Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2006 11:59pm

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training questions: getting in shape

I've decided recently that I want to get in better shape then I am. My current state is horrible. I have bad cardio, horrible flexability and average strength for my size (185lbs last time I checked, 5'5"). I figure I could lose 10lbs of fat easy, but fat loss isn't my primary reason for training (I just want it to be an unattended side effect, I loose weight pretty easily when my diet and workout are in order).

As of now I'm limited to one class of grappling a week (there might be a second but I'm not sure). Muay Thai is finished until November. I don't have a gym to train at (even though it's only $35/month I don't dare to spend that right now). I'm going to have a membership at the gym in January. I plan to run and lift weights, and also run sprints when the summer comes around.

The workouts I plan on doing (and have been doing, without a set schedule) at home are burpees for conditioning (the set with a pushup and a jump) and pushups/varients of situps/bodyweight leg work for general strength.

I have a few questions I'd like to throw out there. How hard should I be working myself with the burpees? The exercise seems to be mainly an-aerobic in nature. I start at fifteen burpees and work my way down to ten with a one minute break in between, and this often has me DEAD after the workout and breathing VERY heavy. I usually feel like puking before the exercise is over. If you think that is sad, yes I know, just kindly stfu. I'm going to work on this until I can take 30 second breaks in between each set and perform it, then with that work my way down to five, and after that work my way back up to fifteen.

The bodyweight exercises for strength are on a whole different intensity level. I break a sweat but I'm not dead after the work out. I do three sets of pushups (one set done slow for conditioning, one set done quickly for power and one set done with my feet on the bed at a moderated speed for strength), three sets of random ab-work exercises, three sets of squats (one set done half speed, the next full speed, the last half speed and half the way down) and three sets of lunges. I'm currently doing 25 of these each but I'm going to change the number to suit my strength in each exercise.

Is changing the way the same exercise is performed between reps a good thing to do or should I just be focusing on one trait like strength, conditioning or power? How hard should I work for a workout like that?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 8:29am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why wait on the roadwork? It's really good. Without access to weights, you're not really going to be building too much strength, so focus on the conditioning and flexability.

But yeah it all sounds good. if you're out of shape the best plan is the one you stick with. keep at it and as you get better shift the focus to your worst area.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 12:30pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're looking for a general conditioning workout without weights, check out the BUD/S Warning Order.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 7:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Why wait on the roadwork? It's really good. Without access to weights, you're not really going to be building too much strength, so focus on the conditioning and flexability.

But yeah it all sounds good. if you're out of shape the best plan is the one you stick with. keep at it and as you get better shift the focus to your worst area.
    Roadwork is not "really good." It's really stupid esp if someone's overweight. Running period does heavy damage to joints.

Try swimming, it's the best way to combine a bit of both aerobic and anaerobic style exercises. Plus, you won't do damage to your knees, ankles.. etc.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 11:20pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Equipoise
    Roadwork is not "really good." It's really stupid esp if someone's overweight. Running period does heavy damage to joints.

Try swimming, it's the best way to combine a bit of both aerobic and anaerobic style exercises. Plus, you won't do damage to your knees, ankles.. etc.
    Bah. Running is fine. It's not like he's 600lbs jogging down stairs. Swimming would be better tho.

But hadn't seen you post in a while. So where you been?
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    12/02/2006 1:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finishing my degree and police stuff, but I'm back!