy on top just pin the guy's head with his hand, then plant his knee on the guy's head/neck? This seems like it would be a quick adjustment, and could really throw a monkey wrench in the sweep.

Any time a guy is getting shifty on me, especially if it looks like he's going to bridge, I tend to try smashing hit head to the mat. I was just wondering if anyone had tried that as a counter. (Not able to try it myself right now, due to knee injury.)
    The short answer is no. Basically the guy on top has a pretty precarious balance to begin with because you can control the leg near your head somewhat. Additionally, you're moving your hips underneath him so that it doesn't matter what he does with your face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 2:06pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samfoo
    Additionally, you're moving your hips underneath him so that it doesn't matter what he does with your face.
    Unless he is an inconsiderate, cross facing, ************, douchbag...and you DO NOT want to be that guy.