Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,501
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Great half guard tips

    An Icelandic jiu-jitsuero I know put together a tutorial on several aspects of his half guard that I found very helpful. He was generous enough to let me share it on my site:

    http://www.aesopian.com/86/a-part-of...lf-guard-game/

    This kind of material is really valuable since I've never seen it well covered online before. It's these kind of moves, where you're just getting rid of the crossface and underhooking, or going to half butterfly, that are what you need before you can do anything else with the half guard.

    I tried out his version of the lockdown last night and liked it. I was worried that without a real figure-four, it would be too loose, but I actually liked having the control of being able to step on the back of the calf.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    San Carlos
    Posts
    253
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let us know how the "unlocked" Lockdown works.

    Have you ever had someone forecefully straighten/move their trapped leg to "shake off" Lockdown?

    I'm still not sure what my practice partner did, and haven't had a chance to follow up with him, but he did something that felt brutal and started to pop off my knee cap - some counter he came up with for the Lockdown. He apologized that his counter was effective but could lead to injuries and cautioned me on my use of Lockdown for that reason.... Point is, I wondering if the "unlocked Lockdown" would still be effective, while avoiding the dangers of the counter that was thrown at me?

    BTW Lockdown doesn't seem to be on the forbidden list at my academy, I've had it thrown at me too, albeit not by fellow newbies, so I figure it's fair game to use, it's pretty simple to apply once you get the hang of it.

  3. #3
    OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville supporting member
    Boyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Cwcville
    Posts
    5,382
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your instructor has formally taught the Lockdown in a class, then I can't say it's a blacklisted technique. However, I can strongly advise that whenever you land in half guard, you focus on regaining full guard or taking the back rather than trying to sweep, submit, or work the Lockdown. At the stage you're in, drilling horizontal (reguarding) and vertical (taking the back) hip movement is far, FAR more important than drilling the Lockdown.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

    1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

    2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

    3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

    REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

  4. #4
    Phrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1998
    Location
    Cow Town
    Posts
    19,137
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But the lockdown is so great for tapping noobs.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    San Carlos
    Posts
    253
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    If your instructor has formally taught the Lockdown in a class, then I can't say it's a blacklisted technique. However, I can strongly advise that whenever you land in half guard, you focus on regaining full guard or taking the back rather than trying to sweep, submit, or work the Lockdown. At the stage you're in, drilling horizontal (reguarding) and vertical (taking the back) hip movement is far, FAR more important than drilling the Lockdown.
    How do you retake guard? I usually end up in halfguard because I wasn't able to get both legs around them in the first place (I'll accept "work on getting both legs around them in the first place HARDER" as a suitable answer, if you think that's what I should try to do). The minute I release the Lockdown to try to retake guard while on my back, they finish the pass and I'm dead.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    San Carlos
    Posts
    253
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    So basically, besides LD, you have no half guard? LOL
    This is true, but I'm pretty good with lockdown. I stalled someone out for the full six minutes during a roll once. On the other hand that's pretty frustrating.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,501
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, that's pretty pointless. Let go of lockdown and actually develop your hip movement.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    58
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDog53
    The minute I release the Lockdown to try to retake guard while on my back, they finish the pass and I'm dead.
    My guess is that by the time you realize you're playing half-guard, your opponent has already gotten the underhook, crossface, and flattened you out. And, yes, they probably will pass your guard at that point. Invest your efforts in getting good posture right away.
    1) Get on your side and tucked in.
    2) Get your underhook.
    3) Block the crossface.

    If you can do that reliably, you open up a lot of options for yourself.

  9. #9
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,220
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use the lockdown to prevent the pass when I'm crossfaced and/or underhooked. I always let go of it once I've got my grips back, because I find I can't move my hips properly to sweep while I've got it on. Anyone else find this, or is it just a symptom of my shitty hip movement?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    San Carlos
    Posts
    253
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanen
    My guess is that by the time you realize you're playing half-guard, your opponent has already gotten the underhook, crossface, and flattened you out. And, yes, they probably will pass your guard at that point. Invest your efforts in getting good posture right away.
    1) Get on your side and tucked in.
    2) Get your underhook.
    3) Block the crossface.

    If you can do that reliably, you open up a lot of options for yourself.
    Thanks Xanen. Some actual pointers help a lot.

    If I have my right leg between my practice partner's legs, I assume I turn to my right side.

    Tucked in means head to their belt, tight, to avoid a headlock?

    Underhook across their back?

    If I can do #1 and #2, is there any need to watch out for #3 - it sounds like I should have avoided an over/under Gable grip by then....

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO