Sponsored Links Spacer Image

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 4:19pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I moved from boxing to mt... forward pressure is where its at. Close and brawl. Can't comment on the clinch since I haven't worked it. (too newb. lame.)

Look into a private if you don't want to join a class. I was shocked how cheap they were compared to bjj guys.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 5:58pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan

He's a boxer who's already told us he's too much of a cheapskate to pay for anything more. The best advice you can give to someone like this is to stop worrying about everything and just enjoy what they are doing. So, he might as well become a lot better and more versatile of some of the finer points of more complete boxing while he's at it. Let fate deal with whatever outcome might be in the cards for him.

and

On second thought, my answers are predicated on the assumption he's actually studying and practicing boxing as opposed to a more typical "My father/brother/roomate has some gloves and we've mixed it up a few times. The school gym has a heavy bag I mess around with, too. Voila! I'm a boxer!"

Whoa whoa whoa. I'm training in 'actual' Boxing as in I go to a Boxing gym (I even made a review of it and its linked beside my style field), I step into the ring and spar with other Boxers, I train as hard as possible and I will hopefully be able to compete in amature fights within a year (Or less perhaps, a year is just my goal).
    I LOVE Boxing. I don't think i'll ever stop training as a boxer till the day I die (Or become to feeble too) and I can afford boxing because its much, much cheaper, at about 200 bucks a year.

I'v already been investigating the local MT schools, tried their classes and whatnot. I thought it was awesome (really, really hard on my knees but awesome, almost as much fun as Boxing) but the prices ranged upwards of 70 to 100 bucks a month with a contract for a place I need to spend an hour getting too. I'm not trying to be overly cheap and i'm not stupid enough to think that I can become good at it without sparring, I'm just looking for... alternatives to begin with.

I
    I'm not particularly worried about this what if paranoia you speak of, I know when I spar with a MT or any other kicking fighter that i'm gonna get kicked (Already done that actually, I learned one of my friends kicks like a damn mule really quick), I'm not worried about t3h st33t or any other bullshit, just to see if anyone had suggestions on if I could pick it up basic kick defence without alot of training. Which you folks have wonderfully supplied and i'm greatful :icon_salu

Right now my kicking defence is pretty much what you recommend, moving in and staying close to minimize the damage that can be done with kicks and pounding away at them.

So yeah, looks like in the new semester i'll just have to suck it up and see about a few months of MT (Not a huge surprise but it was worth asking) , my knee'll hate me but much better in the long run.
    Last edited by Jorec; 11/30/2006 6:05pm at .

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 6:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jorec, my words didn't actually accuse you of dallying and pretending to be a boxer.

My overall point is, if you really want it, you'll find a way to pay the price one way or another. You may say you are not "overly cheap", but ultimately, you don't want to pay the price to go learn it right now (money, time, pain, cultivating the right friendships, etc). That's fine. Calling you a 'cheapskate' is just my way of trolling you about your decision. :smile:

Enjoy the boxing. Just realize pure "in and out" strategy, side stance, partial back exposing, hunched over, head hunting, deep bobbing and weaving, etc. stereotypical amateur boxing style is an extreme exploitation of amateur boxing's scoring and rule set. It may not suit you well in other venues where opponents know how to adapt to a different rule set. It's just there are a lot more ways to box. And, some of those ways have greater crossover.

When you spot a good kick boxer who doesn't kick much or Muay Thai stylist who likes to punch more in the clinch, or someone else who is really good with their hands, you should recognize they probably aren't doing much illegal with their hands under boxing rules. So, assuming proper coaching in boxing, you could just easily become a really good boxer with a preference for boxing in that fashion instead.

[Paranoia may be too strong of a word, but c'mon! Who are we kidding? We both know in the back of your mind the next thought in line is "what if ... what if ... what if he's trying to take me down?" LOL.]
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 11:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    get shin pads and find a good kickboxer to train with, it's the cheapest way.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 11:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh and including drills of course, where you're going to be defending against outside and inside kicks coming at random.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 2:23am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Jorec, my words didn't actually accuse you of dallying and pretending to be a boxer.
    Bah, even if you had been I woulda understood why. The concept of "boxing" is so flimsy to some people that even just throwing a punch is "boxing", it kinda irks me when I hear people talk about being "boxers" but they don't train, compete or spar or when people talk about striking another person, they call it 'boxing'. Lol

My overall point is, if you really want it, you'll find a way to pay the price one way or another. You may say you are not "overly cheap", but ultimately, you don't want to pay the price to go learn it right now (money, time, pain, cultivating the right friendships, etc). That's fine. Calling you a 'cheapskate' is just my way of trolling you about your decision. :smile:
    True. Heh :D

Enjoy the boxing. Just realize pure "in and out" strategy, side stance, partial back exposing, hunched over, head hunting, deep bobbing and weaving, etc. stereotypical amateur boxing style is an extreme exploitation of amateur boxing's scoring and rule set. It may not suit you well in other venues where opponents know how to adapt to a different rule set. It's just there are a lot more ways to box. And, some of those ways have greater crossover.
    I'm hoping that I won't fall into the protypical amature boxer habits, i'm trying not to at any rate by studying, even if just for short times, different striking styles so heres hoping.

[Paranoia may be too strong of a word, but c'mon! Who are we kidding? We both know in the back of your mind the next thought in line is "what if ... what if ... what if he's trying to take me down?" LOL.]
    Lol, that thought is in there somewhere for sure. :5arg: Thanks for the critque, I honestly expected a much harsher response to my question.

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 1:53am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorec
    Alright, i'm looking to learn some basic defence against kicks, so that I don't get eaten alive should I ever spar with a MT or some other kicking art practitioner.

My question being, is it possible to learn decent kick defence on your own with a guide or perhaps with a short amount of instruction?
    Or am I going to have to suck it up and shell out cashy money for a few months of MT lessons.

The only reason I ask this seemingly retarded question is that i'm a broke ass student tryin to save cash where I can (MT lessons are expensive around here :|) and kick defense seems like it would be fairly simple to pick up.
    Learning to do the actions to block the kick is good. However, being able to block kicks and still continue fighting is another matter.

You'll also need a heavy bag to condition your shins on. Regular kicking by a training partner to your inner thigh will help condition there.

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 4:22am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear thats how these monks in china train certain other areas of the body..

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 6:16am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorec
    I could pick up basic kick defence without alot of training.
    You've already been told by others, I just wanted to stress that without a lot of training, preferrably under expert guidance, you'll never pick it up. Get together with friends who kick well for some hard training as often as you can is the second best thing to joining a gym.
    Tonuzaba

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 6:27pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a few people out there who throw "thai" kicks just because they heard Bas Rutten say it was a good idea while commentating for Pride.

They're sorta like those kids that try flying knees cause they watched Ong-Bak recently.

I'm just pointing out there may be a chance his opponent is an idiot rather than qualified, but yeah your advice still rings true.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast