Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2003 1:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was sparring with a guy who cross trains in kung fu and aikido. A few times when he got in close it went to the ground. Now I don't know if I was kicked in the knee during one of the matches, if I twisted it or just landed hard on it on the hardwood gym floor, but...I've got a bruise below the knee cap (no big deal) and discomfort walking on it coming the the side/back of my knee. It's not unbearable pain, but definitely uncomfortable.

My question...
    I don't even know when/how this happened. I just woke up the next day and felt it as soon as I started walking on it. If I did any real damage to my knee I would have felt it when it happen right? Like at some point during the match I would have felt some sharp pain. I didn't even notice it until the next day so I'm hoping it's just a sprain or bruise from landing on the hard floor. Too many people at my school have knee problems and I really don't want to be one of them.

Can someone with a knee injury offer a little input? If I did any perm damage to the knee I'd be in pain and probably not able to walk on it, right? It's not super painful, but it definitely doesn't feel quite right when I walk on it. I've been icing and taking ibuprofen.

Edited by - tkdist on July 29 2003 13:27:37

Taking a break

Posted On:
    7/29/2003 2:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to a doctor and have it checked out. You may need anti-inflammatories and a nice long break, or it may be nothing and you can train again tomorrow.
    Whatever it may be, find out lest you damage your knee permenantly.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    7/29/2003 3:56pm

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That happen to me alot. I usually get some kind of discomfort in my knee the day after Muay Thai training. If you damage your knee, you would defitintely feel it. I have sprained my knee ligament and I DEFITINTELY feel it the moment it happen. However I would suggest you go to doctor just to be safe but it is up to you.

It is a rat eat rat world.

"A magical place where I have a freakish large penis and I am also the king of the mushroom people." - by Omen Stone
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    7/29/2003 6:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I snapped my ACL in my right knee while playing basketball. I felt no pain, and no discomfort.
    I continued playing for a while, but subbed myself because my left felt a little strange.
    The next day it started to get stiff, the day after that it began to swell up - still no pain though.

The human body can do some bizarre things.
    My physio says 90% of the time injuries will heal themselves by resting and taking care of yourself.

It never hurts to get something checked out though.
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/29/2003 9:05pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have to agree, go to a docter. If its nothing, glocosomine, ice and ibuprofen

Official WTDude Badass Evil Genius

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2003 8:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it were anything else I wouldn't worry about it, just ice and rest it, but knee injuries are no joke. I don't want to be one of those people fighting with a big ass leg brace supporting my knee. I'm just hoping it's some sort of sprain or whatever that will heal itself in time. I'm uneasy because the pain is on coming from behind the knee not where the brusing is. Makes me worry something is up. I'll call my doctor and let y'all know what comes of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2003 8:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I snapped my ACL in my right knee while playing basketball. I felt no pain, and no discomfort.
    I continued playing for a while, but subbed myself because my left felt a little strange.
    The next day it started to get stiff, the day after that it began to swell up - still no pain though.
    I've heard that if you tear a ligament in the knee that you get A LOT of brusing swelling. I know people from my school who blew out their ACLs and said the brusing went all the way up their thigh.

Thankfully I'm not seeing any bruinsing (with the exception of the bruise under the knee cap, but I think that just from banging it on the hardwood floor) and no swelling.

Still getting discomfort and like a cramping type pain from behind/side of the knee when I walk on it. weird.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    7/30/2003 8:28am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dont fukk with knee injuries man, take it from me.

If the bruise in under your kneecap then you probably strained your Patella. If you flex your other knee you'll feel a thick tendon connecting your kneecap to your shin area. This prevents your knees from hyperextending. Its a REALLY strong tendon and you have to mess it up HARD to cause real damage.

Let it rest a few days and see how it feels. If it still hurts than go see a doctor because if you DID tear a ligament or something else it probably WONT heal EVER. When you replace a ligament in surgery it usually comes froma cadaver, believe it or not. They just don't heal by themselves.

Good luck!
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2003 8:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I went to the doctor yesterday
    The good news is...it's not a tear or damage to the knee. My doctor says I may have stressed the hamstring muscles (where they cross behind the knee) That coupled with some swelling and brusing under the knee cap from smacking it on the wood floor is probably what's causing my knee pain. She suggested that I keep icing, take ibuprofin and do some hamstring strengthening excercises.

My knee still has that pinching and cramping feeling behind the knee, but whatever. I can deal with that I was really just worried that I had done some damage to the knee that I would aggrevate/worsen if I didn't get it checked out. This should heal itself in time. I'm REALLY freaking relieved that I didn't damage any ligaments. phew.

Edited by - tkdist on August 01 2003 08:30:25

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2003 6:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad to hear your knee is okay TKDist. Just to add a little info on ACL reconstruction:

I snapped my ACL last Sept. and elected for surgery over PT. Instead of a cadaver graft, I had a patellar tendon graft. In this procedure, a piece of your patellar (kneecap) tendon is removed from the kneecap and used to replace the ACL. Instead of two or three point orthoscopy, they also have to cut an "+" shaped incision across the knee. The results tend to be better because it is a piece of living tissue and is your own. The body vascularizes it faster. At least that is how my doctor explained it to me. I was back in limited practice in 6 months and could jump and somewhat spin on it in 9.

Side question for FingerorMoon or anyone else who has snapped their ACL: If you had it rebuilt, what exercises gave you the best results for regaining single leg leaping and pivoting that involved heavy torsion?

Edited by - Haksaeng on August 06 2003 19:05:04
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast