C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 9:39am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost
    You just wanted to show off that shiny new Supporting Members tag...yeah, yeah, I know - I'm getting around to it!
    Shush!
    And you'd better get one soon!
    Tonuzaba

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 9:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stunt-Thug
    I'm Back with more. So far as my humble resources have been able to find, Burke has
    1. Never been in Special Forces,
    2. NEVER been in Delta, and
    3. As far as we can tell, never even been in the military.

His film resume is largely false, according to the Screen Actors Guild.

Now I appeal to those of you with more experience than myself. How best do I pursue this man's dishonorable claims? I know that there is a law on the books that makes it illegal to claim to be a soldier, but who enforces that? It isn't Army CID, I have asked. Also, there is now the question of ID theft. Where next?
    Humm is correct in that you MUST get all of your ducks in line. It is as simple as putting down all of Burke's claims and checking off whether they have been verified or unverified. For the ones that you have specifically discovered are misleading or outright false, write down where you received the info that contradicts his claim.

You have to be careful in that some of the claims like the special forces and delta claims can probably be proven or disproven outright, while the 110-0 "fight" record may be explained away through semantics.

Once you have layed out your investigation look for places you need to shore up and continue your research; when you think you have everything you need put it together in an "objective" article and submit it here in the article section. The site admins will look it over and PM you with any questions about it and will decide if it can be posted. The tighter and more complete your investigation is the better.

As far as impersonating a soldier, I do not know what the specific elements of the crime are and I will look through the USC (United States Code) and see if I can find anything regarding this and I will post it here.

Good luck.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 10:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is probably applicable with regard to falsly claiming you are a memeber of the armed services where it is the persons intent to use that false personation to obtain financial gain.

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 43--FALSE PERSONATION

Sec. 912. Officer or employee of the United States

Whoever falsely assumes or pretends to be an officer or employee
    acting under the authority of the United States or any department,
    agency or officer thereof, and acts as such, or in such pretended
    character demands or obtains any money, paper, document, or thing of
    value, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three
    years, or both.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 742; Pub. L. 103-322, title XXXIII,
    Sec. 330016(1)(H), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)
    This is the only code section that I could find that may apply under these circumstances. I did not do an exhaustive search of the code so there may be something wrapped in to some other section.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 10:29am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ/Boxing/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well it's hard to believe this guy is speacial forces, those guys keep everything they did and do under wraps. Secondly there is no way an asian american was excepted by a traditional martial artist of Japan, back in those times. Maybe if the Master he learned from moved here and taught him, it would be believable. If he makes all these claims he should have proof, so call him out on it, and find the proof, otherwise it is irrelevant, what he does because it does'nt effect you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2006 11:03am

Style: Puttin the pain on fools

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost
    Dude, I don't want to know anything about that!!
    it's my **** in a box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F0H04vz_Bc

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 9:42am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaChance
    Well it's hard to believe this guy is speacial forces, those guys keep everything they did and do under wraps.
    Wrong they don't brag but, they do talk.

Secondly there is no way an asian american was excepted by a traditional martial artist of Japan, back in those times.
    Wrong, there would be no kung fu or karate in America if this was true. Do research before you run your mouth. Hopefully, you meant accepted.

Maybe if the Master he learned from moved here and taught him, it would be believable. If he makes all these claims he should have proof, so call him out on it, and find the proof, otherwise it is irrelevant, what he does because it does'nt effect you.
    Shut up. 100% of what you just said is wrong.

Like I said earlier ST, you need to provide proof of the research you are doing. Links to his statements and websites, links to where you have verifying information, and any people you have contacted.

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 2:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello,

First off, let me start off by saying that my intent by throwing my hat into this discussion is not to get into a back and forth argument about an individual's Military background and or their Martial Arts claims. I've read the entire thread, as an interested party, and as the only other contributor to the thread that has actually met Billy Burke I simply felt that I needed to add another dimension to the thread, that's all.

A little background on me....in my youth I studied under Ed Parker, or should I say that I studied in his dojo....under other instructors and I occasionally saw Parker in the dojo...my only contact with him being a swift kick to the gut during our promotion ceremonies. But at least I can honestly claim the above. I've spent my life working in the firearms industry....so you can imagine that I have a well developed BS meter.

My son attends the Dojo that Billy Burke teaches at. I originally chose the House of Champions for my son because it appeared to be a clean, spacious Dojo with an up-beat and healthy attitude. They also seemed to have a well rounded program. My son started there at age 4, and the Sensei that teaches the young pups is awesome....his name is Dan Mayid.... I have never seen any human being, in any capacity have a better raport with small children...enough said there.

Here goes the Billy Burke part..... My now 6 year old son has been a Weapons Student of Billy Burke at HOC for several months, during which I have had the opportunity to observe him in action as an instructor. Initially, my BS meter was pegged after reading his BIO, but I figured..."what the heck, we'll try anything once"..... I can honestly tell you after watching his first class, that I just didn't care if he was BS'ing about his background or not.

What I have been able to observe in Billy Burke is an individual that sincerely cares about teaching. I have watched him patiently work with a student that could barely tell right from left, using a blend of understanding teacher and unforgiving taskmaster that turned the student around by the end of the class. I've watched him spend his own time helping students through a problem. There is a running joke among the parents, regarding the time of his Saturday 11:15-12:00 weapons class, because it' never 45 minutes long....more often that not he keeps the class going for an hour and a half, and then takes the advanced students (who had to hold back with the rest of the class) for another 20 minutes to push them further. I think that's called dedication.

I can tell you that the proof is in the Brass on the Shelf, my son took 1st place in weapons, his 1st time out, after 4 classes with Billy...as a 6 year old in a 6-8 year old division to boot!

Delta??? SF???? Seal Trainer???? can't answer that. Don't know....Don't care.

All I know he's great with the Kids...and that's enough for me.

Sorry for being long winded...it's just the way I am..

Slamfire

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 4:20am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamfire
    ...as the only other contributor to the thread that has actually met Billy Burke I simply felt that I needed to add another dimension to the thread, that's all.
    Welcome to Bullshido, Slamfire!
    Good to read something from a guy with personal experience on the thread's topics.
    Please, change the letter format back to default, I almost lost my eyesight while reading your post. Thank you.
    The thing is IMO no matter how good any instructor is with the kids, if they claim BS MA history or BS anything, they're not good for the kid. If you want a dedicated trainer who'd give your kid a good workout and a sense of reponsibility, etc..., make him attend a soccer club or any other sport. You'll find a bunch of excellent and dedicated trainers who'd never even dream of falsely claiming to have won the WorldCup or something...
    Imagine your kid in a few years, praising his teacher with the words "oh and he was the toughest green beret in the world" = spreading the BS further, living in a lie...
    Besides, your post said nothing about Burke's actual fighting abilities or experiences and he's not only teaching kids.
    Is he legit for people who want to learn self defense/how to fight?
    Why would he make up stuff in the first place?
    How can you trust him with anything new he says with all the old (apparently) BS he has said before and still claims on the website?

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 4:23am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamfire
    Hello,

First off, let me start off by saying that my intent by throwing my hat into this discussion is not to get into a back and forth argument about an individual's Military background and or their Martial Arts claims. I've read the entire thread, as an interested party, and as the only other contributor to the thread that has actually met Billy Burke I simply felt that I needed to add another dimension to the thread, that's all.

A little background on me....in my youth I studied under Ed Parker, or should I say that I studied in his dojo....under other instructors and I occasionally saw Parker in the dojo...my only contact with him being a swift kick to the gut during our promotion ceremonies. But at least I can honestly claim the above. I've spent my life working in the firearms industry....so you can imagine that I have a well developed BS meter.

My son attends the Dojo that Billy Burke teaches at. I originally chose the House of Champions for my son because it appeared to be a clean, spacious Dojo with an up-beat and healthy attitude. They also seemed to have a well rounded program. My son started there at age 4, and the Sensei that teaches the young pups is awesome....his name is Dan Mayid.... I have never seen any human being, in any capacity have a better raport with small children...enough said there.

Here goes the Billy Burke part..... My now 6 year old son has been a Weapons Student of Billy Burke at HOC for several months, during which I have had the opportunity to observe him in action as an instructor. Initially, my BS meter was pegged after reading his BIO, but I figured..."what the heck, we'll try anything once"..... I can honestly tell you after watching his first class, that I just didn't care if he was BS'ing about his background or not.

What I have been able to observe in Billy Burke is an individual that sincerely cares about teaching. I have watched him patiently work with a student that could barely tell right from left, using a blend of understanding teacher and unforgiving taskmaster that turned the student around by the end of the class. I've watched him spend his own time helping students through a problem. There is a running joke among the parents, regarding the time of his Saturday 11:15-12:00 weapons class, because it' never 45 minutes long....more often that not he keeps the class going for an hour and a half, and then takes the advanced students (who had to hold back with the rest of the class) for another 20 minutes to push them further. I think that's called dedication.

I can tell you that the proof is in the Brass on the Shelf, my son took 1st place in weapons, his 1st time out, after 4 classes with Billy...as a 6 year old in a 6-8 year old division to boot!

Delta??? SF???? Seal Trainer???? can't answer that. Don't know....Don't care.

All I know he's great with the Kids...and that's enough for me.

Sorry for being long winded...it's just the way I am..

Slamfire
    That's what ex-students of Tiger Klay said too.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 8:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Howdy, Slamfire. I'd like to second Tonz's motion; please post in standard font and color. It would be much appreciated.

I have no firsthand experience with Burke. That said, I personally would not want my child learning MA from a guy who lies about his past (which may or may not be the case with Burke). I would imagine that you want your child to learn more than just MA at the school - you also want him to learn responsibility, confidence, and honor. At least, that's what most parents want children to learn in a kiddie MA class. Can you really learn those principles from an instructor who lies about his experience? I'm not a big fan of the 'do what I say, not what I do' line of instruction...
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast