224693 Bullies, 3911 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 49
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Aero is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Essex County NJ
    Posts
    36

    Posted On:
    11/30/2006 5:33pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Question for MT School

    I'm investigating a school that offers BJJ and Muay Thai -- I wanted to figure out how it sounded compared to others..

    When questioned about full contact sparring, they remarked that they do full contact padded sparring, and that they are into partner preservation (a good thing) so they train elbows but do not throw them in sparring. Is this common in MT schools?

    That's basically the only thing, although I may post some follow up questions after I get more involved.
  2. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    11/30/2006 5:50pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero
    I'm investigating a school that offers BJJ and Muay Thai -- I wanted to figure out how it sounded compared to others..

    When questioned about full contact sparring, they remarked that they do full contact padded sparring, and that they are into partner preservation (a good thing) so they train elbows but do not throw them in sparring. Is this common in MT schools?

    That's basically the only thing, although I may post some follow up questions after I get more involved.
    I honestly have never heard of a muay thai school that allows elbows during sparring, though I imagine if you got a pair of elbow pads to prevent cuts instructors would probably consider it (back at Nashville MMA we were told we could use elbows if we had elbow pads).
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
  3. alex is offline
    alex's Avatar

    STOP POSTING!

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    8,194

    Posted On:
    11/30/2006 7:26pm

    supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we use elbows in clinch sparring occasionally but only the more advanced people and only with a lot of care. badly placed elbow strikes get ugly real fast
  4. feral is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    111

    Posted On:
    11/30/2006 7:50pm


     Style: Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The school's i've been to didn't allow elbow strikes in sparring, but California just started to allow full rules muay thai, so that may change soon.
  5. Khun Kao is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    638

    Posted On:
    12/02/2006 9:02pm


     Style: MuayThai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The rule of thumb in a MuayThai gym is "NO ELBOWS" when you're sparring. There are some gyms that make certain exceptions, but you'll find that even with exceptions, there are strict guidelines for their use in place. The risk simply isn't worth it.

    For instance, I allow my most experienced fighters to use elbows to the body or limbs in sparring, but only because they have proven their judgement and respect for one another (and the damage they could cause). They throw them in such a way that they only "go through the motions" of the elbow and are careful to only "place" the elbow or lightly "touch" with it. Novices are banned from using elbows in sparring.
  6. spirez is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    402

    Posted On:
    12/03/2006 7:00am


     Style: BJJ/no-gi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah last thing you wanna do is catch an elbow to the face and get split open in training, especialy if you've got a fight coming up!

    I train elbows on the pads but never throw them in sparring. I'm only at an intermediate level at the moment too so not at the stage where i can realy control myself 100%.

    You could always buy one of those bob punchbag things!
  7. Tonuzaba is offline
    Tonuzaba's Avatar

    C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    5,594

    Posted On:
    12/03/2006 8:42am

    supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm... Honestly, without any disrespect, but this thread makes me wonder: where do these statements on "no elbows" stand in our nice little dispute on alive training?
    Or are you proving other opinions right (not mine though...) when stating that ALTHOUGH YOU DON'T TRAIN the technique in sparring, YOU CAN SUCCESSFULLY USE IT in a fight? Can you see the point, thai brothers?
    Tonuzaba
  8. spirez is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    402

    Posted On:
    12/03/2006 8:46am


     Style: BJJ/no-gi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also don't train to physically choke someone out in my grappling class, yet i know how to choke them out...
  9. Tonuzaba is offline
    Tonuzaba's Avatar

    C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    5,594

    Posted On:
    12/03/2006 9:16am

    supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spirez
    I also don't train to physically choke someone out in my grappling class, yet i know how to choke them out...
    There is a difference between alive training of a choking technique not involving a real choking of your training partner and of an alive training of an elbow strike not involving an elbow strike, don't you think?
    Tonuzaba
  10. octaviousbp is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    216

    Posted On:
    12/03/2006 9:48am


     Style: Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba
    Hmm... Honestly, without any disrespect, but this thread makes me wonder: where do these statements on "no elbows" stand in our nice little dispute on alive training?
    Or are you proving other opinions right (not mine though...) when stating that ALTHOUGH YOU DON'T TRAIN the technique in sparring, YOU CAN SUCCESSFULLY USE IT in a fight? Can you see the point, thai brothers?
    Tonuzaba
    I can honestly say, I never use elbows in sparring, though it was an elbow that put down my last opponent. I train the elbows plenty "alive" on the pads though, I would say.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.