OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 7:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    But the lockdown is so great for tapping noobs.
    Noobs nothing. I can tap purples and MMA fighters with it. I like to underhook their free leg without binding their arms and try to sweep them. Obviously I won't succeed; they'll just post out, which is fine because I'll swing under them, maintaining the Lockdown, and continue applying pressure from the back. No one's ever done this to me, but given how many otherwise tough opponents I've tapped with this, the ankle pressure must be phenomenal.

(yes, that's me being technical, folks)
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 7:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    OD, STFU. At this point you're crappling. Now, I was a pretty determined crappler, but damn, to do so after two months of BJJ? WTF is going on over there? Your coach hasn't strangled that out of you yet? FIND A NEW SCHOOL.
    I think I've actually cut down my crappling a lot. FWIW I don't try to go for any submissions any more, not even the humerous collar choke attempts when I am mounted; I try to work mainly on escapes. However, I must confess that it wasn't until this week that I was told 1) about the mysteries of the "Gracie Gift" and why I keep getting triangled while trying to pass and 2) that is is useless to lay and pray in guard since I'm never going to pass that way, I need to posture up (in my defense I was just laying and praying when facing strong practice partners who kept breaking my posture).

(Uh, actually I'm in my 5th month now.... tempis fugit.)
    Last edited by OldDog53; 12/01/2006 7:09pm at . Reason: Add the last line.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OldDog:

Learning how to regain full guard from half is the sort of fundamental movement you should not be learning from the Internet. It's a very basic elbow escape variant you should ask your instructor about the next time you're in class. Remember in your journal, how I told you to take a mental inventory of whether or not you knew an escape for every position? You do not know how to escape half guard to full guard, so next time you're in class, bring it up.

This is true, but I'm pretty good with lockdown. I stalled someone out for the full six minutes during a roll once. On the other hand that's pretty frustrating.
    This is the worst thing you can do. Stalling is easy and unproductive, regardless of your skill level. If you're trying for something and it doesn't work, switch to something else. Jiu-Jitsu isn't a dogfight.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 7:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanen
    My guess is that by the time you realize you're playing half-guard, your opponent has already gotten the underhook, crossface, and flattened you out. And, yes, they probably will pass your guard at that point. Invest your efforts in getting good posture right away.
    1) Get on your side and tucked in.
    2) Get your underhook.
    3) Block the crossface.

If you can do that reliably, you open up a lot of options for yourself.
    Xanen, what do you think of this? Aesopian published the link on his blog this morning, I only just looked at it:

http://www.mmalibrary.com/tech_display.asp?id=55

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 7:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    OldDog:

Learning how to regain full guard from half is the sort of fundamental movement you should not be learning from the Internet. It's a very basic elbow escape variant you should ask your instructor about the next time you're in class. Remember in your journal, how I told you to take a mental inventory of whether or not you knew an escape for every position? You do not know how to escape half guard to full guard, so next time you're in class, bring it up.

This is the worst thing you can do. Stalling is easy and unproductive, regardless of your skill level. If you're trying for something and it doesn't work, switch to something else. Jiu-Jitsu isn't a dogfight.
    Thanks Boyd, will do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 7:19pm

Style: BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDog53
    Thanks Xanen. Some actual pointers help a lot.

If I have my right leg between my practice partner's legs, I assume I turn to my right side.
    Yes, be on your right hip.

Tucked in means head to their belt, tight, to avoid a headlock?
    Yes, tucked in towards them. If they try to headlock you, it's a christmas present: They just gave you their back. You tuck in to make yourself more like a ball so they can't crossface and flatten you out. Plus, a lot of sweeps require you to get underneath your opponent.

Underhook across their back?
    Yes. How high or low depends on what you want to do next. For starters, just get it high under their armpit and reach across to their far lat. This is a good way to start taking the back.

If I can do #1 and #2, is there any need to watch out for #3 - it sounds like I should have avoided an over/under Gable grip by then....
    Yes, you still need to watch out for the crossface. They can use it to put you flat on your back even if you have the underhook.

This should be enough "survival mode" information until your instructor teaches you some half-guard work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 7:22pm

Style: BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDog53
    Xanen, what do you think of this? Aesopian published the link on his blog this morning, I only just looked at it:

http://www.mmalibrary.com/tech_display.asp?id=55
    Yeah, that's pretty much the idea.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 9:16pm

Style: BJJ boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    funny, I've tapped to lockdown. of course it was put on by a Bravo brown belt, so not much shame. I was taught when you get lockdown, you can then "stomp the foot" ,get hook in and go to the "cocoon"(butterfly w/ over/under) then sweep.

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 10:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    about the mysteries of the "Gracie Gift"
    Dear lord! After six months, you're still doing the Gracie Gift!?!?!?

Do these instead.

1. Under/Over Hook and Stack.

2. Posture up, one hand controls their hips while the other pushes down on one knee. From there, Knee in and take Side Control.

3. Posture of, Stand, and Shake.

4. Can Opener

This isn't meant to be a poorly worded tutorial, but brief descriptions to help you remember techniques that a one week White Belt should have been taught. These are bread and butter techniques that all ranks use to good effect, and few of them have the stigma of the "Gracie Gift"...which works if you're as cool as the Gracies.

If you haven't been taught these yet (GASP), then ask a Blue Belt or higher to show you these at your next open map. It'll take two minutes, and you'll be better off attempting any of those than the Gracie Gift...at least as a new white belt.

Posted On:
    1/31/2007 8:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just going back the half guard vid, I notice he says about ten minutes in that you should always use the crossface pass rather than any other. I learnt another pass where you put the arm that would be crossfacing with your elbow by their neck so that you are almost diagonal across them and your weight is based on the side. I still swap the two passes around when sparring, but find I am better at the non-crossface pass.

What are people's views on this? What is the advantage of one over the other?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast