Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 4:27pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by myth
    While I have read most of the posts and responces to Billy Burkes military "exploits" and martial arts background, I certainly can't confirm his military history. However, I can make a comment about his martial arts training and teaching abilities.

I have knew Billy when he was a radio disk jockey in Philadelphia in the very early 80's. He was 23 years old when I knew him. He had personally trained me in karate and kickboxing. I trained with him for about 5 years until he went to LA to do radio.

The information I knew to be personally true is that he did train in Korea or Japan in TKD or Tang so DO, acheiving the rank of 3rd black. He was a military brat whose father was stationed in either Japan or Korea, (can't remember which) His mother is full Japanese.
    I understand her did receive his first black as child, although I do not kow which age.

Myself a black belt in judo, can attest to his skills in Judo as well.

When he trained me, he did so with no renumeration. He was hard, disciplined and incredibly giving of his time and knowledge. He accompanied me many times to my Jujitsu classes and gave seminars on fighting frequently. I personally learned a great deal from him. I can also attest to his forms ability. One year at Temple Universirty the TKD club was hosting a large tournament and symposium. Billy attended with me, and was coxed into helping judge. He also competed in the black belt forms division. After not competing in forms for years he took 2nd place.

When I was a wild teenager, he took me under his wing and mentored me. Without his direction I probably would not have turned out as well.

I wish I could offer opinion on his exploits or training in the military, but I can't. I do recall him being a tad egotistical and and headstrong. I do believe that has helped him be as successful as he is so far.

I think that anyone who has trained under him will say the same as me, atleast I would hope.
    HEWO! YOU WRACK DICIPWIN! Heheh sorry. Thanks for the info.

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 4:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu - Japanese

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah I certainly did lack discipline, but tell what 17 year old doesn't (I mean other than my 17 yo students).

Tonuzaba, I have read his bio at HOC. I can see where anyone could question the veracity of the bio. But, as I mentioned I know what he did for me. Out of respect for that, I cantall you I'd have my kid is his classes in a heartbeat. Hopefully that qualifies my faith in him. Other parents are free to make their own assessments of him and his background.

Myth

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, it interests me. Both of the people who have had experience with this guy are telling the story of a committed and skilled teacher. Neither of them had seen the website. Perhaps this is a case of a webmaster posting his own glorified version of Burke's history?

It makes me wonder if he's seen it. If he's the 'real deal' as people are saying, perhaps he doesn't even know what the website says.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 7:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Myth, can you get in touch with him and invite him to answer these questions?
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 8:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu - Japanese

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Concerning Mr Burke

Feryk, I have seen the website a few times. If I remember from a bout two years ago, this has been toned down some to what it says now. I am quite certain Billy is well aware of what is posted there. I just have some respect for him to not question him about the military side of it or the training with some of the masters as listed. I do not recall him ever really mentioning to me, at least the names of the masters he had trained under.

I have lost contact with him. Although, I am sure I could contact him at the HOC school. I do think Mark Parra knows what on the website. If he condoned it, who am I to question?

Has anyone else trained with or know him currently that posts to this forum? I do think a lot of instructors embellish their resume per se. I think its inherent in the business since it is so competitive. I don't add to my resume, although I had trained with Bruce Lee when he was in Seattle. I was only 8 months old at the time though. Jump kicks are a bitch when you can not walk yet.

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 8:33pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Embellishing a resume is a serious problem among martial artists - the fact that it is common does not make it okay. Incidentally, this is Bullshidoka Argument #16 (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52223). If a martial arts instructor pads his resume, it is to make him appear to be more of an expert so he can attract customers. Those customers are learning under false pretenses; they mistakenly believe they are training with an expert.

Since you know him, I would prefer you contact him to invite him here to address the issues that have been raised, but this thread has enough in it for me to do it if you don't.
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 12:49pm

Style: Shorin Ryu Kenshin Kan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by smillard
    Did anyone read the bio's on the other instructors? Jacov Bresler who was a member of the Navy Seals in Isreal
    Actually, and even better BS is says he "volunteered" for the SEALS...not that he served. I knew a couple of guys in boot camp that "volunteered" as well. They took the test, passed and then the career counselors said, "Great...see you when you're in the fleet." Suckers...

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 2:31pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost
    ...If a martial arts instructor pads his resume, it is to make him appear to be more of an expert so he can attract customers. Those customers are learning under false pretenses; they mistakenly believe they are training with an expert.
    Since you know him, I would prefer you contact him to invite him here to address the issues that have been raised, but this thread has enough in it for me to do it if you don't.
    Heavily seconded.
    Myth, there's no reason for an honest expert to spice up his/her resume.
    Either one is an expert and the resume, but more importantly the work/results speak for themselves, or one isn't.
    In which case one might be tempted to pump up the resume/advertisement in order to catch as many naive customers as possible.
    Which is a practise Bullshido stands up against.

Would be really great if you could get Mr. Burke to come here and explain the background of his claims.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 3:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Email sent.

Quote Originally Posted by My Email
    To: mparrahoc@sbcglobal.net

To Whom it may Concern:

I post on Bullshido.net, the #1 martial arts website in the world. One of the threads has raised several concerns about the background and experience claimed by Mr. Billy Burke. I would like to invite Mr. Burke to respond to those concerns, which can be found at this link: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48433. I look forward to hearing from Mr. Burke.

Thank you,

- O.L.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 8:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An embellishment is a minor decoration. Claiming to have been a Delta Force operator is not a minor thing. Claiming to have trained with someone after he died is not a minor thing.

Myth, it sounds to me as if you are probably capable of helping out here. You state:
    I have knew Billy when he was a radio disk jockey in Philadelphia in the very early 80's.
    Sooo. . . . by the early 1980's, Billy Burke was NOT a special-forces operator in either the 7th Special Forces Group or the Dreaded D, but rather a radio DJ. HE says that he enlisted in 1979 and went on to serve in the 7th and teach combatives in both units--is it your belief that he served for something like two to three years from enlistment to retirement from those units and then instantly established himself as a DJ in Philadelphia? It doesn't sound likely.
    Or is it your position that you respect the man for what he did and will not speak ill of him even if it's true? I guess that's your choice to make, but remember that even if he didn't lie to you, that doesn't mean he isn't lying to a LOT of other people. When he tells someone that he's got a record of 110-1 in PKA competition, and that guy decides to train with him based on that statement, it matters whether it's true or not!
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast