My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 6:57am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slindsay
    Are there any differences in the two systems or are they the same thing with different names?
    They are similar but MCMAP hads some things like Ryukyu karate and suck at the ground.

MCMAP is geared more towards staying up. They cover ground fighting mainly to teach a Marine how to get back to his feet to either stomp the BG, shoot him, or detain him. They also do more with the weapons at the earlier stages of training, I think.

I got to train with the Head instructor from the MACE at Quantico for a bit. Also will get to bring them up to teach some of the system to my unit. :) Should be fun. I'm sure the Reservists will hate me afterwards.
    They are BOTH geared to staying up. I don't know why pple make this mistake just becaues BJJ is involved. MACP starts with BJJ because its the area most pple don't do well so we build from the ground up. From what I have seen training with the Marines here the ground phase of MCMAP needs more work. They were easy to take down and then made big mistakes like trying to choke me why they are in my guard, which leads to either a sweep or armbar, or when mounted trying to punch up, which usually leads to being armbarred. They actually practice these things which are big NO NOs.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 8:04am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is the quality control like on the smallest scale (whatever this sort of thing would be drilled at after basic) in the army?

Just asking cause I know some really, really, shitty blues that end up taking over the ground instruction.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2006 8:53pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, Judo, WTF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    If you have to prove yourself on the battlefield, you've already lost. So with that in mind, your TMA training should give you the courage and self-discipline to desert your unit and run to Canada.
    Yep. Especially if your Ki-Cho-Hyung fails to scare the crap out of the would-be attackers...:ninjadanc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 8:55am

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA

They are BOTH geared to staying up. I don't know why pple make this mistake just becaues BJJ is involved. MACP starts with BJJ because its the area most pple don't do well so we build from the ground up. From what I have seen training with the Marines here the ground phase of MCMAP needs more work. They were easy to take down and then made big mistakes like trying to choke me why they are in my guard, which leads to either a sweep or armbar, or when mounted trying to punch up, which usually leads to being armbarred. They actually practice these things which are big NO NOs.

People probably make the mistake because that seems to be the area that is emphasised. My experience with it is just the stuff from the level one course. I haven't really seen anything else except from the manual.

Like I said about MCMAP, from what the head NCO told me, the ground stuff isn't emphasised the same way because they want a Marine to get back up and finish it. :XXbazooka That would obviously lead to a lower level of ground skills since that isn't the emphasis. They also train in weapon retention and take-away, something that I haven't realy seen in the Army. They are two different beasts.

BTW, Asia, love the Santa Ninja.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910