Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 1:32pm

Style: MT Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good routine...

I'd started to notice a mental block on my pure runnng days, a little evil voice in my head contantly saying " This is ****, this sucks.... just stop" etc. Hey I'm from the short attention span generation

So

I started mixing in some bodyweight exercises.

(By the way I'm lucky enough to have a running track that runns around the edge of the cardio & weights area in my gym.)

1 mile run to warm up & get my heart rate up to 120- 140

then 1 min dips to failure followed immediately by crunches (To round out the 60 sec.)

1 min running around the track

1 min pullup to fdailure (crunches to round out the 60 sec)

1 min track

Repeat 5 times

I don't let my HR drop below 140 & I know if the high end alarm starts beeping (190) I need to back off or get in trouble for pukeing in the gym bins again.

Cool down with a mile on the mill

I've really found it a great way to get that extra bit out of myself on the days i know I'm not going to hit it as hard as i should on just the Treadmill/road

P.s. Congratulations those are some incredible results for the time frame

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 1:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    For standard HIIT those seem to be waaaay too short intervals. From what I've read (and what worked for me) what is generally recommended is rest intervals of 2 minutes and high intensity intervals of 1 minute. FWIW. It's probably one of those things where you get a different answer depending on who you ask. Meh.

These intervals sound like they are geared more towards a long distance runner (ala Fartlek training.)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    It gets worse Matt... The tabata protocol is 20 seconds all out, 10 seconds rest, as one set.

One of the quickest ways to make me start heaving. :smile:

If your current intervals are working for you, sure, stick with it. One of the main problems with H.I.I.T., Tabuta, or similar type trainings is not overtraining, per se, but burnout. It may seem obvious, but someone can't make any progress if they quit.

People always seem to be so worried about overtraining. Undertraining is more of a problem, IMO. Many athletes have no problem pushing hard on the anaerobic threshold with interval training every day of the week. To a certain extent, you are training your heart and circulatory system. But mostly, you are training your body's endocrine and pain tolerance to buffer, recycle, and expel lactic acid. Recovery is very different than recovery from other training such as for lifting. (And, heart muscle absolutely loves lactic acid.)
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 2:17pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffman
    good routine...

I'd started to notice a mental block on my pure runnng days, a little evil voice in my head contantly saying " This is ****, this sucks.... just stop" etc. Hey I'm from the short attention span generation

So

I started mixing in some bodyweight exercises.

(By the way I'm lucky enough to have a running track that runns around the edge of the cardio & weights area in my gym.)

1 mile run to warm up & get my heart rate up to 120- 140

then 1 min dips to failure followed immediately by crunches (To round out the 60 sec.)

1 min running around the track

1 min pullup to fdailure (crunches to round out the 60 sec)

1 min track

Repeat 5 times

I don't let my HR drop below 140 & I know if the high end alarm starts beeping (190) I need to back off or get in trouble for pukeing in the gym bins again.

Cool down with a mile on the mill

I've really found it a great way to get that extra bit out of myself on the days i know I'm not going to hit it as hard as i should on just the Treadmill/road

P.s. Congratulations those are some incredible results for the time frame
    Thanks Buff! I figure I'm gonna be integrating the GPP or body weight excercies by next month.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 1:53pm

Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boredom is another problem with doing HIIT and Tabata or any other workout that does have variation. That is one of the reasons I suggested GPP or such type of excercise. They will work great for the 1st month or so and then you find yourself going "Damn I got to go do the same damn thing today that I did that last 30 yesterdays?"

Also if you keep mixing it up your body doesn't get efficient at doing the same thing over and over.

Cheers

Bry

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 2:12pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry
    Boredom is another problem with doing HIIT and Tabata or any other workout that does have variation. That is one of the reasons I suggested GPP or such type of excercise. They will work great for the 1st month or so and then you find yourself going "Damn I got to go do the same damn thing today that I did that last 30 yesterdays?"

Also if you keep mixing it up your body doesn't get efficient at doing the same thing over and over.

Cheers

Bry
    I am starting to feel that way now Bry. :( I'm just trying to figure out how I'm gonna do sprints on the machine, then jump off to do burpees/pushups, etc...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 2:35pm

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to integrate HIIT into my current workout method, the problem is I don't really have time to hit the gym and need to get fit again for Boxing.

At home I have:

Treadmill (yay)
    Exercise Bike and Rowing Machine (Which currently aren't set up)
    Some handweights (5kg each and 10kg each)
    Skipping rope.

That's about it. Of course I have the requistive sparring Gloves, bag globes, focus pad etc but nobody here to train with.

And my bag isn't set up either. XD

GO ME.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 6:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    I've been doing cardio really heavy for the past month, November. What I've really pushed the last 2 weeks is the following, an interval type training on the treadmill.

The treadmill is set for dynamic heart rate, meaning it will raise/lower, speed up/slow down the treadmill depending on my heart rate. The training time is 30 minutes. With a 5 minute warmup and 2 minute cool down.

The settings:
    Top HR is 155bpm
    Low HR is 130bpm
    Max Speed is 5.0

For the first or two sets, I will let the treadmill do the work bringing me up to 155, and then back again. The grade of the incline gets up to about 5 to 6.

Once I feel my joints are ready, at the low end of 130, I'll raise the speed to 7.5mph, at this time my HR is rising, the treadmill is also increasing it's grade, it usually gets up to 2 by the time my heart rate hits 155, lowers itself, and I'm around 160 at this time.

I slow the treadmill down to 3.5, and then let it do the work of slowing itself down more to get me back to 130. Which generally takes about 90 seconds.

As oppossed to a standard H.I.I.T format, where I go all out for 30 seconds, rest 30 seconds, and do it 6 or so more times. I've found this works really well for me and I have the following stats so far.

Weight lost: 12lbs
    Inches lost:
    Waist: 3"
    Neck: -1.5"
    Upper Arms: -1"
    Forearms: .5"
    Chest/Back: -2"
    Thigh: -1.5"
    ***VERY INTERESTING*Calves +2.5"

I am currently doing this cardio workout 5 times a week, M-F.

I will be integrating lifting back in come December. What are your thoughts on limiting or keeping the cardio schedule?

Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy for the calves. This is a result of Type I muscle fibers being used in an aerobic capacity. Plus, there's little fat that can be stored around the calve area.

Running... blah. I only run when it's after people.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2006 9:12am

Style: MT Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was just re-watching Bas on his big DVD's of combat & I'd forgotten completely about his Interval training treadmill routine .

I think I mentally blanked it out after trying it once :-)

He recommends a 10 minute warm up jog on the treadmill.
    Put your feet off to either side and turn up to max incline (He says set the speed at 9 mph)
    Jump on for 45 seconds, then feet off to the sides for 30 seconds = 1 set

Do 9 sets

do a cool down jog if concious!!

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 12:37am

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffman
    I was just re-watching Bas on his big DVD's of combat & I'd forgotten completely about his Interval training treadmill routine .

I think I mentally blanked it out after trying it once :-)

He recommends a 10 minute warm up jog on the treadmill.
    Put your feet off to either side and turn up to max incline (He says set the speed at 9 mph)
    Jump on for 45 seconds, then feet off to the sides for 30 seconds = 1 set

Do 9 sets

do a cool down jog if concious!!
    That sounds basically like the interval training I am used to. I think the rest period should be longer though... You are not working endurance, you are working your anaerobic threshold. I'm used to intervals from 30 seconds to 2 minutes from cycling. Don't do this every day... alternate with LSD (long slow distance).
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123