Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is this a Mcdojo???

Ok folks, here the question.

There is a particular area in my neighborhood I know that teaches a martial arts place. Now Im just going to list things here, and you can go ahead and make the decision for yourself.

First let me begin by saying that a martial artist told me the place is a pretty crappy place to teach, and alls it a "Kroty" school.

1. The dojo is very small. Its roughly about 8 meters by 10 meters.

2. The student numbers are also very small. Usually ranging from 3-8 students coming in (though I think there are a total of 50 students).

3. Its a Karate school (pretty much already said :P)

4. There is a belt ranking system that starts from white, yellow, orange, purple, blue, green and black ( I think ).

5. The class also has several glass displays of trophies, pictures, medals, awards.

6. The teachers there admitted they teach Katas in order to develop balance, and perhaps speed, accuracy and perhaps power, and not for fighting.

7. The place is free and has very little promotion (had a page on local paper). Not even a website I can give you =/

8. There is no full contact sparring. The only full contact things you hit are a punching bag, and pads for a target to hit. The rest of the sparring is of course very close but no contact.

9. They also claim they're trying to keep up with modern times and are trying to teach more practical outcomes in a real life situation. Such as instead of learning repetitive things over a similar outcome to let yourself choose what to do or what you feel comes out first. Aswell as trying to add power to punches and kicks instead of lightly tapping a target when actually hitting it (bags, or punching past a person's head). And they also mention a lot about trying to fight or counter Grapplers.

10. Their head teacher is in his 70's and has said to train nearly his entire life. The other teachers have claimed to have trained since they were about 10 (they're now in their 20-30's)

11. It is also for all ages and don't divide classes into age groups.

12. The school doesn't focus or even do any ground grappling. They do throwing, very little standing grappling. It is mentioned they do ground striking, or striking from the ground or to the ground.

13. They do say that you should learn other martial arts and encourage it (since some things work better for other people, and the more you learn the better you become). They had told me of a student of theirs who had an ankle or artheritis problem, and was having trouble with some of the kata moves. They had told him to move on to something else, and the ex-student now takes up stick fighting.

14. They do some weapon training (Nunchucks, Sais, Sickles, Bo Staffs, Katanas and spears). At the same time knowing that you probably won't find such a weapon laying around in a real situation...

15. Their disciplines say to not fight unless the situation comes down to it.

16. The school is also quite "family oriented". They have pot lucks/parties/get -togethers (christmas parties, pre thanksgiving parties, halloween), aswell as taking lots of group photos of students (which I think is more than average) achieving a new belt level.

17. They also claimed that for Senior students, their focus usually changes to a more slow downed pace...More of a yoga/tai chi thing. To stretch and relax, and keep the more elder body in shape.

18. The only tournaments they admit participating in are Kata tournaments and point sparring. I think they may know they're no match for a "throw down".

=/

OmegaBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BULL RUSH ON Dmasterman!!!

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi dmasterman, welcome to Bullshido, hope you've read the FAQ's.

I'll add my two cents to some questions/points you've made.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmasterman
    Ok folks, here the question.

There is a particular area in my neighborhood I know that teaches a martial arts place. Now Im just going to list things here, and you can go ahead and make the decision for yourself.

First let me begin by saying that a martial artist told me the place is a pretty crappy place to teach, and alls it a "Kroty" school.

1. The dojo is very small. Its roughly about 8 meters by 10 meters.

Not really a factor in whether this place is a McDojo or not.

2. The student numbers are also very small. Usually ranging from 3-8 students coming in (though I think there are a total of 50 students).

3. Its a Karate school (pretty much already said :P)

4. There is a belt ranking system that starts from white, yellow, orange, purple, blue, green and black ( I think ).

This is very standard in Traditional Martial Arts like karate, alarm bells should ring if they have more then ten ranks from white to the first black belt, you'll find many TKD schools with 20

5. The class also has several glass displays of trophies, pictures, medals, awards.

Got to put them somewhere, my Judo club has similar setup, over 40 years worth to be exact

6. The teachers there admitted they teach Katas in order to develop balance, and perhaps speed, accuracy and perhaps power, and not for fighting.

7. The place is free and has very little promotion (had a page on local paper). Not even a website I can give you =/

Being free rules it out of being a McDojo for the most part by definition, as the worst offending McDojo's tend to charge huge amounts of money and deliver very little, I don't see too much harm in a small free karate dojo not making any "t3h de4dl3y" claims or handing out ranks for money.

8. There is no full contact sparring. The only full contact things you hit are a punching bag, and pads for a target to hit. The rest of the sparring is of course very close but no contact.

9. They also claim they're trying to keep up with modern times and are trying to teach more practical outcomes in a real life situation. Such as instead of learning repetitive things over a similar outcome to let yourself choose what to do or what you feel comes out first. Aswell as trying to add power to punches and kicks instead of lightly tapping a target when actually hitting it (bags, or punching past a person's head). And they also mention a lot about trying to fight or counter Grapplers.

At least there doing something instead of burying their heads in the sand

10. Their head teacher is in his 70's and has said to train nearly his entire life. The other teachers have claimed to have trained since they were about 10 (they're now in their 20-30's)

Don't see anything unrealistic here my coach is also in his 70s

11. It is also for all ages and don't divide classes into age groups.

12. The school doesn't focus or even do any ground grappling. They do throwing, very little standing grappling. It is mentioned they do ground striking, or striking from the ground or to the ground.

That's Karate in general, I'd be worried if they actually claimed to do groundwork

13. They do say that you should learn other martial arts and encourage it (since some things work better for other people, and the more you learn the better you become). They had told me of a student of theirs who had an ankle or artheritis problem, and was having trouble with some of the kata moves. They had told him to move on to something else, and the ex-student now takes up stick fighting.

14. They do some weapon training (Nunchucks, Sais, Sickles, Bo Staffs, Katanas and spears). At the same time knowing that you probably won't find such a weapon laying around in a real situation...

15. Their disciplines say to not fight unless the situation comes down to it.

I agree, don't smash your postmans face in for delivering you mail, do it for catching him sleeoping with your mum/sister/whatever

16. The school is also quite "family oriented". They have pot lucks/parties/get -togethers (christmas parties, pre thanksgiving parties, halloween), aswell as taking lots of group photos of students (which I think is more than average) achieving a new belt level.

17. They also claimed that for Senior students, their focus usually changes to a more slow downed pace...More of a yoga/tai chi thing. To stretch and relax, and keep the more elder body in shape.

Nothing wrong with that, I assume these senior citizens are not training to appear in Pride, so if they just wanna do it to keep fit, good for them, better than watching TV.

18. The only tournaments they admit participating in are Kata tournaments and point sparring. I think they may know they're no match for a "throw down".

=/

This place does not, from the sound of it even register a notch on the McDojo chart of bullshido, you really should read around in Classics and Mega Threads to see definitions on McDojo's, this place soudns quite quaint in comparison.

For example you didnt mention:

1)Ki
    2)Ninja's
    3)Lineage
    4)8 year old black belts
    5)Fat out of shape 10th dans, etc etc

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Red Sauce and Gabster, thanks for your great replies.

Though there are 3 more things I should mention.

19. They do wear Gi's with logo patches.

20. Their was mention of Ki, though they focus it more on breathing in and out and breathing excercises and relaxing to focus, and also be relaxed while fighting... Though they said that the thing about Ki giving you powers somehow applies to the physics of your mind... Maybe they meant believing in yourself ? lol.

21. (This is perhaps a vital one). One of the teachers said that most (Im going to guess he means from UFC, K1 or PRIDE) Mixed martial artists are mostly people who want to compete and are up for a good challenge, instead of waiting around for someone to attack and defend themselves. In which...the school teaches quite opposite of.