Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 9:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido Slamfire. Good post ( I agree with the font though, please show mercy on my eyes!!).

There are multiple levels to any investigation conducted by the members of this site. Typically, you get person "A" claiming that he holds rank in "X", "Y" and "Z" and/or his particular style is "the bestest and most realistic self-defense MA in the worlds" and this is directly due to its 5000 year lineage handed down by Cro-Magnon man from the dinosaurs and aliens who built the pyramids.

Here we have a guy who has alleged all of the typical special forces bullshit that your typical MA charlatan spits to bolster his reputation and bring money into his school. This is essentially a fraud perpetrated on the consumer in order to get the consumers money. Outing these people and providing a forum to inform consumers is the over riding goal and purpose of this site.

Now, at this point in the thread nothing has been proven but the red flags for BS credentials seem to be flying high.

You seem like a very involved parent and a good Dad. By reading this thread you have been informed of the potential for BS and the site has served its purpose. As a father I understand your perspective in that your son is happy, your pleased with what he is learning and how he is being taught, and until you see something detrimental there is no reason to remove your son from something he enjoys. I would probably do the same thing although I would now watch a bit closer given the knowledge gained from this thread.

Burke may indeed be good with children; there is no reason to doubt your first hand account. However, the question remains, is he lying about his credentials and experience in order to garner profit for his school?

Again, good post and welcome. You took a chance and stepped off right in to the deep end of this forum pool. Keep a thick skin because, unlike other MA forums, verbal punches are never pulled and your monitor may drip with sarcasm.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 4:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Slamfire;

I can absolutely empathize with your feelings about this guy. A good instructor is hard to find, and one that is great with kids is even harder. However, if his 'legend' is a lie, then it tells you something about him. And that something is that you don't want him as a role model for your son.

What happens as your son grows older? The bond of trust between them will strengthen and grow. Because of the respect based culture of most dojos, the Sensei is usually held in very high regard. Your son will progress in his art, and face challenges of his own. He will need men of integrity to go to when his life gets hard, and he has to take a stand on his principles. Would you want your son to go to someone you suspect of being a fraud?

The Sensei-Student relationship is supposed to be one of high trust. In fact, it almost has to be as your son will be pushed to his physical, emotional and mental limits on his path through martial arts. That means your son's Sensei will have a measure of control over your son's life, thoughts and possibly actions. Do you really want to put him through that with someone you cannot entirely trust?

Perhaps it is different in this place, and your son is only learning the physical forms from this guy. I know in my dojo, I placed a lot of trust in my Sensei, both for myself and my children. In the end, it was a mistake. It ended up being painful for all involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^
    Nicely said, great post, Feryk!

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 9:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can certainly agree with and respect the opinions and arguments stated above. Rest assured that I would never put my son into a position where any Sensei could influence him in a negative manner. I agree that it is a position of utmost trust. I'd like to believe that in the end, I'll still have the most influence over the kind of man that he becomes. I also realize that if I was a serious practitioner, instead of merely an interested observer, my opinion would carry both more merit, as well as emotion.

I threw my hat into the ring, intending to neither defend or vindicate him...simply to add another perspective. I can honestly say that I have never heard him do any self-promoting in class. In fact if not for reading his BIO here and on the website, I would have had no reason to ever know about the "background" issue.

He teaches my munchkin's weapons class once a week. So far, I'm happy with the results.

Maybe, due to my 20 odd years working in an industry where everyone has a "story"....I've become dulled to the whole thing. I tend to take people based more on what they can offer me, personally, rather than what they say. Like I said, seems like everyone has a story these days.

Again, just consider me someone that decided to just throw in another perspective in order to stir the pot a bit.

To the individual that applauded me for jumping right into the deep end of an argument.....LOL..... all i can say is that I've always liked the deep end......it's where all the fun seems to always be happening!

later!

Slamfire

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 10:00pm

Style: S.H.I.T. MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamfire
    I can certainly agree with and respect the opinions and arguments stated above. Rest assured that I would never put my son into a position where any Sensei could influence him in a negative manner.
    o rly?

Quote Originally Posted by slam
    I agree that it is a position of utmost trust. I'd like to believe that in the end, I'll still have the most influence over the kind of man that he becomes. I also realize that if I was a serious practitioner, instead of merely an interested observer, my opinion would carry both more merit, as well as emotion.
    I think the absurdity of this statement fails to vindicate the previous one.

I threw my hat into the ring, intending to neither defend or vindicate him...simply to add another perspective. I can honestly say that I have never heard him do any self-promoting in class. In fact if not for reading his BIO here and on the website, I would have had no reason to ever know about the "background" issue.
    So fellow bullshidoka, is this website really working?

He teaches my munchkin's weapons class once a week. So far, I'm happy with the results.
    wow! now explain to me why a child would need to know how to use a weapon?

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 10:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch989
    I wondered about that. I can only think that the little guy is learning some flashy forms for the next XMA competition. Anything else would be too disturbing to contemplate.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 12:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hi again,

I once heard someone say that this nation isn't about "needs", it's about "wants". If you want "needs", look at some poor nation where they "need" things like food and clean water.

He doesn't ... "need"... to learn a weapon....just like he doesn't "need " to study Martial Arts, skateboard, play baseball or do any of the other things he does. However, he does enjoy all of the above... which is what it's all about isn't it?

I'll tell you what he "doesn't" do...he doesn't waste hours playing video games like most of his buddies at school, he doesn't act out or smart talk......he gets straight A's (granted, it's first grade)...and he actually "wants" to go to the Dojo 5 days a week... he loves it.

While his schoolmates are surfing the cable cartoon channels, stuffing their faces or nuking some city on their PS2.....he's sweating his butt off at the Dojo. Most kids could show you how to use their Gameboy, mine could show you a pretty respectable Kimura....

I'll concede that the weapons part might be "flashy XMA stuff", but what the heck, it makes him feel good about himself when he gets it right.....the smile on his face is worth a million bucks.

Okay...bye for now....I have a new video camera I need to figure out how to work now

Adios.

Slamfire

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 9:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu - Japanese

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

About Billy Burke

While I have read most of the posts and responces to Billy Burkes military "exploits" and martial arts background, I certainly can't confirm his military history. However, I can make a comment about his martial arts training and teaching abilities.

I have knew Billy when he was a radio disk jockey in Philadelphia in the very early 80's. He was 23 years old when I knew him. He had personally trained me in karate and kickboxing. I trained with him for about 5 years until he went to LA to do radio.

The information I knew to be personally true is that he did train in Korea or Japan in TKD or Tang so DO, acheiving the rank of 3rd black. He was a military brat whose father was stationed in either Japan or Korea, (can't remember which) His mother is full Japanese.
    I understand her did receive his first black as child, although I do not kow which age.

Myself a black belt in judo, can attest to his skills in Judo as well.

When he trained me, he did so with no renumeration. He was hard, disciplined and incredibly giving of his time and knowledge. He accompanied me many times to my Jujitsu classes and gave seminars on fighting frequently. I personally learned a great deal from him. I can also attest to his forms ability. One year at Temple Universirty the TKD club was hosting a large tournament and symposium. Billy attended with me, and was coxed into helping judge. He also competed in the black belt forms division. After not competing in forms for years he took 2nd place.

When I was a wild teenager, he took me under his wing and mentored me. Without his direction I probably would not have turned out as well.

I wish I could offer opinion on his exploits or training in the military, but I can't. I do recall him being a tad egotistical and and headstrong. I do believe that has helped him be as successful as he is so far.

I think that anyone who has trained under him will say the same as me, atleast I would hope.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 11:04am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Myth, welcome to Bullshido!
    Good to see another personal reflection, but...
    ...Please, take your time and do read not "most of the posts" but all of them (at least in this thread), including Mr. Burke's bio on the webpages linked somewhere here.
    Read the bio and ask yourself point by point if that stuff is true or even likely to be true.
    There are thousands of MA students who have been to Asian countries or currently live and train there, yet none of them claim to be the first 3year old judo black belt or so.
    Try to reflect on the biography unbiased by your experience with Mr. Burke.
    Then come back and let us know what you came to.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 4:24pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamfire

Hi again,

I once heard someone say that this nation isn't about "needs", it's about "wants". If you want "needs", look at some poor nation where they "need" things like food and clean water.

He doesn't ... "need"... to learn a weapon....just like he doesn't "need " to study Martial Arts, skateboard, play baseball or do any of the other things he does. However, he does enjoy all of the above... which is what it's all about isn't it?

I'll tell you what he "doesn't" do...he doesn't waste hours playing video games like most of his buddies at school, he doesn't act out or smart talk......he gets straight A's (granted, it's first grade)...and he actually "wants" to go to the Dojo 5 days a week... he loves it.

While his schoolmates are surfing the cable cartoon channels, stuffing their faces or nuking some city on their PS2.....he's sweating his butt off at the Dojo. Most kids could show you how to use their Gameboy, mine could show you a pretty respectable Kimura....

I'll concede that the weapons part might be "flashy XMA stuff", but what the heck, it makes him feel good about himself when he gets it right.....the smile on his face is worth a million bucks.

Okay...bye for now....I have a new video camera I need to figure out how to work now

Adios.

Slamfire
    You could have simply said he enjoyed it. Would have been enough for me...yeah 3rd world poverty sucks but its not a big factor in justifying how a child spends their free time.
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112131420 ... LastLast