Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 4:31am

Style: FreeStyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

freshman in college..marines..

Im a freshman in college and because of family issues ,im thinking about joining the military, the marines to be exact because of the martial arts program , and higher standard training for recruits from what ive seen so far as far as basic training goes at least. (compared to navy and airforce not the army) . I was wondering about the educational stuff in there too(marines) but also wanted to see if any marines came on this site, and are currently in the martial arts program, or were in it before. Any advice or wisdom is cool with me..bestow upon me....lol....

Infidel

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 9:32am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a marine though I have worked with them and their fucking awesome.

One thing though, I don't think you should base what branch of service you sign on for on their martial arts program. Seriourly, you'll recieve much better hand to hand training when you take it upon yourself to find training. I can't speak from experience and others in the US forces correct me if I'm wrong but there usualyl isn't all that much time alloted to hand to hand. Speaking with Us servicem men, training seems to touch on it but they have all felt they could use a lot more. And those interested in more have sought it on their own via either civi maretial arts classes or training after hours with guys from work.

Don't join up because of what you think the MA component of the branch/trade is like. And don't ask recruiters, they will tell you anything to get you in :)

Chose a branch and trade you think you will enjoy overall then start looking for martial arts.

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 10:22am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've not been real impressed by the MCMAAP or whatever it's called. If you get stationed somewhere with a good Combatives progam, the Army Combatives training blows the Marine Corps program out of the water (Just to let you know, I'm not real impressed with the Army Combatives program either, but I know people that have had good experiences). Either way, you're better off training independently and taking whatever you get in the military as a supplement.

GuiltySpark is right. Don't join a branch based on the H2H program. Don't even think about it. I joined the Army because I felt I had more control over my job, they offered the shortest contract (in case I didn't like it) and the biggest bonus, and most of all, I get more options with schools. Wanna go Airborne or Air Assault? For me at least, it's a matter of filling out a packet next summer. Then there's Ranger, Sapper, SF . . . the list goes on. I also enjoy the fact that our current uniform doesn't require retarded amounts of maintenance (AIR FORCE). We also only have 2 main uniforms: ACUS and Class As/Bs. We normally just wear ACUs, unlike the Navy (they literally have more uniforms than there are days of the week).

I know lots of guys that loved the Marine Corps and feel like that was the best place for them. Just make sure to check out your options before you sign anything. AND MAKE SURE WHATEVER YOU WANT IS WRITTEN DOWN IN THE FUCKING CONTRACT. None of that "oh we'll get to that later" ****.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Banned for failing to live up to the standards he expected of others and wasting more time on calling out forum military members' credentials than he spent in his own military career.

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 10:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bulldogging

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you need to do is get down to your recruiters and take some tests and see what kind of scores you can get. That will determine what they offer you. I like the Army myself but have many friends who were and are Marines.

If you want a frontline job make sure you sign for Airborne and 11 Bravo Infantry or youll end up being a truck driver or somthing. Why dont you think about ROTC and the Infantry? Well you need to decide what you want, I would suggest somthing with OH Helicopters like the OH-58 or OH-6 Little Birds,

http://www.specwarnet.net/vehicles/littlebirds.htm

I was a Blackhawk Mechanic/Criewchief but the most fun I ever had was flying around with a crazy W3 in a OH-58 buzzing the roof tops of some German Apartments. The Warrent Officer Pilot Program would be worth A look to. Like I said, You need to go talk to those guys and dont sign anything, get them in a bidding war and get some other guys to sign with you so you can go to basic as a E-3.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 8:05am

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would look into ROTC if you want to get a teaser of what the military is like, it definatly is not the same as enlisting though (even though you do if you have a scholarship). There are plenty of 3 year scholarships available and you get a stipend while on scholarship (i believe around $500 a month right now) and free books.

Many colleges will also give you a room and board scholarship if you are on an ROTC scholarship.

Im not sure if the financial incentives help your family issues, but it is definatly something to look into. the commitments afterwards depend on the needs of the military at the time, when I was a cadet it was 4 years, but my freshman year, the airforce had an overproduction of officers and only had an option for a 1 year active duty commitment followed by a couple years of reserves for cadets being commisioned that year. at one point i believe the army was doing 6 months active followed by a couple years in the reserves, but that was about 10 years ago and probably not the same with the current world situation.

if you do army/airforce, see if they have a ranger team/club (they will let you train in it if you are an airforce cadet at least they did 10 years ago), you will get some very basic small unit tatics training and a bit more than what the regular cadets get, if you do navy you have to learn how to sail a small boat and spend your summers on ships, asides from the opportunity to do the ranger club stuff, in airfoce rotc, most of your leadership labs will be marching, playing waterpolo/volleyball, and lectures.

you can do some fun stuff in the summers, even if you are in airforce rotc, stuff like jump school and glider school, but you have to compete against others nationally for those slots based on physical fitness test scores etc. i believe it is the same for the army.

Picking a branch of service based on martial arts is probably not your best bet, if you really want to train h2h, you are probably better off finding it on your own.

if you do decide to enlist see if you can enlist at advanced rank, it depends on the serivce, each has their own requirements, but number of credits you have, if you were an eagle scout, did jrotc etc will enable you to enlist at up to an e3/e4 depending on the service.
    Last edited by hl1978; 12/06/2006 8:10am at .

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 8:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Advice from a former Marine - Stay in College.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 10:06am

Style: Judo, Xbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    Advice from a former Marine - Stay in College.

Ditto!

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 10:57am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a former Marine. I have a question for you, what the ****? You want to join the Marines because of their H2H program? That is probably one of the worst reasons I've ever heard when considering which branch to join.

Here are a few items for you to consider:

1. Pay attention to what the other former military told you on this thread. It's good advice.

2. There are better educational and vocational programs in the Army, Navy and the Air Force.

3. If you join the Marines, there is probably a 95% chance you will get a chance to serve in Iraq or Afghanistan. A slightly lesser chance if you join the Army and the percentages continue to go down in the Navy and A.F. So you better be damn sure you're ready to sweat your ass off, live in a tent in the sand and deal with the threat of IED's.

4. No matter what your recruiter tells you, U.S. military contracts are eight years long. Even if you're no longer on active duty and have recieved your discharge papers, they can re-activate you up to eight years after you signed on the dotted line.

5. Consider joining as a reservist, while the educational bonuses are not as good as active duty, you're more likely to get the chance to finish your degree than if you join as an active duty member.

Make an informed decision after talking to your friends, parents or teachers. Don't be hasty. Remember, if you decide to join, the U.S. government has an option on the next eight years of your life.

Good luck.

Martial and Sexual Artist

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: standup to ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vet Marine here, I went the opposite way, I started going to school while in. I was a 0311/8111

Most of the stuff above is pretty true.

The MCMAP program itself is very basic, but, and I can only speak for my own units(1-1, 2-2) you will end up having some practical experience.

The educational opportunities are the poorest in the Corps unfortunately. Esprit de Corps takes the place of many perks.

I wouldn't join if I were you. It's not worth it brother believe me.

Open to talk more if you have more questions.