Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 7:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tang Lang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

OK...hope this is the right forum.

This debate was draged over from the noob forum, as to not get off topic. So, as I was saying. I am origionaly a student of Okinawan karate, and used to compete full contact, I just switched to kung fu within the last three years, and I have to say that I didn't ever think that Tai Chi was anything but dancing either. But I have gained alot of respect for the styles effectivness sense I've seen it in action. I don't consider myself a Tai chi guy, I do practice it, but not like I practice the other styles offerd at the school. I honestly don't think I could fight effectivly with kung fu yet, and thats why I still train with MMA fighters, but I can see the potintial of the style. One of my teachers says: " With Tai Chi it takes 10 years to open the door. With Mantis 10 weeks you can open the door, walk down the driveway and check the mail." And I would say with karate 10 weeks you could, walk down the drive way, check the mail, and walk to the supermarket. Anyway, I prctice kung fu because I can see potential with long-term trainning. Sorry about the rambling.

and good morning to you too

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 8:28am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So how many times are you going to post this?

You want the truth? It's ****. If you don't do the MMA 5 (judo/bjj/MT/boxing/wrestling) or one of their close relatives (sambo) then you're wasting your life.

Yes, if you're bad enough dude, you could make anything work, tai chi, kung-fu, rescuing the president, but it still ****.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 8:33am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only posterd it again, because I was told that the last forum was the wrong one. And what makes you the say all be all of martial arts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 8:34am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    This debate was draged over from the noob forum, as to not get off topic. So, as I was saying. I am origionaly a student of Okinawan karate, and used to compete full contact, I just switched to kung fu within the last three years, and I have to say that I didn't ever think that Tai Chi was anything but dancing either. But I have gained alot of respect for the styles effectivness sense I've seen it in action. I don't consider myself a Tai chi guy, I do practice it, but not like I practice the other styles offerd at the school. I honestly don't think I could fight effectivly with kung fu yet, and thats why I still train with MMA fighters, but I can see the potintial of the style. One of my teachers says: " With Tai Chi it takes 10 years to open the door. With Mantis 10 weeks you can open the door, walk down the driveway and check the mail." And I would say with karate 10 weeks you could, walk down the drive way, check the mail, and walk to the supermarket. Anyway, I prctice kung fu because I can see potential with long-term trainning. Sorry about the rambling.
    That's fine if you feel that way...I'll throw you a bone here and even go along with the "Kung Fu is effective" thing...but you said it takes like 10 years, right? Why the hell would you want to spend 10 years learning how to properly defend yourself to "open the door" as you say...when you can do it in like...1 year training the "MMA 5" as stated above?

I prefer the economical use of my life...you know...not wasting 10 years on something that will reap the same rewards as something that I can do in 1...

BJJ Suckee

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 8:39am

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He thinks that after that 10 years he will be even better than an MMA person. Or after 20 years, etc. He thinks that at first the MMA people have the edge, but with years and years of practice the Kung Fuer will become much more effective at fighting because of what he sees and movies and what people who do Tai Chi keep telling him. If you don't agree you are not openminded.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 8:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Easy E, your main point (in both forums) seems to revolve around a learning curve. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying MMA has a fairly short learning curve until you can be an effective fighter, but the law of diminishing returns kicks in earlier (diminishing returns are essentially when you get less and less out of doing something for the same amount of time). Kung fu, on the other hand, has a much longer learning curve until you can become an effective fighter but the point at which you reach diminishing returns is far later than in MMA. Is that the crux of your argument?

I'll withhold my own comment until you confirm or deny my summary.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 8:53am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not saying anyone style is better then any other style. I agree that MMA is very effective, very early on..hence why I still train MMA. I enjoy kung fu, and having found a school where I belive there are some capable fighters there its a good addition on to what I already know, and what I still train. Now, I'm not saying anyone here is closed minded either, I'm sure you'va all had plenty of martial arts experiance to make the choices you've made in your style, I'm simply defending the posabillity that kung fu is a capable fighting art.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 8:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you agree or disagree with the way I tried to summarize your argument?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 8:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah...heh, I know where this is going.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 9:15am

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys, I told him to start a thread from his original posts in Newbietown.

Easy E, you'd have been fine continuing to post in the first thread, a mod would have just moved it.

You stated before that Tai Chi produced good fighters, can you expand upon this?

Can you also enlighten us to your opinions on the use of Chi/Ki in a Martial Arts/Self Defence/Fight context.

I'd also take that direct link to your dojo out of your header before Der Fuhrer spots it.
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast