Administrator

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 11:47pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Interval Training - Give me your thoughts

I've been doing cardio really heavy for the past month, November. What I've really pushed the last 2 weeks is the following, an interval type training on the treadmill.

The treadmill is set for dynamic heart rate, meaning it will raise/lower, speed up/slow down the treadmill depending on my heart rate. The training time is 30 minutes. With a 5 minute warmup and 2 minute cool down.

The settings:
    Top HR is 155bpm
    Low HR is 130bpm
    Max Speed is 5.0

For the first or two sets, I will let the treadmill do the work bringing me up to 155, and then back again. The grade of the incline gets up to about 5 to 6.

Once I feel my joints are ready, at the low end of 130, I'll raise the speed to 7.5mph, at this time my HR is rising, the treadmill is also increasing it's grade, it usually gets up to 2 by the time my heart rate hits 155, lowers itself, and I'm around 160 at this time.

I slow the treadmill down to 3.5, and then let it do the work of slowing itself down more to get me back to 130. Which generally takes about 90 seconds.

As oppossed to a standard H.I.I.T format, where I go all out for 30 seconds, rest 30 seconds, and do it 6 or so more times. I've found this works really well for me and I have the following stats so far.

Weight lost: 12lbs
    Inches lost:
    Waist: 3"
    Neck: -1.5"
    Upper Arms: -1"
    Forearms: .5"
    Chest/Back: -2"
    Thigh: -1.5"
    ***VERY INTERESTING*Calves +2.5"

I am currently doing this cardio workout 5 times a week, M-F.

I will be integrating lifting back in come December. What are your thoughts on limiting or keeping the cardio schedule?

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 12:34am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, whatever works for you.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 12:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Jackson
    Hey, whatever works for you.
    Don't be an idiot and post in this thread again.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 1:03am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like Dude, mellow out. Flash Jackson's cool. You be cool. We all be cool. Can you dig it?
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 1:17am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been told that the type of interval training you are on is a fast way to improve. Four years ago I was working out and dieting under a trainer and going to burn on the gym bike on a machine with heart monitor. After a while I'd go to the 155 - 165 range and hold it as long as I could stand it - which wasn't very long. Then after getting my breath back on low resistance I'd go back up. Usually tried for three reps. That exercise, weights, low carbo, and long slow biking (I'd watch the Jazz or if they weren't on the Lakers 'cause I hated Colby) got me from 250 to 215 in a little over three months.

And it took a lot longer than three months to GAIN IT BACK........... sob

I found everything improved: martial arts, body surfing, sex, and now I'm going to have a Scotch and feel sorry for myself. I've been dieting because we're going to Hawaii in two weeks and the white flab hanging over bathing suit look isn't in, I've heard.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 11/30/2006 1:22am at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 1:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    I've been told that the type of interval training you are on is a fast way to improve. Four years ago I was working out and dieting under a trainer and going to burn on the gym bike on a machine with heart monitor. After a while I'd go to the 155 - 165 range and hold it as long as I could stand it - which wasn't very long. Then after getting my breath back on low resistance I'd go back up. Usually tried for three reps. That exercise, weights, low carbo, and long slow biking (I'd watch the Jazz or if they weren't on the Lakers 'cause I hated Colby) got me from 250 to 215 in a little over three months.

And it took a lot longer than three months to GAIN IT BACK........... sob

I found everything improved: martial arts, body surfing, sex, and now I'm going to have a Scotch and feel sorry for myself. I've been dieting because we're going to Hawaii in two weeks and the white flab hanging over bathing suit look isn't in, I've heard.
    Awesome Pat! Thanks for the info, this is what I was looking for. :)

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 7:35am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very good program. should really help you get where you want. Only thing I'd say is hard cardo + heavy lifting + hard training may = over training. If you watch out for that you should be golden.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 9:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Very good program. should really help you get where you want. Only thing I'd say is hard cardo + heavy lifting + hard training may = over training. If you watch out for that you should be golden.
    Thanks PJ, I was looking at seperating both of them. Cardio in the morning, lifting in the evening.

I'm watching my resting heart rate in the morning for signs of over training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 10:48am

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a pretty good program. I may have to add it to my schedule.

I also like to start out on the treadmill at a slow rate, 6.0 mph, to warm up, about 5 minutes. Then bump it up to 7 for 90sec. back down to 6 for 2min, 8 for 90, 6 for 2m, 9 for 90, 6 for 2m, 10 for 1min. I then go back down that ladder, but with 30-60 seconds on the "sprints". I usually finish up at 5.5-6 for however long is left to hit 20-30 minutes total.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 10:50am

Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anthony

The only thing I can suggest is you trade one or two of your treadmill days with some GPP drills. Do it in a similiar format as what you are already doing, but with the GPP drills you will be able to work some overall body fitness into your program, don't really need to go to the gym yet, and less risk of burnout because your work other muscle groups and you should still see the weight loss gains.

Bry
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast