218358 Bullies, 6868 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 78
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Rock Ape is offline
    Rock Ape's Avatar

    Watch and Shoot !

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,125

    Posted On:
    11/29/2006 12:35pm

    staff
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Karate Jitsu Kidder

    This time last year I was involved in investigating a gentleman going by the name of Leslie McClean who was openly claiming to be an Aikikai dan holder (claiming said grade having been issued by the aikikai themselves), he additionally claimed to be the aikikai's offcial representitive in what he called "Aikikai Europe". Having contacted the Aikikai Yudansha secretary Mr. Tani I was promptly informed that the gentleman in question was not an Aikikai dan holder or represented that organisation in any format. Job sorted however... During this time I was also made aware of another gentleman, Kevin O'Connor 7th dan Karate jitsu for whom the now outed 7th dan Aikidoka acted as Technical Director.

    [Mr. O'Connor holds a member account here at BSD] Going by the alias of "Doshu"

    Mr. O'Connor claimed to be a 7th dan in a style of Karate which he invented himself "Karete Jitsu" and headed what appeared to be an international multi-art organisation. www.bkjassn.com (Site now defunct)

    The website contained many photographic and video images of Mr. O'Connor performing and teaching his art, it came as a bit of a surprise therefore to learn that, O'Connor was or had been claiming the highest rate of Disability Allowance under the auspices of a back problem sustained some time ago.

    I am lead to understand that Mr. O'Connor was reported to the DSS by one of his former students.

    The first news article:

    The Karate Kidder Nov 6 2005

    http://www.bkjassn.com/Instructors/KevinOConnor.html

    http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk...#story_continue

    Exclusive By Tom Wells

    A TOP martial arts coach could face jail after being charged with claiming £50,000 in disability benefits - while continuing to give karate lessons.

    Kevin O'Connor, who also works as a fight advisor to TV shows, is one of the most highly regarded jujitsu and karate instructors in the UK.

    But last week the father-of-two, from Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, appeared in court accused of carrying out a £50,000 scam.

    If convicted, he could face up to six months in prison.

    O'Connor, 48, ruptured a disc in his back in 1994 and started claiming hand-outs two years later.

    He told Department of Work and Pensions staff he was taking painkillers and said he needed a stick to help him walk.

    He successfully applied for incapacity benefit, income support and disability living allowance, after also claiming he was unable to work because of the injury.

    But following a tip-off, investigators began a probe and charged O'Connor with fraud last month.

    The Sunday Mercury understands surveillance footage shows O'Connor teaching falls and throws to pupils during a martial arts session.

    It is thought the footage will form a key part of the case against him.

    He will next appear before magistrates in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, on December 2.

    Last night, O'Connor told the Mercury: "I have done some voluntary work since my injury but no money ever changed hands.

    "I think there's been a misunderstanding. I'm going to plead not guilty and fight this all the way."

    A source close to the investigation said: "O'Connor claimed disability living allowance at the highest rate - which basically means he should not be able to walk more than five metres unaided.

    "If the footage shows him in action throwing people around during a martial arts session, then he's got a lot of difficult questions to answer."

    O'Connor, whose wife Dawn is also a martial arts expert, is a national coach for the British Jujitsu Association and has taught fight skills for more than 30 years.

    He holds a 7th dan in karate - one of the highest belts on offer - and has a 6th dan in jujitsu too.

    O'Connor is also a 7th dan in karatejitsu - a martial art he invented himself.

    His website describes how he has taught self-defence to police authorities and is a technical advisor to the International Martial Arts Federation.

    Last night, James Plaskitt MP, the Government's anti-benefit fraud minister, said: "We are taking a tough line on benefit fraudsters because they steal £1.5 billion a year - money that should be spent on schools and hospitals
    ."

    Following the release of this information Mr. O'Connor made the following post on his own martial arts website forums;

    It became aware to me standing in the dock yesterday that I am being "set up" and about to be sent to the lions as some sort of an example. a new charge has been added as well as a secondary case through the small claims court. so basically they want me sent to jail AND their money back......mmmmm?

    anyway basically I need character references IN COURT. I need names and addresses that my barrister can contact to say I'm no con man and that I help kids, adults and the community by organising etc. Stewart has already come forward and thanks for that. I need mark black and wayne to come forward too + many more

    Witnesses of me being Ill, without being family witnesse who know I've worked towards charity and without earning anything myself. People who have seen me in pain in, after and during seminars. people who know and witnessed us raise money for chrissy and other things

    Cos these people are gonna go out of their way to make me look bad. I realised how much they want to send a decent bloke (guess I'm bias) down. I cant prove it but one has... well lets say he's exagerated the truth already in a statement!!!!

    I guess the government are doing a crack down on benefit cheats at the moment and I would be an example (innocent or guilt) that they are determined to get. How bad it would look if I proved my innocence. WHICH I intend to do.

    Once again thanks for all your support and good luck letters. Now I need bodies who are willing to get up there and tell the truth, and more importantly THE WHOLE TRUTH, not the one sided, negative and derogatory clap trap I heard yesterday.

    ring mobile {number removed} and leave your name and contact number to be passed on if your up for this battle of honour.

    _________________
    bushi karate jitsu
    k o'connor
    7th dan

    still training for the love not the money
    Living by the spirit of traditional bushido


    A year on the following information was released by the media

    EXCLUSIVE: KARATE KIDDER?
    Crippled martial arts ace accusedof £53k sick benefits fraud
    By Nigel Nelson

    A TOP martial arts expert who allegedly said he could hardly walk has been charged after claiming more than £53,000 in benefits.

    Kevin O'Connor has been getting handouts for more than a decade.

    But fraud investigators claim he still ran a martial arts club and worked as a security guard while picking up more than £250 a week from the DSS.

    The benefits started after the father of two ruptured a disc in 1994 which he said had left him almost crippled.

    O'Connor, of Trentham, near Stoke, appeared before magistrates in Newcastle-Under-Lyme on Friday and was charged with obtaining benefits dishonestly and failing to notify officials about a change of circumstances.

    He has 30 years of martial arts experience under his black belt and his wife Dawn is an expert in the sport too.

    O'Connor - a 7th dan - is national coach for the British Jujitsu Association.

    The 48-year-old is also chairman of the Bushi Karate Jitsu Association, which teaches martial arts in 16 countries. He allegedly claimed his back injury forced him to apply for DSS incapacity benefit because he could no longer work.

    The handout was converted later into better-paying income support.

    That gave O'Connor £88.15 a week.

    On top of that he picked up £87.76 for his two dependent children, a disability premium of £34.20 and a disability living allowance of £42.30.

    The mobility cash only goes to people who cannot walk more than five metres unaided. O'Connor is said to have claimed he could only walk using painkillers and a stick. But earlier this year he was shopped to the benefits fraud hotline and investigators moved in.

    It is now alleged that rather than being disabled, he was running a martial arts club and working as a security guard.

    O'Connor appeared in court on Friday. He denies the charges.

    The case was adjourned until January 27 so that committal papers can be served.

    It comes just a week after The People revealed how comic Mark Rough has been charged with fiddling £10,000 in benefits by claiming he was too ill to work - while allegedly doing stand-up shows from Britain to the Middle East
    .

    Further associated reading:

    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/for...99&postcount=5

    http://www.people.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 12/03/2006 2:07pm at . Reason: Correction of a factual innacuracy & Addition of O'Connor's BSD thread type
  2. Rock Ape is offline
    Rock Ape's Avatar

    Watch and Shoot !

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,125

    Posted On:
    11/29/2006 12:55pm

    staff
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is the investigation on Les McClean

    Leslie McLean aka Les MacLean aka Les Hart

    The following document details the results of a short enquiry regarding the martial arts biography of the above named person.

    As someone inherently interested in the history of British Aikido, I came upon the website of the “Bushi Karate Jitsu Association” – also known as the “Bushi Kempo Jitsu Assn” their website URL being www.BKJASSN.com

    Within the contents of this website, I found a senior member (the Technical Director for Aikido) going by the name of Les McLean, 8th dan Kyoshi. I read with interest the posts from this gentleman who uses the alias “supermac” within the various forums pertaining to his own martial arts background, his association with Abbe Kenshiro Sensei, the Butokukai, Kyoto and the Aikikai Tokyo.

    I sent an introductory message to Mr. McLean using the website forum’s Private Message system asking if Mr. McLean might be interested in sharing his stories and recollections of his 40+ years in Budo, together with those of Abbe Kenshiro.

    The follow transcripts are presented here in chronological order as they were presented to me which, sheds a rather different picture of Mr. Mclean than that which he has attempted to lead me to believe and, to a wider audience through his participation of the BKJA website forums in the public domain. Mr. Mclean wrote…

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Leslie MacLean
    Sent: 14 October 2005 13:14
    To: dave-humm@ntlworld.com
    Subject: Re: Aikido in Great Britain - a potted history

    Hi Dave,

    Thanks for the message on the site. I don't know whether or not I can give you any more info that many others may have already!

    When Kenshiro Abbe came to this country in the mid-fifties, he brought with him the first whiff of Aikido England had seen. He was a graduate of the Butokukai, Kyoto, and an uchi-deshi at the Aikikai, receiving his training as a select band of students under the personal direction of O-Sensei Uyeshiba. Others in the same group were Sensei Nakazono and Sensei Noro (both now domiciled in France). His first "real" student was Ken Williams, now the President of his own foundation, but who studied also under messrs Noro, Nakazono and Koichi Tohei. He was the founder of the International Ki Federation (Sensei Tohei's world-wide association). Ken's direct students include Harry Ellis and Haydn Foster, both of whom have their own associations under the umbrella of the British Aikido Board.

    I went to Japan in the wake of the 1964 Olympics, and with letters of introduction from Sensei Abbe, secured a job with an American Newspaper, a place at the Butokukai, and eventually instruction at the Aikikai (under the direction of Sensei Yamada). On my return in 1968, I taught at the Cardiff School of Budo, and thence for Reg Bleakman's Budo of Great Britain, based in Birmingham. My students there included Brian "Skippy" Whipps (now 6th.Dan), Ted Hayward, (now 5th.Dan) and Roy Smith, (now 5th.Dan).

    Because of the very complicated nature of modern Aikido politics in this country, accreditation by the BAB is not always either practical or possible, although the "rules of ther game" are broken when it suits them! The Aikikai commissioned ONE Aikido associate body in Great Britain (it started out as Aikikai GB, then changed its name to the British Aikido Federation) and was left in charge of Sensei Kanetsuka. Sensei Kazuo Chiba, who was its first National Coach, sailed off to San Diego, California and opened his own dojo there. Then, when he was invited back by some of his former students to take a course, set up Aikikai UK. Nobody has ever challenged this state of affairs (we now have TWO Aikikai representative bodies!!), and if you have ever crossed Sensei Chiba's path, you might understand why! Altogether, there are now EIGHT "National" bodies claiming to practice "Uyeshiba" Aikido (maybe a few more I haven't yet come across!) and the BAB goes on accepting this state of things.

    Now, I have no wish to get involved with the morality of all this - as far as I am concerned, those with a honest heart and good teachers can practice what they wish, but it makes rather farcical the idea of "we are the only association.".......etc..! I was, for a short time, on my return to the Midlands, a member of one of these associations, mainly to get the BAB accreditation, only to find soon that they were not even practicing Uyeshiba Aikido, but some variation dreamed up by a comparatively low dan grade who should have known better!! But still the BAB go on recognising them because, presumably, the funds are useful! So it seems that if I used my credentials as an Aikikai Yudansha, I could set up my own organisation (The YingtongyiddleIpo Aikido Federation) scrape together 100 members, and get BAB membership!

    And what happens to bone fide organisations, fed up with the "politics" of the BAB membership scheme, who are desperately trying to gather the required 100 members, but in the meantime are not "official"? No, the whole thing is going down the same rotten road that sunk the BKCC and the MAC. It is morally corrupt, and does nothing but denigrate the name of Aikido.

    Me, I struggled along looking after my old students all over the place, irrespective of their affiliation, and when I could afford to do so, wandered back through the portals of the Aikikai, on the premise that "water is purest at the fountainhead". I was occasionally visiting Sensei Noro In Paris, but when he founded Kinomichi International, the organisation was run by vehement Frenchmen who now censor his mail and e.mails, and won't let anybody near him!

    His own friend Pierre Portocarrero, 8th.Dan Karate, and whose dojo Sensei Noro used for his healing arts seminars, was refused admission to the new KI dojo when it moved house! Sensei Nakazono is now engaged with his new project in the Arizona Desert, and rarely does anything substantive in France, so "Aikikai Europe" to which we were originally attached, has virtually vanished into obscurity! Sensei Tamura (based in Lyons) has a VERY lucretive set-up in his home town, from whence to sallies forth at £1000 a day to teach in South West France. So the European connection has left the politics in the UK to fend for themselves.

    With that rather depressing note, I have to say, that I am about to set up a "centre of excellence" here in Telford, called the Butokukai (after my former Teacher, Kenshiro Abbe) and which is due to open before Christmas. MY doors will be open to all those of a clear conscience and brave heart who seek the knowledge and not personal glory, and are capable of leaving its portals with a smile on their face and ambition to return!!

    I hope this gives you something of a resume to go on, but you have to pardon the depressive history. Honestly, I still love my Aikido, and must have done something right, or else I would not have that 8th.Dan certificate on my landing wall (presented by the largest martial arts body in the UK as a "lifetime achievement award"). When we open the new dojo, it will have pride of place alongside my Aikikai 7th.Dan, my IMAF (Japan) 6th.Dan Judo, and my JKA 4th.Dan Karate.........and God help anyone who mentions "politics"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Les Maclean.
    ***

    … In addition to the above email which I found somewhat contrived based on information I already possessed from trusted sources, I noted from Mr. McLean’s website that they taught “Katori Ryu” and were in fact selling instructional DVD’s with aspects of the art contained. This and the fact that the Principal of the association refers to himself as “Doshu”, I found I was looking at something ‘not quite right’

    http://www.bkjassn.com/forum/viewtop...=asc&highlight

    My first line of enquiry was to the official representative of Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto Ryu in the United States. And then, through communication with the UK representative. Mr. Relnick responded with…

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Phil Relnick
    Sent: 15 October 2005 19:35
    To: dave-humm@ntlworld.com;
    Subject: Re: Researching Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto Ryu

    Dear Mr. Humm:

    Thank you for your e-mail. Regarding your question about the people mentioned in your email, I have never heard of them. In fact, no one is permitted to represent in any way, or teach the techniques of Katori Shinto Ryu without a written Shidosha (instructor) license from Otake Risuke Shihan. At present, only five people have received this license and are allowed to lead the activities of the ryu in their respective countries. These people are:

    Phil Relnick, The Americas
    Michael Jay, England
    Francisco Comerón, Spain
    Luisa Raini, Italy
    Stanislav Loukianov, Russia

    The only recognized instructor for KSR in England is Michael Jay. Please contact Michael or me if you need any further information.

    Regards,

    Phil Relnick

    ***
    -----Original Message-----
    From: M JAY
    Sent: 18 October 2005 13:20
    To: Dave Humm
    Subject: Re: Researching Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto Ryu

    Dear Mr. Humm,

    You are welcome to telephone me anytime as below and I look forward to hearing from you.
    Yours sincerely,

    Michael Jay
    ***

    … I have subsequently had a rather lengthy and illuminating conversation with Mr. Jay who likewise confirmed that no one within the BJKA was authorised to teach, represent or reproduce any aspect of the Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto Ryu system.

    I also made contact with the chairman of the International Aikido Federation to enquire in relation to Mr. McLean’s claim of an Aikikai 7th dan certificate. Dr. Goldsbury responded…

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Peter Goldsbury
    Sent: 21 October 2005 02:44
    To: dave-humm@ntlworld.com
    Subject: Re: Aikikai information

    Dear Mr Humm,

    Many thanks for your mail.

    I have read the thread you appended with your mail. There is much misinformation there.

    To verify a person's aikido grade, you should contact the Aikikai and ask (aikido@aikikai.or.jp). English is acceptable. There is a central database and details of every Aikikai Yudansha in the world are kept in this database. I believe that in the UK the only 7th dan holder of an Aikikai dan rank is Minoru Kanetsuka Shihan, Technical Director of the BAF. Masamichi Noro Sensei left the Aikikai many years ago, when he set up his Ki-no-michi organization. However, he maintained personal links with the late Doshu Kisshomaru Ueshiba and attended his funeral. Nevertheless, to my knowledge the dan ranks he gives are not Aikikai dan ranks.

    If you look at the Japanese-language website of the Aikikai, you will have some idea of the structure of that organization. It is controlled by a group of directors and Doshu is the elected Chairman. In my opinion it is very unlikely that he would ever leave and set up his own organization.

    Finally, it is very curious that these rumours are circulating in the UK and nowhere else, certainly not in Japan.

    Best wishes,

    Peter Goldsbury

    ----------
    Peter A Goldsbury,
    Chairman,
    International Aikido Federation,
    Aikikai Hombu Dojo,
    17-18 Wakamatsu-cho, Shinjuku-ku,
    Tokyo, Japan.
    ***

    … I followed Dr. Goldsbury’s advice and contacted the Yudansha Secretary who informed me….

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "AIKIKAI"
    To: "AIKIKAI"
    Sent: October 25, 2005 11:56 AM
    Subject: Re: Yudansha Enquiry

    Dear Sir,

    Les McLean (Les Hart) is not registered at Aikikai - Japan as a Dan holder, which means his 7th Dan has not been legitimated by Aikido Doshu.

    He is not representative of the Aikikai-Japan. There is no Aikikai Europe. Aikikai-Japan has no representative no matter where it is.

    Hope the information above will help you.

    Sincerely,

    M. Tani
    International Department
    Hombu Dojo
    Aikido World Headquarters

    … at this point it was becoming clear that Mr. McLean’s biographical accounts of his experiences and grades were looking somewhat doubtful; I posted a message on the BKJA Forums regarding the aikido being taught within the organisation, here is the transcript copied from the website before it was removed by the administrator,

    Dave Humm
    Age: 39
    Joined: 10 Oct 2005
    Posts: 9
    Location: North East Lincolnshire (UK)
    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:40 am Post subject: Aikikai ish

    “rossweiler wrote:
    ...The style of Aikido taught will be Aikikai (ish), basically Les McCleans (8th Dan) own variant”

    Hi Ross, many thanks for the information.

    I realise that I'm new to these forums thus, do not wish to appear rude, presumptuous or anything other than a person making genuine enquiries; As someone with a number of years experience (approaching 20) in Aikikai aikido and being an affiliate of Hombu Dojo in Japan, I'm a bit perplexed at your comment about "Aikikai (ish)"

    The reason respectfully I mention this is that I took the time to view the Aikido videos contain on this website as a means of getting a taster for the Aikido studied within the BKJA under McLean Sensei (whom I've never met or trained with I must add) prior to attending your seminar, and I can categorically say (without malice intended I wish to add) that none of the clips presented on this site represent Aikikai based methodology in application of technique.

    Whilst I appreciate that attempting to judge something based on minimal information should always (at best) be a minimal judgement I can safely say I've never seen Aikikai Aikido (ish) or otherwise delivered in the manor contained in the clips.

    I know I'm sounding negative at this point and I wish to reiterate that I'm not having a pop at you guys or indeed McLean Sensei, I'm merely expressing an observation based on my own experiences training under Aikikai instructors and, teaching an Aikikai syllabus under the direction of a Hombu appointed Shihan.

    Kind regards
    _________________
    Dave Humm

    ===

    wes tasker
    Age: 34
    Joined: 04 Aug 2005
    Posts: 96
    Location: Massachusetts, USA
    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:53 am

    Mr. Humm-

    With all due respect, are you saying there is a "consistent" way of doing Aikido waza within the Aikikai? I'm just asking because, in my experience taking seminars with Kanai, Yamada, Chiba, Sugano, and Tamura Shihan and some of their top students - I saw a vast difference in the way they performed and taught certain waza. And if there is a definition of "correct" waza as done in the Aikikai - I was wondering what that might be? Thank you for your consideration.

    -wes tasker

    ===

    Dave Humm
    Age: 39
    Joined: 10 Oct 2005
    Posts: 9
    Location: North East Lincolnshire (UK)
    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:13 am Post subject:

    Wes,

    You use the words "consistent" and "correct" where as I did not.

    I stated from observation that I've never seen aikido described as "Aikikai" delivered in the manor shown in the clips.

    In justification of my post I will likewise mention that I've studied at the New York Aikikai under Yamada Sensei, here in the UK with Chiba Sensei (then the technical director of the organisation to which I belong - UKA) and whilst I fully accept that each individual will bring their own unique flavour to 'their' aikido each of the Sensei you mention are 1st generation students of the founder; Aikikai Aikido does have a particular look provided it is orthodox in nature irrespective of whom may be delivering it.

    Kind regards
    _________________
    Dave Humm

    ===

    Henderson
    Site Admin
    Age: 37
    Joined: 15 Sep 2004
    Posts: 726
    Location: Ashland, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:13 am Post subject:

    This discussion has been split from an event announcement and made into a topic of its' own.......Enjoy!

    wes tasker
    Sensei
    Age: 34
    Joined: 04 Aug 2005
    Posts: 96
    Location: Massachusetts, USA
    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:15 am Post subject:

    Mr. Humm-

    I realize that you didn't use the words "consistent" and "correct" - which is why I used both in stating a question to you as to your implications in your post. You then mention in your last post that,

    "Aikikai Aikido does have a particular look provided it is orthodox in nature irrespective of whom may be delivering it. "

    So again, I ask you, what does that entail?

    -wes tasker

    ===

    Dave Humm
    Age: 39
    Joined: 10 Oct 2005
    Posts: 9
    Location: North East Lincolnshire (UK)
    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:43 am Post subject:

    wes tasker wrote:
    Mr. Humm-

    I realize that you didn't use the words "consistent" and "correct" - which is why I used both in stating a question to you as to your implications in your post. You then mention in your last post that,

    "Aikikai Aikido does have a particular look provided it is orthodox in nature irrespective of whom may be delivering it. "

    So again, I ask you, what does that entail?

    It would be almost impossible for me to either detail in comparison what I have internalised though my training vs. the small amount of information contained in the clips on this site. I DO ACCEPT that the clips are only a very small part of what I'm sure you guys practice and what I don't want to do is to get in to a discussion nit picking a person or a group of people I've never met or trained with, and certainly not in an open discussion forum such as this.

    What I would say is that with any martial art there are clear 'indicators' which can be seen which often denote the style or Ryu-ha being performed, in Iaido for instance, very often the method of chiburi and noto can be used fairly accurately to determine style, In Karate (of which I know very little) I understand stance my be an indicator, likewise Aikikai aikido has particular aspects such as front foot placement, hip rotation and height to name just three.

    I will add however that I've experienced aikido of Iwama and Yoshinkan from a number of instructors within those disciplines and again, although each brought their own perspective to the training, the overall 'feel' or 'look' of the systems had (to use your words) consistency at its core.

    I suppose what I'm saying is that the aikido shown in the clips just doesn't (to me anyway) look like Aikikai aikido

    Wes, may I also ask if your "daily" Aikido is within an aikikai dojo or if you study another method and you've taken seminars under the aikikai Shihan mentioned in your post ?

    Regards as always
    _________________
    Dave Humm

    ===

    Doshu << Kevin O’Connor
    Age: 48
    Joined: 10 Nov 2003
    Posts: 362
    Location: hombu, longto,u.k. 7th dan karate jitsu
    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:25 am Post subject:

    Mr Humm,
    As an open association we are offering an "open seminar" incorporating aikido. NO politics, no ego, no B.S.

    When I teach karate people come irrespective of weather they do wado ryu, shukokai, shotokan, gojo ryu. All come and learn karate from me in an "open way" and go away adapting what they have seen to suit their style.

    If aikido people, (who do seem to want to catarorise,departmentalise for some reason or another), aren’t open to that level of practice they're quite welcome to stay at home and work in their own single art environment...... no problem.
    139 instructors were turned away from the BKJA in 2004, many because of their closed minded I'm holy'er than thou attitudes. they have wallowed in political associations, so know only poitical points of view. I have seen 40 years of it ripping organisations like IMAF, Shukokai, KUGB, BUKKA apart and still people don't learn.

    But then why involve yourselves with a multi style organisation?
    Please you are bringing politics to the forum, one method better than another, no!
    just different.

    I notice too, that you've only done 20 years in the art?
    Yet have not learnt the japanese ways of honour and respect to a senior teacher. One who is 8th dan and been in the art for over twice as long as yourself?

    with all due respect I feel you are the student dictating to the sensei, and in NO japanese art would that be tolerated. Indeed in no japanese art would this happen, because respect would be instilled into any student. Especially if they had trained in the Budukokai, Aikikai or any other traditional establishment.

    But like so many who have only trained in the UK or their own native country, then join or register with these establishments via affiliation,letter or e-mail as a member (not a student), then claim to represent these organisations, it appears to go to their heads.

    Please mr Humm, a little humility is in order here
    _________________
    bushi karate jitsu
    k o'connor
    7th dan
    promoting the spirit of traditional martial arts

    ===

    wes tasker
    Sensei
    Age: 34
    Joined: 04 Aug 2005
    Posts: 96
    Location: Massachusetts, USA
    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:25 pm Post subject:

    Mr. Humm-

    You asked about my aikido background... I began the study of aikido in 1985 with Lou Periello Sensei at the Northeast Aikikai. He, along with two others (Fred Newcomb and Bernie Mulligan) were responsible for Mitsunari Kanai's coming to and staying in Cambridge, Massachusetts. I studied primarily with Periello Sensei but made frequent trips to the Cambridge Aikikai (the late Kanai Sensei's dojo...). I participated in seminars with the aformentioned Shihan at the Cambridge Aikikai as well as the New York Aikikai and the Monadnock Aikikai. I also was able to train with Sekiya Sensei during his annual visits to the Northeast Aikikai. I have trained with people representing such diverse aikido backgrounds as Iwama, Yoshinkan, Yoseikan, Shin-shin Toitsu, and Keijutsukai. I primarily trained in aikido due to my jujutsu Sensei's frequent travels and his leaving the country in 1989. I stopped Aikido training at or around the early to mid 90's.

    The reason I responded to you was I was just expecting a cogent reasoning as to your exception to the waza on the clips being aikikai'ish. So far your reasoning has amounted to -

    "I suppose what I'm saying is that the aikido shown in the clips just doesn't (to me anyway) look like Aikikai aikido"

    Maybe just one small reason based on your internalisation of aikikai aikido can get the ball rolling. Otherwise - why post anything at all???

    -wes tasker

    ===

    green meanie
    Sensei
    Age: 36
    Joined: 06 Nov 2003
    Posts: 588
    Location: Shinglehouse, Pennsylvania USA
    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:04 pm Post subject:

    Wes is god.

    ===

    Dave Humm
    Age: 39
    Joined: 10 Oct 2005
    Posts: 9
    Location: North East Lincolnshire (UK)
    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:41 pm Post subject:

    green meanie wrote:
    Wes is god.

    Childish sentiment
    _________________
    Dave Humm

    ===

    Henderson
    Site Admin
    Age: 37
    Joined: 15 Sep 2004
    Posts: 726
    Location: Ashland, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:50 pm Post subject:

    *ADMIN NOTE:
    Let's keep it civil. This forum welcomes and embraces discussion, even disagreement, however, personal snide remarks have no place here.

    Now, with the adminstrative chastising out of the way...

    I have been reading here about 'characteristics' and 'indicators' as to whether a certain Aikido performance is Aikikai or Yoshinkan or whatever style of Aikido. What I have not seen is any discussion as to what those 'indicators' and 'characteristics' may be. (Forgive me for ending a sentence with a preposition)

    Personally, I would love to gain some knowledge and insight about Aikido from this topic. Maybe if those involved in this discussion could elaborate their points, those of us ignorant to these distinctions may learn.

    ===

    Dave Humm
    Age: 39
    Joined: 10 Oct 2005
    Posts: 9
    Location: North East Lincolnshire (UK)
    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:11 pm Post subject:

    doshu wrote:
    I notice too, that you've only done 20 years in the art? Yet have not learnt the japanese ways of honour and respect to a senior teacher. One who is 8th dan and been in the art for over twice as long as yourself?

    Forgive me but where and when have I mentioned anyone specifically in my posts, Least of McLean Sensei to whom you refer?

    doshu wrote:
    With all due respect I feel you are the student dictating to the sensei, and in NO japanese art would that be tolerated. Indeed in no japanese art would this happen, because respect would be instilled into any student. Especially if they had trained in the Budukokai, Aikikai or any other traditional establishment.

    With all due respect to your good self, your organisation and indeed McLean Sensei (whom I've never met) No one within the BKJA is my Sensei, and despite attempting to hold a civil, adult opinion base discussion, you bring to this thread assumption of my character and indeed personal insults; this disappoints me.

    I would like to add that simply because a person holds a particular grade/title or experience does not automatically entitle them to unconditional "respect". Respect is a commodity which is earned through direct interaction. Do I respect the Prime Minister simply because he holds that position, no. He earns my respect.

    doshu wrote:
    But like so many who have only trained in the UK or their own native country, then join or register with these establishments via affiliation,letter or e-mail as a member (not a student), then claim to represent these organisations, it appears to go to their heads.

    Forgive me Sensei but I don't quite understand your point, are you saying that simply because I haven't trained in Japan that my affiliation to the World Headquarters has no meaning ? I do not claim to represent the Aikikai not do I ever wish too however; If your intimating that I have an EGO because of my Aikikai affiliation and wish to use this forum as a sounding board then your very mistaken. I can assure you that isn't the case. I am merely expressing an informed opinion; we are of course all freely able to disagree.

    In respect to “...then claim to represent these organisations” In an email from McLean Sensei himself he informs me that he is the holder of an Aikikai 7th dan certificate yet, interestingly; the Yudansha Secretary in Shinjuku has absolutely no record of ANY European 7th dan here in the UK. Now, whilst I know you will see that as a direct attack on McLean Sensei I wish to say I have not set out here in an attempt to assassinate his character, I am merely responding to your comments which, to me intimate that I am trying to make out I’m something I’m not, this of course can work both ways.

    doshu wrote:
    Please Mr Humm, a little humility is in order here

    Sensei, at the risk of offending you, you are patronising me simply because I hold an opinion (which clearly doesn't agree with you). At this point I respectfully bow out of the conversation; I have neither the inclination nor desire to be seen as inflammatory or disrespectful. I have my opinion and you guys have yours.

    Kind regards
    _________________
    Dave Humm

    ===

    wes tasker
    Sensei
    Age: 34
    Joined: 04 Aug 2005
    Posts: 96
    Location: Massachusetts, USA
    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:37 pm Post subject:

    Mr. Humm-

    I would respectfully ask that you not bow out of this dialogue. I would really like to hear from you about the distinguishing characteristics of Aikikai aikido vs. what you observed in the clips. Like I stated in a previous post - even just one would start the ball rolling. What good is healthy debate if we can't all be enriched by the resulting dialogue? Thank you.

    -wes tasker

    ===

    Dave Humm
    Age: 39
    Joined: 10 Oct 2005
    Posts: 9
    Location: North East Lincolnshire (UK)
    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:05 pm Post subject:

    Wes - I decline your kind offer, I am genuinely sorry to have posted my message in the first place, not because I don't, won't or can't stand by my convictions but simply because of the patronising nature of the posts made by your "Doshu" [Kevin O’Connor]

    Have you read the post "Aiki egos" ? [See Below] Clearly that is levelled at my posts and frankly, if this is how a visiting Aikidoist is treated simply because he may express an opinion, I neither wish to participate in this thread or forum further or indeed attend the seminar which first brought about my interest, perhaps your "Doshu" needs to exercise a little of his own advice.

    I find O’Connor Sensei's post sadly ironic, he berates those who ... and I quote "...sensei claiming the rank of O Sensei, dictating that they or their style of aiki is best? Showing lack of respect to senior Yudansha because they do aiki differently. And more freighting than anything people claiming to represent the aikikai seem to show the lowest level of respect, humility and honour i have ever witnessed."

    • Is it not your own Principal instructor who uses the title "Doshu" A term currently and pretty much exclusively (legitimately) used by the Ueshiba family to denote the Keeper of the way.

    • Is it not your own Aikido Technical Director who openly claims to represent the Aikikai yet their own Yudansha Secretary in Japan does not know of such a highly graded Yudansha here in the UK.

    I can pretty much see where this is all going to go, I guess I will be heavily slated probably by your Doshu and or the thread deleted. Either way, I apologise to those who see me as having nothing but a negative point of view, never the less, I expressed what I consider to be a genuine, adult opinion based on nearing 20 years of study.

    If anyone wishes to discuss the aspects on my opinion off this board I am happy to do so through email (see my profile) however; I see no point in continuing to express my opinions on a board where I am “chastised” for responding to a silly sentiment yet, the BKJA Doshu can berate me as he sees fit. That gentleman is double standards in my book

    Regards as always
    _________________
    Dave Humm

    ===

    Supermac << Leslie McLean aka Leslie MacLean aka Leslie Hart
    Age: 65
    Joined: 17 Jan 2004
    Posts: 186
    Location: Telford,Shropshire England:
    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:35 pm Post subject: aikikai-ish

    Time for inclusion in this pitch!

    Firstly, the two clips on the site are over four years old, and not terribly clear.
    Secondly, they are exactly as described by Kisshuraro Uyeshiba in his book "Aikido", published with the blessing of his dad!

    As Wes has said, quite rightly, every Aikikai teacher, and I talk of Noro, Nakazono, Abbe, (Kenshiro and Tadashi), Saito (the world ambassador for the Aikikai) etc., has had a different run at the techniques (and so it should be!). We are not clones of each other (thank God) and I interpret techniques according to (a) the principles of Ki, and (b) the principles of Kyu Shin Do (a la Butokukai). There is already a difference of opinion at Aikikai Honbu, between the present incumbant as Doshu, and the "technical committee", so we wait with bated breath as to the outcome, but I have it on good authority that Sensei Uyeshiba may well leave the Aikikai and set up his own organisation to follow his father's teaching, and those of Sensei Saito.

    Thirdly, I would not like to be the bloke who tells Sensei Chiba that he is out of date! Dave is a member of his organisation in the UK, so I trust he will volunteer!!! Sensei Chiba's co-uchideshi, Sensei Tamura, is as different from him as chalk and cheese, and in the big course in North Wales a few years ago when we had the whole shooting match there, it was welcoming to see the differences in their styles, as aikido should NEVER be prescriptive!! There is already a separate organisationin France devoted to the teachings of Sensei Saito, and Sensei Tohei (O-Sensei's number one pupil) has long established his Ki Federation across the globe. There should only be ONE Aikikai group represented in the UK, and the British Aikido Federation is that organisation (set up by Sensei Chiba himself, and led by Sensei Kanetsuka). Sensei Chiba decided some years later to establish his own organisation in the UK, but OFFICIALLY, it does not exist!! (The Aikikai Foundation Charter only allows for ONE body to be affiliated to the Honbu).

    So exactly WHAT IS Aikikai aikido? My answer to all this load of b******s is that water is always purest at the fountainhead, and by that I mean the teachings of O'Sensei and his FIRST GENERATION students!! "Development" by lesser mortals is inevitably flawed by dilution, and anyway, I LIKE the original aikido of Chiba, Noro, Nakazono, Abbe, et al......So there!!!!!!!

    Les

    Dr. Leslie MacLean
    Technical Director, North Midlands Aikikai
    Technical Director, Aikido, for BKJA

    7th.Dan Aikido,
    7th.Dan Judo,
    4th.Dan Karate (Shotokan),
    2nd.Dan Kendo,
    1st.Dan

    ===

    Reiki
    Age: 52
    Joined: 09 Jan 2005
    Posts: 50
    Location: Telford
    Real Name: Victoria Parkin
    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:55 pm Post subject:

    Mr Humm
    just to clear up a little confusion Sensei MacLean was graded by Sensei Noro himself in France, also I would point oyt that Aikkikai Europes records are de centralised from Japan. Also that over time many records are now no longer available, Sensei MacLeans 8th Dan certificate hangs on the wall here, I think we have been up this road before though and I see no mileage in any of it.

    ===

    Dave Humm
    Age: 39
    Joined: 10 Oct 2005
    Posts: 9
    Location: North East Lincolnshire (UK)
    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:05 pm Post subject:

    supermac wrote:
    Time for inclusion in this pitch!

    Sensei, given that you seem to have the 'ear' of the Aikikai with knowledge of the Doshu's (that's Ueshiba Doshu for clarification) possible exit from the IAF, you seem to be somewhat out of date with your knowledge of Hombu Statute.

    "Revision to Hombu recognition
    Hombu recently applied revisions to the International Regulations, and the revised Regulations became effective on the 1st of October, 2000. Major modifications were made to the provisions relating to Hombu Recognition. Until now it has been stipulated that Hombu Recognition should be given only to one organization in a given country. However, taking into consideration many factors such as the rapid expansion of the Aikido population in many countries, the birth and growth of new Aikido organizations in the last two decades, etc., it has been decided that Hombu Recognition may be given to more than one organization in a given country. "

    Additionally Sensei, you also appear misinformed on the actual state of "recognition" within the UK.

    Just for a point of historical clarification, the first aikido organisation set up under the direction of Chiba Sensei was the Aikikai of Great Britain, it was only when Chiba Sensei returned to Japan (not San Diego) to take up official office at Hombu, did the name of the UK organisation change to the British Aikido Federation.

    The UK Representative of Hombu Dojo is of course Kanetsuka Shihan and the British Aikido Federation.

    In addition to the BAF. We have the United Kingdom Aikikai under the direction of William Smith MBE, the UKA are likewise recognised by Hombu dojo to conduct kyu and dan grades under the auspices of the Doshu (Ueshiba Sensei)

    Lastly we have the Komyokan Aikido Association run my Terry Ezra Sensei; again the KAA is recognised by Hombu to conduct kyu and dan grades under the auspices of the Doshu.

    In addition to the above, The British Aikikai has indirect affiliation to Hombu through TK Chiba Shihan. As does the Brighton Aikikai through Christian Tissier Shihan.

    As you can see Sensei Aikikai Aikido is very well represented in the UK by people who actually hold membership both to Hombu Dojo and the International Aikido Federation.

    In March of next year I will be in San Diego training with Chiba Sensei, and likewise in October at Hombu Dojo. Interestingly I have also recently been invited to the Dai Nippon Butokukai UK representative’s dojo in Sussex, I’ll be sure to pass on your regards in each respect.

    In respect of the comments made by "Reiki" I find your sentiment admirable but are you really expecting anyone to accept that someone holding a 7th dan (issued by any Aikikai Shihan of the day) would not be known by either the IAF or Hombu ? I think you'll find that Hombu have a fairly comprehensive records of Yudansha menjo which would have been signed by one of only two people - The founder himself or his Son.
    Anyway, I chose to return to this thread having read McLean Sensei's comments. My first post (or indeed intention) was never about questioning ANYONE'S grades, indeed I didn't mention the issue of grades or specific people until it was brought up by your own Principal. My post was about what I saw within the video clips and the statement from Ross that the Aikido on the "Beyond Basics" seminar would be Aikikai ish.

    Regards.
    _________________
    Dave Humm

    ===

    Lunchy
    Age: 35
    Joined: 22 Nov 2003
    Posts: 221
    Location: Birmingham, UK
    Real Name: Mick Lynch
    Current Grade(s): 1st Dan Aikido
    5th Kyu Aiki ju jutsu
    Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:17 am Post subject:

    Well, I for one feel a bit embarrassed at the way Mr Humm has been treated here. In his first post he was very clear that he wasn't trying to upset or criticise anyone. I wish that people would read through the posts a couple of times before diving in with both feet. If you don't understand properly then don't reply.

    I think that this confrontation has put our Association in a bad light.

    This has been turned into an argument when it had started off as an observation and question. It should have developed into a debate and not a trading of blows, in which I feel Dave Humm has certainly come off best.
    _________________
    Mick Lynch

    ***
    …The above thread and series of posts were removed to the moderators section of their website, as this occurred the person known as “Doshu” posted the following message (and ensuing thread) entitled “Aiki Egos?” Please Note: The post of mine in response to the thread starter remains on the BKJA forum having been edited from my original to suit their own agenda,

    Doshu << Kevin O’Connor
    Age: 48
    Joined: 10 Nov 2003
    Posts: 385
    Location: hombu, longto,u.k. 7th dan karate jitsu
    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:10 pm Post subject: aiki egos?

    I have to say that in no other art, in the 39 years I have done martial arts, have i found such egotism as exists in aikido, WHY?

    sensei claiming the rank of O Sensei, dictating that they or their style of aiki is best? showing lack of respect to senior yudansha because they do aiki differently. And more frighting than anything people claiming to represent the aikikai seem to show the lowest level of respect, humility and honour i have ever witnessed.

    Having trained over the years with the likes of Noro, Abbe, Chiba, Shioda, mochizuki, Segino I can say these Sensei held each other in the highest regard.

    In the UK however one uses a connection to names and titles to attempt to undermine other sensei and style.

    The BKJA was set up and accepts sensei who are of the traditional work together ilk. not the put him down because he is another style ilk.

    we also accept the non traditional aiki and aiki jitsu people who show the correct open mindedness and train with a work and learn together attitude.

    Its amazing that in todays age there are still those 1970's dinosaurs who, think they are better and challenge others. This is due, in many but not all cases to the purchase of grades via those associations and organisations who sell rank to lure memberships.

    just a thought on the standards out there today,
    be honest about who you are and where you fit.

    be true to yourselves, before aikido becomes a mockery in the UK
    _________________
    bushi karate jitsu
    k o'connor
    7th dan
    promoting the spirit of traditional martial arts

    ===

    Gerry
    Age: 68
    Joined: 09 Oct 2005
    Posts: 4
    Location: UK Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:48 pm
    Post subject: What Happened

    What happened to the site concerning"different styles of Aikido"??It has suddenly disappeared off my screen,should I be looking elsewhere for it or has the subject run it's course?
    Gerry

    ===

    Doshu << Kevin O’Connor
    Age: 48
    Joined: 10 Nov 2003
    Posts: 385
    Location: hombu, longto,u.k. 7th dan karate jitsu
    Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:36 pm Post subject:

    the site has been moved to the moderators area while we check the nature of its content in order to protect the sensei's invoved, and save any further embarrassment.

    a bkja committee will be meeting to discuss the whole area of aikido, the attitudes of aikidoka both out and in the association, and the nature of slanderous claims made against members in recent posts/ e-mails.
    _________________
    bushi karate jitsu
    k o'connor
    7th dan
    promoting the spirit of traditional martial arts


    Doshu << Kevin O’Connor
    Age: 48
    Joined: 10 Nov 2003
    Posts: 385
    Location: hombu, longto,u.k. 7th dan karate jitsu
    Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:42 pm Post subject:

    dear all,
    firstly let me thank those who defended the position of the bkja, then go on to clarify
    Doshu just means founder, no big deal about it. so why the issue. On the mat I'm just sensei (teacher)as are most of us.

    I set up the bkja to bring martial artists together and discuss and cross train having seen all this talk before. To that end we organise seminars and chat on the forum. there you have it.

    If you don't want to join then don't join
    if you want negativity go somewhere else,
    if you don,t want to train with an instructor who has been doing aikido for 40 years then don't.

    People (139 yudansh in the UK) join because they see we, as a group have things to offer. Lets be clear Wes Tasker does not need the BKJA. He joined because of the attitude and friendliness he found there.

    But then he did come to us with a friendly and open attitude himself. Wes met me for the first time this year we got on well. NO B/S, NO I've been doing it for 20 years, no I dissagree with the way thats done it cannot be called this or that......

    there are those who would be dictatorial, in the Association there are those who complain and agrue, coicidental that they're all aikidoka at this time, but are still in the association. They can give it but it seems sometimes they can't take it back and get upset when we defend ourselves and our group.

    Egos in Aikido have been the only stumbling block in the association, so lets not beat about the bush. Aikido groups are in turmoil, with lots of big fish in little ponds. Yes we have been here before.

    Even in the association there are yudansha who would walk off the mat at a seminar if Les walked on?. Why? not because of his standard of aikido, not because of his knowledge or ability, so what then? POLITICS and B/S.

    I met with three aiki yudansha this week who claimed they were being told to walk off the mat if Les taught? That is un acceptable in an open association. That IS someone on an ego trip telling people what, who and how to do things. The very attitude we are here to stamp out.
    so I will step back and open it to the senior yudansha to decide...........

    We shall hold a meeting of the committee and technical board to discuss the situation of aikido attitudes and egos on sunday 13th November at the beyond basics seminar. any BKJA technical or senior yudansha of the association who cannot attend, but wish to voice their opinions, should e-mail the office before that date with any reasonable or viable input they want included.
    _________________
    bushi karate jitsu
    k o'connor
    7th dan
    promoting the spirit of traditional martial arts

    ===

    Dave Humm
    Guest
    Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:30 pm Post subject:

    Dear Sensei,

    I'm afraid your explanation of what "doshu" actually means is factually inaccurate and, with absolute respect, if you had contact with Japanese instructors within Aikikai circles you would know that.

    The term "doshu" can be interpreted as either "Master of the way" or Keeper of the way".

    Doshu (道主) is in aikido, a hereditary title (literally 'Master of the Way') denoting the head of the Aikikai and the figurehead of aikido.

    Three men have so far held this role:

    Morihei Ueshiba, from the title's first use to 1969.

    Kisshomaru Ueshiba, from 1969 to 1999.

    Moriteru Ueshiba, from 1999 to present.

    When the founder of aikido, Morihei Ueshiba, died in 1969, his son Kisshomaru became the second Doshu. When Kisshomaru died in 1999, his son (and so Morihei's grandson) Moriteru, took the role.

    This section was edited out of the existing post by a site administrator
    Your post 'informing' your members of the meaning of the term "doshu" is exactly the type of misinformed data which creates an underlying misunderstanding of Budo and its meaning.

    Forgive me for being rude Sensei but if you yourself had any respect for Japanese tradition and or etiquette, you wouldn't have even considered using the term Doshu. In fact, I find your attitude toward yourself and the things you’ve stated about others here, and in other threads on this website to be both contradictory and somewhat conceited.

    I haven’t brought “Politics” to this website, I brought an experienced opinion, an opinion which you saw as an opportunity to slag-off because I’ve only studied for “…nearly 20 years” additionally, I see your posts as overly and intentionally aggressive. Perhaps excising a degree of “humility” yourself toward not only a fellow Budoka, but a visitor to your association’s website, might have created a much more favourable overview of who and what you’re about in the BKJA.

    This section was left in place
    I'm REALLY honestly sorry I posted in this forum, not because I wish to appear 'holier than tho' but because the more I post, the more I appear to be challenging people within an organisation to which I no connections.

    This section was edited out of the existing post
    I was genuinely interested in attending the “Beyond Basics” seminar but, following the events which have unfolded on and off this website, I am in not doubt I would learn absolutely nothing from it …
    This section was left in place
    …so with this in mind I say a genuine thank you to everyone and fairwell.

    Would an admin please be so kind as to remove my account.

    I will trouble you no further
    Kind regards for a last time.

    ===

    I additionally presented the following breakdown to Mr. McLean via email…

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Dave Humm
    Sent: 28 October 2005 14:53
    To: 'Leslie MacLean'
    Subject: RE: Aikido in Great Britain - a potted history [Revisited]

    Dear Mr. McLean,

    You will recall I contacted you recently as part of my research in to British Aikido and students training under Abbe Kenshiro Sensei.

    Let me begin by saying that I am deeply saddened by the events unfolding on the BKJA forums and, as I now note, the thread has been deleted, I find that particular point says volumes about the internal integrity of the organisation to which you belong. I accept that as owners of the forums, the BKJA has the right to do as they see fit with entries and threads made there however, removing posts under these circumstances rather than providing justification of one’s position serves to raise people’s eyebrows and cause suspicion as to why it cannot defend its own position when challenged with very simple questions.

    For this reason I have chosen to write to you directly so there can be no confusion over what is said henceforth.

    I have been researching British Aikido now for some five years, during that time I have had the pleasure and honour to meet with and discuss British Aikido with many of the initial pioneers, sadly the only person I haven’t been able to talk with is Ken Williams Sensei however, during my time researching Aikido here in the UK I have made direct contacts with individuals and organisations both here, in the US and in Japan. These contacts have made it very easy for me to verify historical facts pertaining to British Aikido and the people involved in it. This naturally includes you from the information you freely gave to me in your email dated 15th October 2005.

    As a result of the clarification which has been brought to my attention, I present to you this data and the sources of that information which, if you wish to challenge any of the information contained herein, I invite you to make contact with the individuals concerned whom I am sure will be happy to discuss this situation.

    I note that the BJKA offers instruction in a montage of sword arts (I’ve read that there is a DVD containing this material so presumably it is also taught to members.) One aspect of this DVD contains forms (according to the BJKA site) of “Katori Ryu”. The ONLY authorized instructor of Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto Ryu in the UK is Mr. Michael Jay. Please feel free to email Mr. Jay who will be happy to confirm that no one with the BKJA is authorized to teach or represent any aspect of Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto Ryu. His email is michaeljay@michaeljay.demon.co.uk

    Just to ensure that there wasn’t an American connection to this Koryu and the BKJA, I also made contact with the US representative Phil Relnick, again please feel free to make contact with Mr. Relnick who will likewise inform you he has no knowledge of the BKJA and they do not possess authorization to teach Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto Ryu prelnick@comcast.net

    When you informed me that you were a holder of a 7th dan Aikikai certificate I contacted the Aikikai Yudansha secretary. Bizarrely not only does the Aikikai not know you, but the only legitimate 7th dan holder in the UK is Minarou Kanetsuka Sensei – As a point of note, it would be highly unlikely the Aikikai or any of their Shihan would promote a UK student to the same grade as the official Japanese representative; least of all a person (you) whom is not presently a member of the Aikikai or International Aikido Federation. Again please feel free to email the Chairman of the IAF Dr Peter Goldsbury to establish those facts for yourself. pag@mocha.ocn.ne.jp

    If indeed Noro Sensei was responsible for issuing any of your Yudansha menjo unless it is signed by either the founder, his son or his grandson, you do not hold a legitimate Aikikai recognised menjo, and respectfully you should not be leading people to believe otherwise.

    Additionally I am informed by Dr. Goldsbury in Japan that Hombu dojo has a comprehensive database of all Yudansha certification, perhaps you might like to clarify with Hombu directly the providence of your certification, you can contact the Aikikai Yudansha Secretary using the following email address : aikido@aikikai.or.jp further to this, in relation to your ridiculous public statement about Ueshiba Doshu considering setting up a new organisation following his father’s way. Again contact the Chairman of the IAF who will set you straight on this entirely misguided matter.

    You also informed me that you were a member of the British Judo Olympic squad, This I’m very recently informed by a member of that team that your claim of involvement is a complete fabrication, again I invite you to confirm that and other facts pertaining to this point with Mr. Gerrard Gyngell gerrard.gyngell@btinternet.com

    As a student of Budo I can assure you I take very seriously the study which I undertake, when I read material presented in the public domain which would otherwise lead people to believe what you (in this case) say, it is only naturally to expect that someone will eventually attempt to substantiate those statements.

    I am not the “BUDO POLICE” I really don’t care a great deal about how you perform your Aikido, you do as you do in your own organisation, that has absolutely nothing to do with me as a person however, and as with the statements which sparked off this whole matter, if a person claims to be teaching Aikikai aikido, and what they’re presenting is so far removed from it, it is only natural for inquisitive people to question what is presented before them.

    I’m sure you and I could, if we had the inclination, debate till the cows come home the semantics of what constitutes “Aikikai” style. This is a fruitless endeavour. What I will say to you sensei is that Aikido has developed 10 fold since it was introduced to the United Kingdom 50 years ago, and I’m not referring to people here in the UK developing it, I’m talking about the Japanese Shihan to whom we look to for guidance, you seem to be stuck in an era which has long gone, many technical aspects of technique have been so refined today that what you demonstrated in the clips on the BKJA website are not Aikikai aikido (even if it once was) and to call it the same is in my opinion a misrepresentation of what Aikikai organisations and students are doing today under the auspices of the Doshu (Ueshiba Sensei)

    The history of British Aikido is fairly well documented, indeed there are enough of those early pioneers still living to be able to substantiate first hand fact from fiction. As a person looking to write a definitive historical reference on British Aikido it is my job to ensure I detail only factual and historical data, I have to say with all due respect, the information upon your good self appears to be entirely different to what you have either presented to me personally or written publicly on the BKJA forums.

    If I am doing you a serious injustice through coincidence that each of the pieces of information presented to me by those considered authorities in their arts is incorrect, I offer you my unconditional apology however; from what I’ve read thus far I cannot see how these independent sources of information can be coincidentally incorrect.

    Until proven otherwise I will form my own considered opinion on what has been presented to me and, leave the above contained information for your own recognisance. I will end by saying on a personal note, as someone claiming to have studied under Abbe Sensei and all that Kyu Shin Do encompassed, your integrity as a Budoka appears seriously questionable.

    Kind regards

    Dave Humm
    ***

    … it is important to also note that as a result of my enquires I started to receive emails from both present and past members of Mr. McLean’s Aikido section with the Association. I have not included this correspondence because I feel it would serve not factual purpose as I’ve not attempted to validate much of the ‘hearsay’ presented to me however; one contact, a former BKJA member stated that he had witnessed first hand the “antics” of Mr. Mclean, that indeed Mr. Nowell was an aikido student of Mr. Garry Williams (the former Technical Director of the BKJA) who was “hounded out” of the organisation to make way for Mr. Mclean. I have no way of conclusively validating this information however, I am informed by Mr. Nowell on behalf of Mr. Williams (his Sensei) that it was in fact Mr. Williams who awarded McLean his 7th dan as a result of a request from the Principal of the organisation Mr. O’Connor. Mr. Nowell wrote….

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Aaron Nowell
    Sent: 23 October 2005 17:36
    To: dave-humm@ntlworld.com
    Subject: Les McLean

    Hi Dave;

    Les was NOT graded 7th dan by Noro sensei…I am getting you the details. Also ask K. O’Connor who graded him first dan Aikido, or Ross Noble 2nd… God I am going to enjoy this. I was “removed” because I had spoken out. I have twice been banned from their boards and vilified for doing just what you are about to.

    Peace to you;

    Aaron
    ***

    Dave Humm… I also received this email from Darren Westwood

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Darren Westood
    Sent: 24 October 2005 15:42
    To: dave-humm@ntlworld.com
    Subject: McLean Sensei ?

    Hi Dave,

    Darren is my name (Darren Westwood to be precise, 5th Dan Ryukyu Tode-Jutsu).

    You may know of Gary Williams (he was Technical Director of the BKJA before Les [whatever his name is] and he really was one of the good guys (8th Dan Hanshi and really painful) He was hounded out so that Les could take over and that kind of **** doesn't sit well with me.

    Les is now issuing certificates which claim Aikikai Hombu affiliation - someone called him on it recently and something was mumbled about him "thinking" that one of his "teachers" was Aikikai affiliated and that the affiliation automatically passed down to subsequent students.

    A real lack of understanding for an 8th Dan, don't you think?

    The proviso here, of course, is if you're pretending to be something you're not in order to gain payment from unsuspecting newbies (as Les does).

    I'm not suggesting he's not a good Aikidoka but neither am I suggesting that he IS - I'm not Aikidoka so I'm not qualified to judge - what I am saying is that he is claiming affiliation to an organisation (THE organisation is Aikido terms) who may or may not accept him into their ranks but he IS NOT, right NOW, an affiliate.

    All the best,

    Darren.

    … In respect of Mr. Westwood’s comment about Mr. McLean issuing “Aikikai certificates” I also have a written statement from a current BKJA Aikido member who additionally corroborates this point. Mr. McLean was asked about the providence of a certificate he had issued to a student, and his reply was that is was indeed an Aikikai certificate, by “Aikikai” Mr. McLean was intimating that is was legitimised by the Aikikai in Japan and thereby the Doshu M. Ueshiba Sensei.

    It is also worthy of noting that, since my enquiries I have had several additional emails from people within the BKJA whom have previous held suspicions regarding the authenticity of Mr. McLean.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Aaron Nowell
    Sent: 28 October 2005 18:30
    To: Dave Humm
    Subject: BKJA Thread

    Hi Dave;

    What a wonderful letter to Mr. Hart. He changed his name some years ago and added the Dr., although I think his only degree is through an open college…not sure on this though.

    Here is what I know at the moment, Gary Williams is away in Wales at the moment and hasn’t sent me all the details yet. He, Les, did attend numerous courses Abbe Sensei gave in and around Cardiff, and I think that Abbe did stay with him once. I am fairly sure he did go to Japan, though what he did there and if he studied Martial Arts at all is vague. All this was done under the last name of Leslie Hart.

    He and John Davies wrote and photographed a very good book on Judo and Kyu Shin Do. The foreword was written by The Reverend Ken Owen from Berry. This book was never published and I have managed to abscond the only copy in existence. I think this was in or around 1980-1981. In this Mr. Hart claims : to be the representative for the KOKUSAI BUDOIN in Wales, to have been The Chief Instructor at the Yama Aiyu Budokai in Barry, and at the Hensol Budokan, that he was Welsh Judo Champion in 1965, Midland Area Karate Champion in 1966, and a Kendo semi-finalist at the Royal Albert Hall in 1964. Contemporaries would be Stan Griffiths and Frank Baldwin.

    Gary Williams started out as a judo student of Les and then moved on to Aikido training as often as he could with Abbe, Nakazono, Noro, Chiba. Williams Sensei (not related to Ken at all) was graded up to 4th by Nakazono I believe and at least once by Mochizuki (sp). I will get you the details. Les’s 7th Dan was awarded by Gary Williams at the behest of K. O’Connor, Douche…opps Doshu (sorry, can’t help it sometimes). Gary had received his 8th Dan through the Amateur Martial Arts Association, http://www.amauk.co.uk/ and that is where Les also got his…

    Gary Sensei has told me this story and I will tell you, so this makes it third hand…after Gary issued Les a courtesy grade from the BKJA Les went and bought a plaque had it engraved Aikikai France (or Europe, I forget the exact details) and then printed himself a very nice certificate and signed it with a number of masters names.

    Gary Williams was the founder of the ARF, in an ironic turn Gary Sensei became Mr. Hart’s teacher. Mr. Williams’s story is another one of those twists of politics.

    Another irony in all this is that Shane Riley, Brian (Skippy) Whipps, M. Sheridan, Simon Ells and many others owe a lot of their early training to Gary Williams, who with an over inflated sense of modesty (as much as I love the man he is a Prima Dona) always deferred to Les as his first teacher, and would ask him to come and grade his students... as a result they always looked to Les as Sensei… funny ain’t it! LOL!!

    I have videos of these meetings and instruction periods. Shane Riley is the only one to this date that has been willing to speak with me about this.

    I will forward any other information or history I can find ASAP.

    All the posts on the BKJA can also be found at www.budokan.org . Look in the Golden Eddies…some of it make amusing reading and you will see that this has been a long fight for me.

    Peace to you

    Aaron
    ***

    Dave Humm… Following my email to Mr. Mclean I also received an email from Vicky Ann Parkin whom I now understand is the partner of Mr. Mclean. She wrote…

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Vicky Ann Parkin
    Sent: 28 October 2005 15:31
    To: dave@aikido-database.co.uk
    Subject: Please read your private messages BKJ

    Dave

    Please read your private messages on the BKJ, I would also say that would like you consider the safety of my children and Les's children BEFORE you go diggin about in the past, you really have no idea what you are doing here.

    Vicky
    ***

    … I replied in the first instance with…

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Dave Humm
    Sent: 28 October 2005 16:00
    To: 'Vicky Ann Parkin'
    Subject: RE: Please read your private messages BKJ

    Dear Vicky,

    Firstly, I no longer have any desire to revisit your forums,

    Secondly, I have to day emailed Mr. McLean directly to provide the information which was freely provided to me in respect of what he’s stated to me personally in an email dated 14th October and what has been previously present on the BKJ Forums/website.

    Thirdly, anyone who attempts to make what may appear to be false representation either grade, experience and or lineage should expect at some point to be challenged. I enclose for your information the email I’ve sent today to Mr. McLean.

    Remember I am not accusing anyone of anything, merely reporting the information which is provided to me in response to statements made from Mr. Mclean himself. If his statements are incorrect, Mr. McLean only has himself to blame.

    You strongly suggest that I am about to cause serious safety issues with regards to your family as a result of my so called “digging about”, Let me assure you that my research is impartial and factual and it is not my intention to character assassinate Mr. McLean (whom I also know was previously known as Les Hart) This is why that information has been provided to him through email and not publicly through any website. I must stress my point however; Mr. McLean draws direct attention to himself through the nature of things he says about his martial arts history. It stands to reason that if he (or you) has a past which needs to be carefully controlled, he should equally control the nature of the things which draw exactly the kind of attention you seem to wish to avoid.

    Perhaps, with due respect you should advise Mr. McLean to curb the attention drawing statements about his alleged history.

    Kind regards

    Dave Humm

    … I later replied having read the message which had been left for me…

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Dave Humm
    Sent: 28 October 2005 19:09
    To: 'Vicky Ann Parkin'
    Cc: 'sensei1940@yahoo.co.uk'
    Subject: RE: Les McLean

    Dear Vicky,

    Having taken your request on board I did indeed revisit the BKJA forum and read the message you kindly left for me.

    I have another couple of points to put forward.

    Any research I undertake is in direct connection to Mr. McLean’s martial arts background nothing more. I am entirely disinterested in any other aspect of his personal life which has nothing to do with anyone other than himself however; you yourself again however draw direct attention to a point which clearly, unless someone mentioned it, I would have no knowledge thereof.

    Interestingly you mention Mr. McLean’s grades. So I will retort.

    I have it on good authority that Mr. McLean’s 7th dan grade was in fact issued to him from a gentleman by the name of Gary Williams, and not as Mr. McLean would have me believe by Noro Sensei. Perhaps I should write to Mr. Williams and present the same information to him in respect of Mr. McLean ? In doing so asking if he did in fact issue the certificate or grade in question.

    Additionally, *IF* said certificate was indeed issued by Noro Sensei, and, I am doing Mr. McLean a disservice simply ask Mr. McLean if he’d be kind enough to forward to me three pieces of information.

    1. The date of issue of the certificate
    2. The Aikikai registration number
    3. The name of the person on certificate authenticating the menjo (this would either be, the founder of Aikido, the 2nd Doshu or the present Doshu)

    These three simple bits of information appear on certificates issued under the auspices of the Aikikai, the format (layout) of the certificate may have undergone some changes over the years however, the constant in all cases are these three pieces of information. I do not need to see the information or the certificate first hand, this information can be forwarded by email however; I’ve already established from the Yudansha Secretary in Japan that they’ve never heard of either Les Hart or Les McLean holding a 7th dan. This single piece of information alone clarifies that Mr. McLean’s claim of Aikikai certification is nothing more than an untruth. Does that affect how Mr. O’Connor sees Mr. McLean ? I seriously doubt it, but I am simply illustrating to you and Mr. McLean that just about anyone can validate claimed or supposed grades.

    As I’ve respectfully said in my last email, if Mr. McLean stops making statements which draw attention to him, that attention ceases. It’s a simple mater of cause and effect.

    You will note I have copied this email to Mr. McLean himself.

    ***

    …Vicky Ann Parkin replied using Mr. McLean’s email account…

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Leslie MacLean
    Sent: 28 October 2005 22:53
    To: dave-humm@ntlworld.com
    Subject: RE: Les McLean

    Dear Dave

    Thanks for the quick reply. Let me try to clarify something with you, Leslies certificates are not for general circulation, he was advised via the MOD to take a course of action to protect his family, I am not prepared to send anything to you however, I can tell you that his grades have been verified and accepted, Tom Hibbert seems happy so does the IMAF, Kokusai Budo-in (signatory on these certs is Naruhukio Higashikuni).

    Your "research" into Leslie now presents a problem which could mean we have to move as a family, no I am not being dramatic this threat is very real, we live with it not you.

    Secondly let me explain something about "Gary Williams" who was originally a pupil of Les' for 5 years, hardly one to offer a grade to his sensei, so I have no idea who your source is, but they are feeding you nonsense, further Gary used Les as his accreditation whilst Les was resident in

    Wales, when he came back to the Midlands area(having left Mr Williams as a 2nd Dan) Mr Williams seemed to have blossomed and presented himself to people as 8th Dan, nonsense of course reputedly graded by Moitsuzuki, also nonsense, It hardly seems credible then to think having had a confrontation Dr MacLean would accept or desire anything from Mr Williams.

    I will say that Les's grades began in 64 with Sensei Noro, through Williams,Abbe(x 2) Chiba,Noro again, AIkikai, Saito,Norro and his 8th Dan in 2004. These Sir are facts, it is a matter of indifference whether you accept them or not. As a researcher it is sad that you have missed the opportunity to see the photographs and archives that Les has gather over the 45 years he has been invovlved in martial arts.

    I am sorry that you see fit to demand he gives account to you.

    I will point out however my personal feelings with regard to the potential threat you pose to our safety , I must, given the circumstances seek further advice on the matter through the regiment. You are Sir a little too impressed with yourself, with respect you do not know any of the people you have made such sweeping statements about, and Les was welcoming and open when you contacted him, had he anything to hide that would not have been the case. You have mentioned Gerry in correspondence, Les and Gerry know each other well from Grange Farm days and talk regularly, you could ask Brian Whipps about Les but I suspect Skippy would have harsh words for you should you question the validity of Les grades.

    I am truly sorry that you have not taken time to come and see for yourself what the BKJ is about, and how hard they work together to promote, non political Martial arts, or that you felt unable to speak to Les direct BEFORE all this public fuss, which serves no ones interests. Unfortunately this sort of pattern infests many organisations and is not limited to Martial arts, yes you have the right to complete your history, what you do not have the right to do is place people under the threat of physical harm to achieve your ends, I had hoped you would take on board what I have written and understand, or even speak directly to Kevin O'Connor who knows the situation.

    At this point I do not feel I have anything further to say to you, and would hope that you would draw a line under this matter as quickly as possible.

    Vicky
    ***

    …I also noted from the BKJA forum a statement from one of their administrators relating to “Otani Omori Ryu” and this being a style of Iaido created by Otani Tomio Sensei, I contacted Mr. Steve Otani for clarification of this matter…

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Steve Otani
    Sent: 30 October 2005 17:17
    To: dave-humm@ntlworld.com
    Subject: Re: Hello from the East Coast Aiki Dojo

    Dear Dave,

    Thanks for the kind hospitality that was shown to my father, Bill Stopps, my brother and I at the

    Abbe Sensei seminar. It was pleasing to see that the memory of Abbe Sensei is still alive.

    Regarding the matter of Mr. Hart/McLean and "Otani Omori Ryu" I will have to speak to people about this and get back to you.

    I, personally, have no knowledge of Mr. McLean, however I will need to speak to my father about this.

    As for "Otani Omori Ryu" I'm fairly certain that this is an invention of someone else. It is not the name of the Iaijustu that Tomio practiced and I think it highly unlikely that he would name a new Koryu "Otani...". However, I'm not best placed to speak about this matter with absolute authority. I will speak with Tomio's assistant, as he can speak with absolute authority about Tomio's Iaijutsu, then get back to you.

    All The Best.

    Steve Otani
    ***

    …I also made contact with the Japanese section of the International Martial Arts Federation in order to attempt validation of Mr. McLean’s claims, The IMAF Secretary confirmed…

    -----Original Message-----
    From: IMAF International Section
    Sent: 06 November 2005 08:22
    To: Dave Humm
    Subject: Re: Japan-General Question -- International Martial Arts Federation --

    Dear Sir,

    Thank you for your 30 October 2005 message.

    Regarding Mr. Leslie McLean:

    Please understand that there are two organizations that utilize the name ‘IMAF’.

    I.M.A.F in Europe, and Kokusai Budoin, IMAF with its headquarters in Tokyo, Japan.

    Unfortunately, there is no way to substantiate Mr. Mclean’s claims to having received certificates signed by Prince Naruhiko Higashikuni without reviewing the actual documents.

    Kokusai Budoin, IMAF did issue high ranking certificates signed by Prince Higashikuni (the Honorary President and Senior Advisor) until his passing in 1990. Please note that this practice ended fifteen years ago.

    There is no record of Kevin O’Connor having been appointed as a Technical Advisor to Kokusai Budoin, IMAF.

    Please check with I.M.A.F. Europe for further information: http://www.imaf-europe.com/

    Finally, Kokusai Budoin, IMAF has no direct connection with the Dai Nippon Butokukai or its representatives, Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto ryu or its representatives, the International Aikido Federation or its representatives, or Bushi Karate-Jitsu Association or its representatives.

    I trust the above has proven helpful.

    Cordially,

    International Section
    Kokusai Budoin, IMAF
    ***

    … Following the confirmation from the IMAF Japan, I followed their advice and made contact with their UK representative. In addition to my telephone conversation and emails with Mr. Jay, I received the following email…

    -----Original Message-----
    From: M JAY
    Sent: 31 October 2005 11:19
    To: Dave Humm
    Subject: -- Mr. Les McLean and Bushi Karate-Jitsu Assn --

    Dear Mr. Humm,

    You are correct in saying that I am the only authorized teacher of Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu in the UK and I thank you for making that point.

    I have no knowledge of Mr. McLean or his organization but I do know that there are some small splinter groups in the U.K. purporting to practice Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu but they are in no way qualified to do so. I have seen video of some of these and was not impressed.

    I also have no knowledge of the BKJA or the DVD of its so-called 'sword arts'.

    May I also say that neither the style of, nor the grammar in, Mr. McLean's reply to you inspire confidence.

    It may be of interest that this year someone was advertising himself as a teacher of Katori Shinto Ryu in the U.K. This was dealt with to all our satisfaction by the Embassy of Japan after I spoke to the Ambassador.

    Since beginning my training in Japan in 1974, and having trained continuously there ever since, travelling to Japan over 300 times, I must say that I have been disappointed with many of the British so-called martial arts associations which I have seen. I do not associate with any of them.

    Yours sincerely,

    Michael Jay

    … The following transcript was sent to me by a member of the administrative team running www.MartialArtsPlanet.com I understand that Mr. McLean made contact with the moderator as a result of a post made by his stepson, this post breached the Terms of Use policy for the website and was removed.

    It is interesting to note that between the biography sent to me and the information sent to the moderator of the MAP website, one or two aspects of the data appears erroneous, indeed in contradiction to each other.

    In McLean’s biographical account sent to me, he states he went to Japan “…in the wake of the 1964 Olympics” The construction of this particular statement strongly suggests that McLean travelled to Japan *after* 1964 yet, in the information sent to the moderator of the MAP website, McLean explains that he alleges to have travelled to Japan in 1963, additionally McLean continues to explain that he hoped to get in to the UK Judo team for the Olympics. The two statements are in complete contradiction of each other.

    Additionally McLean cites a number of prominent unchi-deshi of the founder, in his biography to me he stated he received … “instruction at the Aikikai under the direction of Sensei Yamada.” Yet again we see ambiguity between the two supposed transcripts, in his brief sent to the MAP website he states when at the Aikikai he received training from… “Kasaoe sensei and a sprightly Kisshomaru Uyeshiba.”

    Interestingly, if McLean travelled to Japan after 1964 as he suggests in one version of his background, he would not have seen or trained with Yamada Sensei as he had left for the United States in ’64 and founded the New York Aikikai.

    Finally we see another example where McLean attempts to portray himself as a representative of the Aikikai – This particular point has been conclusively refuted as untrue by the Aikikai themselves.

    The transcript reads…

    Hi,…Aikimac!

    Just to put the matter in some perspective, I was a student of Kenshiro Abbe, of the Butokukai, Kyoto, and went to Japan in 1963 with letters of marque for that historic institution, and a hoped to get into the UK judo team for the Olympics! I made the squad, but didn,t compete! However, as my sensei was a real all-rounder (at the time an 8th.Dan Judo and a 6th.Dan Aikido (and a direct pupil of O-Sensei) I paid my repects at the Aikikai, where I met both Koichi Tohei and O-Sensei. Because of my connections with Abbe sensei, I was allowed to train with Saito sensei at Iwama, before coning back to the Aikikai to train with Kasaoe sensei, and a spritely Kisshomaru Uyeshiba. I stayed in Japan for nearly four years, before getting a little homesick and returning to my native South Wales. My teacher returned to Japan in 1974, and died in Tokushima on 5th.December 1985.

    It was he that recommended that I go to Paris and train with his friends Masamichi Noro and Nakazono sensei, and I have enjoyed their aquaintance ever since. I have also had the pleasure of training under Chiba sensei (who now resides in San Diego) and Saito sensei when he made his frequent visits to Europe.

    I am now in the course of founding a major dojo complex here in Telford (named after the Butokukai, and dedicated to Abbe sensei) and hope to open it before Christmas.

    I am the Technical Director for Aikikdo to the BKJA, and represent Aikikai Europe in this part of the world, through the medium of the North Midlands Aikikai.

    Well,that's me accouinted for, now how about you?

    Dr. Leslie MacLean, 8th.Dan Aikido, 7th.Dan Judo, 4th.Dan Karate, 2nd.Dan Kendo, 1st.Dan Iaido.



    Bulleted Points


    Mr. McLean claims to have been an aikido student of Abbe Kenshiro Sensei however no evidence appears to exist to substantiate that McLean was anything other than an ‘occasional’ aikido student, indeed it has been confirmed that Abbe Sensei’s students (of all the varying arts included in Kyu Shin Do) would “dabble” in what ever Abbe Sensei taught during seminars.

    In both his written biography to me personally and to a larger extent on the BKJA website, Mr. McLean and his partner Vicky Parkin have clearly indicated that he represents the Aikikai through what they described as “Aikikai Europe” Additionally Mr. McLean states both publicly and to me in writing that he is the holder of a “Aikikai 7th dan” certificate. Both of these claims have been conclusively refuted by the Aikikai Yudansha Secretary as untrue.

    The International Martial Arts Federation-Japan “Kokusai Budoin” cannot confirm McLean’s claim of certification signed by Prince Higashikuni.

    A member of the British Olympic Judo Squad has confirmed that he has absolutely no recollection of Mr. McLean as ever being in that squad despite him having very clear memories of those days.

    It has been confirmed by two sources that the Bushi Karate Jitsu Association has absolutely no authorisation to teach, reproduce or represent Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto Ryu.

    A member of the Otani family has stated that he has no knowledge of what has been described as “Otani Omori Ryu” which; according to at least one member of the BKJA was a formation of existing Omori iai waza as interpreted by Otani Tomio Sensei

    Despite the fact that according to Mr. McLean’s partner, his certification exists and, according to Mr. McLean his certification will hang “proudly” within the halls of the “Butokukai” in Telford. When asked for clarification of these very documents, these certificates suddenly become “…not for general circulation”

    In every single case of the enquiries made to substantiate Mr. McLean’s martial arts biography, not one single positive confirmation has been made in his favour.

    Footnote:

    Much of this information has been presented to Mr. Mclean whereupon he was invited to challenge the data with the sources directly. I have not accused Mr. McLean of anything, merely presented to him the responses to my enquiries, and my opinion thereafter.
    All grammar and spelling errors are ‘as is’ as sent to me by the respective people.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler
  3. sochin101 is offline
    sochin101's Avatar

    Graviora Manent

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lincolnshire, England
    Posts
    6,888

    Posted On:
    11/29/2006 7:08pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Dave,
    Great post, enthralling investigation.
    I have a couple of questions:
    1]Somewhere in the middle of the gargantuan post, there was a transcript of an email from Peter Goldsbury... is he the chap from E-budo and has also posted on here? The philosophy professor from Japan?
    2]Vicky Parkin mentions something about having to move if details get out... something about taking advice from the MOD... did I miss something in the write-up? Is that something you can elaborate on?
  4. DCS is offline
    DCS's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,031

    Posted On:
    11/29/2006 8:00pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice work Dave.

    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    1]Somewhere in the middle of the gargantuan post, there was a transcript of an email from Peter Goldsbury... is he the chap from E-budo and has also posted on here? The philosophy professor from Japan?
    Yes, the same guy (but i don't remember him posting here).
  5. Letum is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom.
    Posts
    898

    Posted On:
    11/29/2006 8:05pm


     Style: Boxing.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Telford is not too far from here, I think. "Centre of Excellence" eh?
  6. Shinshoryu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Absurdisburgo
    Posts
    294

    Posted On:
    11/29/2006 8:07pm


     Style: Aikido

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huge, interesting nonetheless. My question, why do you bother going through all of this?. Good that there's someone doing it but, is there any particular reason?.
  7. sochin101 is offline
    sochin101's Avatar

    Graviora Manent

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lincolnshire, England
    Posts
    6,888

    Posted On:
    11/29/2006 8:08pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    Yes, the same guy (but i don't remember him posting here).
    he posted on the "UK Soke" thread, and also in Newbietown, where we all learned a lot about Japanese Creation Theory.

    I think his username was something like PA Goldsbury.
  8. sochin101 is offline
    sochin101's Avatar

    Graviora Manent

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lincolnshire, England
    Posts
    6,888

    Posted On:
    11/29/2006 8:14pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinshoryu
    Huge, interesting nonetheless. My question, why do you bother going through all of this?. Good that there's someone doing it but, is there any particular reason?.
    If you google the names of some of the previous investigated subjects, you end up at the relevant threads here (try googling Coda Scott, for instance... top result= the expose done by some of the site members about that shitbag), so it's good information for people who might be searching for a club etc.

    Also, if you have a legitimate grade in a martial art, wouldn't you be pissed off if someone promoted themselves, claiming lineage and training that they might not be entitled to?

    Also, it's kinda what goes on around here.
    I suppose it's like posting "why's you climb that?" on a mountain-climbing forum.
  9. Shinshoryu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Absurdisburgo
    Posts
    294

    Posted On:
    11/29/2006 9:12pm


     Style: Aikido

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    If you google the names of some of the previous investigated subjects, you end up at the relevant threads here (try googling Coda Scott, for instance... top result= the expose done by some of the site members about that shitbag), so it's good information for people who might be searching for a club etc.

    Also, if you have a legitimate grade in a martial art, wouldn't you be pissed off if someone promoted themselves, claiming lineage and training that they might not be entitled to?

    Also, it's kinda what goes on around here.
    I suppose it's like posting "why's you climb that?" on a mountain-climbing forum.
    Yes, I agree those people are a disgrace and everything else. I just wondered why he wanted to climb this particular mountain, if there was a reason apart from exposing the truth when it is up to you.
  10. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,607

    Posted On:
    11/29/2006 9:24pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinshoryu
    Huge, interesting nonetheless. My question, why do you bother going through all of this?. Good that there's someone doing it but, is there any particular reason?.
    Check out Tiger Klay.

    One less fraud is one less fraud.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.