Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 11:56am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ/Boxing/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just check out some kick defense drills online, you'll be fine with those.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaChance
    Just check out some kick defense drills online, you'll be fine with those.
    I watched a documentary on Hannibal leading his armies to the gates of Rome - you think I can go and take on the Italian capital now?
    Tonuzaba

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 2:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I was just implying that if you are already fairly skilled in Martial Arts, then it should'nt be to hard to teach yourself from instructional videos. Not to mention it is more cost effective. Sorry I did'nt make that clear enough in the previous post.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 4:25pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaChance
    No, I was just implying that if you are already fairly skilled in Martial Arts, then it should'nt be to hard to teach yourself from instructional videos. Not to mention it is more cost effective. Sorry I did'nt make that clear enough in the previous post.
    I have to disagree.
    There's almost no chance to learn most techniques solely from watching them on photographs or video.
    Even the best instructional videos are to be viewed only as good helping tools to add to your training under certified guidance. On their own, they'll just make you end up with a bunch of bad habits and/or injuries (and percentage to the producer of the material...).
    Not to speak of what "fairly skilled in MA" means...
    Tonuzaba

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 4:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's really all in how you apply it to your training. Then it can usually help.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 12:07am

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You learn kick defense by defending against kicks. To do it right you need help from somebody who does it right. There is no substitute for expert instruction. I hate to sound so simplistic but really is kind of a simple question. But condition, and I can't stress it enough. I thought I had a handle on my kick defense until I got kicked by somebody who knew what the **** they were doing. Then the only thing I could think about was how bad my **** hurt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 12:38am

Style: Mongolian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training against kicks

Aero said
    It isn't incredibly hard to A. kick out their other leg? B. Move in on them real fast and sweep/trip....if you are real mean and somewhat relaxed you can reap the leg in towards you real hard and apply hard force to their...chin...neck..face? and try to spike them down on the back of their head/neck.

For other non-leg kicks there is the obvious defense...move diagonally towards/laterally away straight leg kicks...block/cover and ride off less straight kicks?
    Aero has a good point with moving in. Try to step diagonally with a slip/cross. Move out of the way while attacking. Try not to bring your hands down, its a good way to get punched or kicked in the head.

I agree with the other recommendations to work with people that are good at kicking. Get good at your boxing and exchange knowledge.

I would recommend training against kicks from non-muay thai fighters. I've been nailed by a good low-kick, head-kick combo. Such kicks are done (very well) by tkd and some kung-fu styles.

Good Luck!

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 9:52am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with tabwyo.
    If you train kick defence on your own you'll be shocked the first time you go up against a reasonably good kickboxer, thai boxer, ladeeda, etc.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 12:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba
    I watched a documentary on Hannibal leading his armies to the gates of Rome - you think I can go and take on the Italian capital now?
    Tonuzaba
    Sure, why not. The Italians have been a bunch of panzies ever since the Goths stuck it to them. :viking:Heck, the only successful military campaign they've had since 4th century was to invade Albania. Albania! Get real. Thats like beating up on Haiti. I think the Italians could do with a little Slovakian ass kicking.

WRT the original post, since you say you already have a friend who kicks like a mule, train with him. Have him teach you how to kick in exchange for you working on his boxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 10:29am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of environment are you talking about? Streetfighting, kickboxing, mma? If you're a good infighter that almost nullifies your opponents ability to kick. Also the cross is the archrival of the roundhouse kick; look at you opponent's hip rotation which precedes the kick. As soon as you see it throw the cross with bad intentions. Your opponent won't be able to evade it because he'll be standing on one foot when it lands. That being said when fighting a good kicker you must bring the fight to him. Good kickers try to create space to set up their kicks (a la "Crocop") and unless you are a fantastic counterpuncher playing the counterpunching or outfighting game is a risky business.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast