and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 10:15am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    I'm simply defending the posabillity that kung fu is a capable fighting art.
    Kinda sucks when you figure out something you've put a lot of time and effort into isn't what you thought it would be doesn't it? it's ok. Lotta people come to that realisation, myself included. I could taken wrestling instead of football in school. Could have gone to the judo club instead of the krappy krotty place (omg free gi with 1 year contract! what a deal!).

Doesn't matter now. All you can do is move forward from where you are. So yeah, sure it's possible you'll get what you want. But it's almost certain you will not.

You can do kung-fu for a lot of reasons, hell my MT teacher is doing wu-shu cause he thinks it's fun, but for pure fighting there are much better choices. Rather than debate this truth on the internet you should focus on full contact styles. Do tai-chi when your old.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 10:16am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    This debate was draged over from the noob forum, as to not get off topic. So, as I was saying. I am origionaly a student of Okinawan karate, and used to compete full contact, I just switched to kung fu within the last three years, and I have to say that I didn't ever think that Tai Chi was anything but dancing either. But I have gained alot of respect for the styles effectivness sense I've seen it in action. I don't consider myself a Tai chi guy, I do practice it, but not like I practice the other styles offerd at the school. I honestly don't think I could fight effectivly with kung fu yet, and thats why I still train with MMA fighters, but I can see the potintial of the style. One of my teachers says: " With Tai Chi it takes 10 years to open the door. With Mantis 10 weeks you can open the door, walk down the driveway and check the mail." And I would say with karate 10 weeks you could, walk down the drive way, check the mail, and walk to the supermarket. Anyway, I prctice kung fu because I can see potential with long-term trainning. Sorry about the rambling.
    What style of TAi Chi do you practice?

What type of Kung Fu?

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 10:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm really a fairly nice guy, so it's probably not going where you thought it was...

The logical fallacy is assuming that something with a long learning curve becomes, at some point, more effective. A long time to master something does not, in and of itself, make that something useful in situations out of its context. You can spend years learning how to draw and still paint badly. I'll posit that kung fu, as it is commonly taught, is not about fighting (and I'm rather a TMA guy), while MMA is. If you take someone who has been studying kung fu exclusively for 15 years (certainly a upper level, right?) and a professional boxer/kickboxer/MMA fighter with a 15 year fight history, I don't see much of a question who will fight more effectively. The fighter, because that is ALL they've trained to do. Might kung fu have something to offer? It *might*, but it might offer less about fighting and more about moving - which is why some NFL players study ballet. It doesn't make them better at running, catching a ball, or blocking someone.

I'm simply defending the posabillity that kung fu is a capable fighting art.
    I am of the opinion that it all depends on how you train. If you honestly resist and fight in class, than chances are pretty good that it can be effective on the street.

Now, I'm not saying anyone here is closed minded either
    I don't think anyone would say that no one on this site is close minded...

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 10:19am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good then I will just say it and we can get on with our life:

10 MMA will still own a 10yr Taijiquan/Tai Chi Chuan (proper name becuase there is acutally a difference between Taiji and Taijiquan).
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 10:21am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    Good then I will just say it and we can get on with our life:

10 MMA will still own a 10yr Taijiquan/Tai Chi Chuan (proper name becuase there is acutally a difference between Taiji and Taijiquan).
    Not for us REAL Americans silly rabbit.:new_uklia

Mr. I travel the world and no more **** than anybody.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 10:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tang Lang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm at work, and I gotta get some stuff done. I'll post on this later, thanks for the heated debate all, and no hard feelings. Look forward to hearing from you all thurs.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 10:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't believe there was any heated debate, but I'm always glad to be of service (as long as it doesn't inconvenience me).

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 10:49am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Kinda sucks when you figure out something you've put a lot of time and effort into isn't what you thought it would be doesn't it? it's ok. Lotta people come to that realisation, myself included. I could taken wrestling instead of football in school. Could have gone to the judo club instead of the krappy krotty place (omg free gi with 1 year contract! what a deal!).

Doesn't matter now. All you can do is move forward from where you are. So yeah, sure it's possible you'll get what you want. But it's almost certain you will not.

You can do kung-fu for a lot of reasons, hell my MT teacher is doing wu-shu cause he thinks it's fun, but for pure fighting there are much better choices. Rather than debate this truth on the internet you should focus on full contact styles. Do tai-chi when your old.
    Watch the 'old' sh*t. I'm 52 and do BJJ. 3 months so far.:new_scatt :new_scatt

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 11:00am

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    Watch the 'old' sh*t. I'm 52 and do BJJ. 3 months so far.:new_scatt :new_scatt
    You're too old, give up and start taking Tai Chi already, but do so soon, they're sticking you in an old peoples home next week.
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 12:43pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Mr. I travel the world and no more **** than anybody.
    Well except for spelling and grammar I'll agree with you ;)

TKD

PS - To the OPO on your original thread on MABS you suggested that your instructor was a good fighter and that this gives validity to your belief that TC is a viable fighting art. The problem is that you can not take atypical results as a means to establish the norm.

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast